What NFL rules would you change?

BuffaloinLA

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Do away with the one point PAT. How often is it missed, I usually take a toilet break during the PAT. Make them go for 2 points every score.

2. Since they now have it where you can push a reciever out of bounds trying to make a catch, allow the catch with only one foot inbounds, like college.

3. Most importantly: If a team has an entire decade with no playoff appearances, the owner is required to sell his team to the highest bidder!

Just two:

1.) Make pass interference a 15-yard penalty.

2.) Bring back the push-out-of-bounds rule. Under the current rules, hypothetically, a receiver could catch the ball smack dab in the middle of the field, be carried to the sideline and dropped there by defenders, and it would be ruled a non-catch so long as the receiver didn't get two feet down. That's dumb.

Just two:

I considered that as too many times pass interference is somewhat questionable but is a 50 yard penalty. College is a bit better with the 15 yard maximum penalty.

However, the problem would be that every a DB is beaten long, they would intentionally tackle the receiver to prevent a TD and just get 15 yards.

All these sissy rules surrounding the QB and now suspending players for hitting too hard :wallbash: Then collage rules for passing; 1 foot, 15 yds, bump all the way down the feild.

But most importantly no field goals or extra points. Touchdown will be 7 points unless a 2 point conversion is desired. The twenty yard line will be the field goal line/3point line, after FG is made team gets the same opportunity to score a touchdown (four points)as they normally would but with a new set of downs.

The reason is football should be decided by football not kickers plus there would be a lot more fourth down conversion attempts adding to the excitement/drama of the game.

The reason is football should be decided by football not kickers plus there would be a lot more fourth down conversion attempts adding to the excitement/drama of the game.

I've always thought it would be cool if you were awarded points for putting the kickoff through the goal posts. Wouldn't happen very often, but should be rewarded.

I considered that as too many times pass interference is somewhat questionable but is a 50 yard penalty. College is a bit better with the 15 yard maximum penalty.

However, the problem would be that every a DB is beaten long, they would intentionally tackle the receiver to prevent a TD and just get 15 yards.

Exactly why the league WON'T adopt that rule. I have this arguement with my college football-lovin' buddies all the time. IMO, the best they could do is give refs latitude to decide flagrant (spot of the foul) or unintentional (15 yards/auto 1st down).

I like NG's idea: 1 pt to put a KO through the uprights.

I would modify the QB slide rule. It makes no sense for the QB's rush yards to count like any others, but defenders are put back on their heels to avoid hitting, which allows him to gain an advantage. I would say that the QB can slide a maximum of five yards from the LOS. If he gets greedy and wants more yards, he risks getting hit like any other ball carrier.

Kelso had mentioned this earlier this year in a game broadcast, and I think it is worth considering.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Just two:

2.) Bring back the push-out-of-bounds rule. Under the current rules, hypothetically, a receiver could catch the ball smack dab in the middle of the field, be carried to the sideline and dropped there by defenders, and it would be ruled a non-catch so long as the receiver didn't get two feet down. That's dumb.

a receiver can NOT be carried....only pushed/shoved.

1. Do away with the one point PAT. How often is it missed, I usually take a toilet break during the PAT. Make them go for 2 points every score.

2. Since they now have it where you can push a reciever out of bounds trying to make a catch, allow the catch with only one foot inbounds, like college.

3. Most importantly: If a team has an entire decade with no playoff appearances, the owner is required to sell his team to the highest bidder!

one foot in I am for as well as the clock stops to reset the yard sticks and adopt college overtime. Fair catch, go to the CFL no yards rule, you get a return on every punt.

Fair catch, go to the CFL no yards rule, you get a return on every punt.

That is a good idea.

Exactly why the league WON'T adopt that rule. I have this arguement with my college football-lovin' buddies all the time. IMO, the best they could do is give refs latitude to decide flagrant (spot of the foul) or unintentional (15 yards/auto 1st down).

The problem is that the league is trying to get away from such subjectivity - that is why there is no longer a 5 yard face mask penalty

not likely to happen but...I would love to go to the cfl 20 second game clock instead of 40. That being said, half of the o and d line in the NFL wouldn't be able to keep up that pace. The 40 clock is made for tv commercials, which isn't too bad when you are watching at home but the 40 second clock when you are live at the game does really slow down the pace. Maybe 20 is too quick but something less than the 40, more exciting finishes as teams would have a harder time running down the clock

Get rid of the stupid "excessive" celebration penalty after a TD. Players celebrate more after a sack than they do a TD. It's just dumb and doesn't slow the game down at all.

Yes.

Also, reverse whatever nonsense they created in the last year where a pass is completed only if the receiver takes the ball home and sleeps with it for 8 hours. Having a different definition of possession for passing plays vs. running plays is beyond retarded.

A lot of great suggestions here.

Seconded:

- successful challenge = no lost challenge. What if the refs botch 17 calls? Coach only gets to correct 3 of them?

- defensive off-sides flinch rule. If you're an OL and a DE can make you flinch by moving, then you are bad at your job. Bruce Smith must shake his head every time this is called.

- Replay standard should be "whatever it looks like." Why create an artifically high standard for no good reason? Indisputable evidence? Why??

- back off on the celebration penalties OR call them for non-TD celebrations. Pick a side. I'd prefer lenient.

Additions:

- have a 5-yard version of late hit penalty. Nothing more ridiculous than walking off 15 yards because a 260 lb monster athlete couldn't stop his momentum in time to avoid hitting a RB whose toes just touched the white chalk. Stupid penalty and completely disproportionate to the crime

- offensive facemask call. If a RB wants to grab a CBs facemask and yoke him around, it's not a "stiff arm." It's a facemask. Call it.

- call offensive PI more. Especially on pick plays where a split end just clears out the nickel CB so the slot can release wide open into the flat. Almost unstoppable in the red zone and rarely called.