Examining bad oline play

Travis

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14129204/spread-the-blame-when-examining-bad-oline-play

No surprise here, we rank last in oline play, I found Tony Boselli's assessments interesting on why it is hard to find good lineman these days. Also, I agree that the center needs to be so savy, boy do I miss Kent Hull, he was great at putting the oline in the best position to succeed.

If we have the worst OL then that must mean our QB and RB is acctually must better than advertised.

We have a bad OL but it is probably impossible to distinguish how bad 16-32 are and they are probably about the same

If we have the worst OL then that must mean our QB and RB is acctually must better than advertised.

We have a bad OL but it is probably impossible to distinguish how bad 16-32 are and they are probably about the same

All the fans posting here about how good the O line was last year in run blocking....ya know what, its basically the same line with less injuries and the same crappy blocking

Once Fred Jackson gets more carries and starts making yards on his own like he did all last year, we will again hear how good this O line is at run blocking.

Chan Gailey stated that a good RB will make the line block better, all I know is Fred Jackson DOES makes the O line look better

Mouse McNally is teaching the Jets OL from afar. It was clear that while he was coaching the Bills OL that they didn't have the talent, nor invested enough high picks on Olineman.

I don't know Joe D'Alessandris' talent, but I know he's never been an OL coach like McNally has been. If teaching OLineman is so critical, and it is, then a proven OL coach with years in the NFL should have been a hire. I just don't think Chan Gailey has the league-wide credibility to do so.

It's not related to the original post, but what strikes me from the article is how far off the current NFL trends the Bills defense is. Speed over size? More stunts? Blitzing from all angles? The Bills are busy rolling the clock back to the 1980s.

Edited by vincec

Mouse McNally is teaching the Jets OL from afar. It was clear that while he was coaching the Bills OL that they didn't have the talent, nor invested enough high picks on Olineman.

I don't know Joe D'Alessandris' talent, but I know he's never been an OL coach like McNally has been. If teaching OLineman is so critical, and it is, then a proven OL coach with years in the NFL should have been a hire. I just don't think Chan Gailey has the league-wide credibility to do so.

The one thing this front office / owner don't get and probably never will, and something that Bill Polian understands is.... you always need a really good center, someone who calls the protections for the line and knows what he is doing, like Kent Hull for the Bills- Jeff Saturday for the Colts. The Bills had the start of a dominate O line while McNally was in Buffalo but never invested in a decent center. Nothing against Hangartner he is a good backup at best. Look at the Colts draft over the last 10 years, it seems like all they draft is centers who end up at guard, while trying to find another great center to back up Saturday

The Pittsburgh Steelers were smart enough to invest their first round pick this year on a center, meanwhile the Bills took a splashy RB / KR who was "supposed" to make the O line block better :lol:

The one thing this front office / owner don't get and probably never will, and something that Bill Polian understands is.... you always need a really good center, someone who calls the protections for the line and knows what he is doing, like Kent Hull for the Bills- Jeff Saturday for the Colts. The Bills had the start of a dominate O line while McNally was in Buffalo but never invested in a decent center. Nothing against Hangartner he is a good backup at best. Look at the Colts draft over the last 10 years, it seems like all they draft is centers who end up at guard, while trying to find another great center to back up Saturday

The Pittsburgh Steelers were smart enough to invest their first round pick this year on a center, meanwhile the Bills took a splashy RB / KR who was "supposed" to make the O line block better :lol:

We have that Mangold type Center but we decide to play him at Right Guard.

Even with Mcnally , our oline has been sub-par for the last decade. I think we're on the right path with Wood and Levitre but we got miles to go before our o-line is respectable again.

I think Bosellis point about the spread have some validity. Thats why I would like to focus on the teams that DO run the ball to draft our OL. Teams like Alabama/Wisconsin/Iowa/Oklahoma to a degree. Maybe not put an emphasis on it when looking at LTs because there you want good pass blocking, but at the other 4 OL spots, if they cant run block with the ebst of them, then they shouldnt be on the team.

O-line play is a process of its own play as well as the play of the QB, RB's and the receivers the QB has to throw to. Good QB's help get the line in protection and can compensate with escape-ability via mobility. While RB's can also make the lines blocking look better then what it is. WR's also can make it so that they take attention away from blitzs and such.

I think we can make due the G's and C's its really the tackle play. We need a RT and a LT most coaches will tell you tackle play is key to line play. If I were setting up the Bills draft board it would go QB, LT, RT, anyother positions are really after thoughts as we can't have a function offense without a QB and a function O-line in front of him.

Basically get a QB and some protection for him the rest has to wait

O-line play is a process of its own play as well as the play of the QB, RB's and the receivers the QB has to throw to. Good QB's help get the line in protection and can compensate with escape-ability via mobility. While RB's can also make the lines blocking look better then what it is. WR's also can make it so that they take attention away from blitzs and such.

I think we can make due the G's and C's its really the tackle play. We need a RT and a LT most coaches will tell you tackle play is key to line play. If I were setting up the Bills draft board it would go QB, LT, RT, anyother positions are really after thoughts as we can't have a function offense without a QB and a function O-line in front of him.

Basically get a QB and some protection for him the rest has to wait

I think your under estimating the value of an all pro center, Kent Hull made that K-Gun go with the right reads and line calls. Block head Kelly executed the pass or hand off but it worked because the line had the right blocking scheme called by Hull. I agree with the other poster earlier in the thread, Bill Polian knows this and so do the Steelers.

According to NFL.com, the Bills don't even rank in the bottom 1/3 of the league...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&tabSeq=2&qualified=true

They also rank 5th in the league in yds/carry and 1st overall in "Power" rushes (runs that came on 3rd or 4th and 2 or fewer yards that gained first downs).

The stats don't lie...the Bills line isn't nearly as bad as many here would like to believe.

According to NFL.com, the Bills don't even rank in the bottom 1/3 of the league...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&tabSeq=2&qualified=true

They also rank 5th in the league in yds/carry and 1st overall in "Power" rushes (runs that came on 3rd or 4th and 2 or fewer yards that gained first downs).

The stats don't lie...the Bills line isn't nearly as bad as many here would like to believe.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/12/1745685/bills-vs-jaguars-notes-from-the-o-line-week-5

Interesting read as it relates to the Bill's line specifically. The original post was to emphasize why it is so difficult to find good lineman these days. Putting stat's and rankings aside, you can't really believe that our current O-line is above adequate. It is a weak link as well as the Defensive line. We need more talent in both sides of the trenches, you can agree with that, right?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/12/1745685/bills-vs-jaguars-notes-from-the-o-line-week-5

Interesting read as it relates to the Bill's line specifically. The original post was to emphasize why it is so difficult to find good lineman these days. Putting stat's and rankings aside, you can't really believe that our current O-line is above adequate. It is a weak link as well as the Defensive line. We need more talent in both sides of the trenches, you can agree with that, right?

Above adequate? Probably not, no. I definitely think that the tackle positions need to be improved, and that the center position could be more stout (I still can't believe that Eric Wood hasn't been moved to center; guards are much easier to come by in my opinion than great centers--which Wood could become). I'm simply saying that I don't think the performance has been as crippling to the team as other areas, such as the DL, LBs, DBs, etc.

I think that a great QB, combined with another legitimate threat (i.e. a 2nd WR or TE that teams have to game plan against) combined with 2 legitimate offensive linemen would make this team's offense formidable.

The defense, however, is going to take much more work; say, 2 pass rushers, 1 run-stuffing LB, a better NT (maybe Williams or Troup can learn the position, who knows?), safeties that can actually cover, etc.

Above adequate? Probably not, no. I definitely think that the tackle positions need to be improved, and that the center position could be more stout (I still can't believe that Eric Wood hasn't been moved to center; guards are much easier to come by in my opinion than great centers--which Wood could become). I'm simply saying that I don't think the performance has been as crippling to the team as other areas, such as the DL, LBs, DBs, etc.

I think that a great QB, combined with another legitimate threat (i.e. a 2nd WR or TE that teams have to game plan against) combined with 2 legitimate offensive linemen would make this team's offense formidable.

The defense, however, is going to take much more work; say, 2 pass rushers, 1 run-stuffing LB, a better NT (maybe Williams or Troup can learn the position, who knows?), safeties that can actually cover, etc.

Maybe the injury postponed the move. That would be great if he developed into our next Kent Hull. With a mobile QB like Fitz it helps mask the lines short coming's. Agreed the tackles need to be upgraded for sure.

On Defense we really blew it when we took Witner or Ngata and Maybin over Orakpo, that set us back a ton.

Guest dog14787

We rank 21st out of 32 teams, about as close to bottom third as you can get,(not sure how they even come up with this) only about 3 other teams with more hits on the QB. Nice to see ranking on pass protection, this seems more rushing related

The glaring truth about the Mike Martz offense is clearly evident when you look at the Bears QB hits at 45,

Edited by dog14787