The great fast food burger experiment has started!

Just Jack

This article came up in my McRib Is Back thread. So today I started a similar experiment using a burger from McD, BK and Wendys. For control subjects, I also have two frozen patties of 85/15 beef and two fresh patties, also 85/15. The two frozen/fresh patties, I fried one and grilled one each per the cooking instructions on the packages. I also purchased some off the shelf package of white hamburger rolls. And jboyst62 suggested doing milkshakes also, so I have a chocolate shake from McD and BK, and also a chocolate frosty from Wendys. No control subject there.

I'm working on the road this week, so I won't be able to update each day, so my next update won't be till this next weekend. Right now, I'd say it's going to be interesting since following the cooking instructions made the control subjects appear to be well done. I'll get pictures up later this week of my "Day 0" layouts.

IMO, the artist who originally posted this did not use a scientific method. Her experimental conclusions that McD food would result in this outcome without comparison to a control is just bad science. Interesting that she did not order any condiments which would have supplied moisture that would have contributed to mold, etc. forming. If you cooked a burger well-done on your gas grill, you would have the same results. Especially if you placed it in an airtight container after it dried out as she did. I am no supporter of the golden arches or any other fast food as I don't eat that stuff but there is plenty of other data to challenge the nutritional value of this type of food rather than this method. It appears to be achieving the result she anticipated and visuals are convincing but it's not due to chemicals or additives.

IMO, the artist who originally posted this did not use a scientific method. Her experimental conclusions that McD food would result in this outcome without comparison to a control is just bad science. Interesting that she did not order any condiments which would have supplied moisture that would have contributed to mold, etc. forming. If you cooked a burger well-done on your gas grill, you would have the same results. Especially if you placed it in an airtight container after it dried out as she did.

I did consider condiments, but wanted to follow what she did closely so all burgers were order plain, just the patty and roll. I agree that they probably would contribute to making mold form. I'm leaving my containers open to the air, not sealed up. I'm also using control subjects which she did not.

These are a few of my samples, the plastic containers are new, nothing has ever been in them to prevent contamination.

The fresh sample control, on the left is fried, on the right is grilled. These were done per the package directions for time and temp cooking. Seeing how they came out, I have doubts they will get moldy any faster than the fast food burgers.

The chocolate shake samples, I'm leaving the tops on but punctured it so it's not completely sealed.

My complete testing setup.

post-9-004954500 1287450306_thumb.jpg

post-9-028379400 1287450418_thumb.jpg

post-9-081033900 1287450532_thumb.jpg

post-9-024811700 1287450603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Just Jack

These are a few of my samples, the plastic containers are new, nothing has ever been in them to prevent contamination.

The fresh sample control, on the left is fried, on the right is grilled. These were done per the package directions for time and temp cooking. Seeing how they came out, I have doubts they will get moldy any faster than the fast food burgers.

The chocolate shake samples, I'm leaving the tops on but punctured it so it's not completely sealed.

My complete testing setup.

You have way to much time on your hands. I am a bit jealous (not for the food testing experiment, just the extra time.....)

The testing is flawed, The Wendys shake is on the same shelf as the Burger King burger and the BK shake is on the same shelf as the Frozen Grilled burger.....The McDonalds burger and shake share the same shelf, therefore they can help and comfort each other out when molecular breakdown begins. The Wendys shake would never assist the BK burger since they compete in the same CNY marketplace and the BK shake doesn't even know the froz grilled burger. Throw out the samples and start again!

Edited by Guffalo

You have way to much time on your hands. I am a bit jealous (not for the food testing experiment, just the extra time.....)

It actually didn't take that long to set up, maybe an hour with making all the purchases and cooking the control subjects.

So what is it you are trying to do jack?

How much mold forms?

Shakes?

Trying to either prove or disprove the original article test. And someone suggested doing shakes also.

The testing is flawed, The Wendys shake is on the same shelf as the Burger King burger and the BK shake is on the same shelf as the Frozen Grilled burger.....The McDonalds burger and shake share the same shelf, therefore they can help and comfort each other out when molecular breakdown begins. The Wendys shake would never assist the BK burger since they compete in the same CNY marketplace and the BK shake doesn't even know the froz grilled burger. Throw out the samples and start again!

Trying to see if competing ff joints will conflict with each other.

Sunday was Day 7, I didn't bother getting any pictures. Why? Because they're all the same. Hard rolls, dried out burgers, and not a single sign of mold or anything else. I'll give it to next weekend and if there is still no change, in the trash they go.

Sunday was Day 7, I didn't bother getting any pictures. Why? Because they're all the same. Hard rolls, dried out burgers, and not a single sign of mold or anything else. I'll give it to next weekend and if there is still no change, in the trash they go.

Any idea what the temperature and/or humidity is in your house?

Any idea what the temperature and/or humidity is in your house?

Temp is/was set at 65 during the week while I'm gone, but it is a 2nd floor apt, and I noticed when I was home this past weekend, it never went under 70 even when set lower. Humidity, no clue. It's a hot-water, baseboard heat system.

Temp is/was set at 65 during the week while I'm gone, but it is a 2nd floor apt, and I noticed when I was home this past weekend, it never went under 70 even when set lower. Humidity, no clue. It's a hot-water, baseboard heat system.

I know mold grows better at warmer temperatures and higher humidity (duh). Now, what's the critical temperature and relative humidity? I don't really know. But, if it's about 70 and fairly well ventilated, that could explain the lack of mold. A well-ventilated area will keep the humidity down; that's why bread in the plastic bag will get moldy well before bread just sitting out on a counter top.

It'll be interesting to see how the shakes turn out. I'd expect them to get pretty moldly/bad relatively quickly in comparison to the burgers.

So, in the end, maybe taking a relatively dry food and just setting it out doesn't really tell us anything about how long it takes the food to degrade. Maybe that's what you'll end up demonstrating above anything else; essentially, the McDonald's lady was just off-base in her conclusion that there's anything especially bad about a McD's burger.

• 2 weeks later...