Reducing hard hits

NoSaint

I like the thinking outside of the box. I do not know if it would work - the safeties are the ones who really get the shops in. What I do think needs to be done is that on helmet to helmet hits or cheap shots that result in forcing a fumble returns the ball to the offense on a new set of downs. I think that would help a lot. We all know the head hunters are trying to knock out the best players to give their team a better shop. On about every hard helmet to helmet hit there is a fumble and for that the defense should not be rewarded, the ball should immediately be ruled down and not recoverable, to the offense on a fresh set of downs.

If they were to loosen up PI rules than Patriots DB's would practically be performing penetration acts on their pass coverage.

Truly it wouldn't have to be anything radical. Taking the hits out helps the O, allowing a little more hand play helps the D. Shouldn't change the game too much. Man coverage is more fun to watch anyway.

Add in the mouthpieces and chinstrap being regulated and I think there are enough tweaks to be safer without hurting gameplay... Possibly improving the quality of the product while protecting players.

I think there has been a huge over reaction to the leagues decision to give out suspensions. What they are looking at are mostly Safeties playing a receiver for a hit instead of playing the ball. It's not hard for a referee to spot. They aren't taking away big hits. Anyone that has ever played football has been in a situation where a receiver is obviously venerable. They won't be making calls on guys running with the ball, just guys making catches.

It's a CONSCIOUS decision to time the hit, and go for the body instead of the ball.

Will there be more completions over the middle because it will be less intimidating? Probably. So what? Plenty of violence left for those of you that get off on that aspect of the game.

I hope Harrison retires, what an Azz.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

That was my first thought too OP. I think its already unbelievable how tight they call the pass interferences and D holding calls. Go back to the days when the DBs could actually cover nad I think you will see many less opportunities to take someones head off. Not to mention a much better brand of football.

I like Ditka's suggestion---no helmets.

Don't tell me there isn't a small company who has sent prototypes of a new helmet to the NFL, only to find out Riddell has the monopoly.

Helmets can now be fitted with accelerometers that measure impact. Git 'er done, and suspend the offenders like you suspend juicers..

I like Ditka's suggestion---no helmets.

Don't tell me there isn't a small company who has sent prototypes of a new helmet to the NFL, only to find out Riddell has the monopoly.

Helmets can now be fitted with accelerometers that measure impact. Git 'er done, and suspend the offenders like you suspend juicers..

Is that a joke? The most of the players are juicers, and the league doesn't want to catch them.

I think that ex-players should just bequiet. Mike Dikta is the guy that wants more benefits for the injured ex-players, but he wants the current guys to play without helmets. Please. Now Joe Paterno wants them to remove the face mask. Great idea, James Harrison coming in for a hit with his shoulder into your teeth "I didn't use my helmet." "I'm gonna retire again". Brilliant.

The league /game will be fine, it's not going to make it that much different. I don't watch football for the concussions.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Take away the hard helmets. Go back to padded leather.

The head-on-head hits and spearing will stop, right quick.

How about a variation on a theme? Kelso type helmets with extra padding to absorb the shock. Most helmets are made from royalex, a polypropolyne susbtance often found in canoes. They should manufactor softer polyuorthene helmets instead. Less damage, more shock support.

How about a variation on a theme? Kelso type helmets with extra padding to absorb the shock. Most helmets are made from royalex, a polypropolyne susbtance often found in canoes. They should manufactor softer polyuorthene helmets instead. Less damage, more shock support.

The problem is that the helmets work "too good" already, giving defenders confidence to use them as weapons and lead with the crown when going into hits.

It's simple, anyone who goes for an open-field tackle and uses the crown of their helmet (meaning, face is pointed at the ground) gets a penalty and possible suspension.

I played football from practically the time I could walk, and if any of my coaches saw me going for a tackle using the technique that some of these pros use, I would've been benched.

You have to keep your face up, and see what you are hitting. If you watch the tape of all the "big hits" from this past weekend, all of the defenders have their head down. Poor technique that only causes injury to both the defensive and offensive players.

The league isnt trying to take away hitting, or even "big hits". Theyre trying to take away this fad of leading with the crown of your helmet before someone ends up dying on the field. We're only one awkward hit away from it, and have probably been MUCH closer to seeing it than anyone cares to believe.

The problem is that the helmets work "too good" already, giving defenders confidence to use them as weapons and lead with the crown when going into hits.

It's simple, anyone who goes for an open-field tackle and uses the crown of their helmet (meaning, face is pointed at the ground) gets a penalty and possible suspension.

I played football from practically the time I could walk, and if any of my coaches saw me going for a tackle using the technique that some of these pros use, I would've been benched.

You have to keep your face up, and see what you are hitting. If you watch the tape of all the "big hits" from this past weekend, all of the defenders have their head down. Poor technique that only causes injury to both the defensive and offensive players.

The league isnt trying to take away hitting, or even "big hits". Theyre trying to take away this fad of leading with the crown of your helmet before someone ends up dying on the field. We're only one awkward hit away from it, and have probably been MUCH closer to seeing it than anyone cares to believe.

How soon we forget

exactly, there ARE real dangers to all of this. the players should know better. i lose a lot of respect for people like Brian Uhrlacher when i see him crying about the rule change. as if they are telling the players they arent allowed to even touch the other team.

just keep your face up, stupid.

just enforce the rules. SPEARING is illegal. dunno exactly the pro-rules, but in ncaa it is, or should be, 15yds AND ejection.

now imagine if every hit leading with the helmet leads to an ejection.

harrison wouldnt need to retire, hed be benched by his coach if hes not willing to adjust.

again, just enforce the rules. and after 3 weeks these hits wont be seen anymore

Edited by playman

Some one is gonna die on the field in the next few years.

I don't believe that improving the equipment is going to make things worse, they are already using the helmet as aweapon, I don't think they will use it more if the gear is better.

Improving the equipment seems to be the best way to help prevent injuries.

Recruit more panzies.

Come on people its not the hard hits!! Its the HEAD HUNTERS that want to catapult their 250 + lb body and the force at a 10 lb head. Would you want that done to your head? if you do I have a sledge hammer. The palyers can still hit hard at the upper body so what are morons like Harrison that cant control what they are, complaining aout the rule? no!! Its that he isnt mature enough to admit what he did and take the fine. So we have they same rule with stiffer penalties!