"You have to have a plan"

Got_Wood

Says Thurman Thomas. And he adds, "In the last 10 years, the Bills have not had a plan. I think (owner) Mr. (Ralph) Wilson said that a couple of days ago in an interview that he did. They were just hiring guys and signing guys, and you didn’t really know if they were football players."

It's funny, I think the same thing when looking at this team. I think a lot of people look at the Bills and say, "I have no idea what these guys are trying to do with this team." In fact, Jay Glazer recently said "I will understand women before I understand the Bills". There's something wrong with that right?

So what IS the plan? Right now, these are some things that confuse me:

- We want to convert to a 3-4 defense, yet we sign a mediocre 4-3 DE in Kelsay to an extension.

- Nix said that the offensive line was one of his top priorities in the offseason, and we didn't address the line until the late rounds of the draft.

- QB has been a huge issue for the last 10 years, yet Nix said that we "like the guys we have". Then he decides to cut the guy they liked the most 2 weeks into the season.

- The pass rush has been below average for several years here in Buffalo, and we lost the best DE we had on the team in Schobel. Do we add any help in the offseason to address this? No, we stick with what we have. Once again, we use late round draft picks to address one of our biggest problem areas.

I could mention quite a few other contradictions to our "plan" that have occurred over the past 6 months or so, but I'll stop there. Losing now is ok if it means we're trying to build something better. Sometimes you have to go through some "pain and patience" before you get to taste the joy that comes along with success. But I have to say, I'm a little worried about whether or not this front office has the ability to bring a winning team back to Buffalo. All signs are pointing to several years at the bottom. And I don't think I'm alone on this.

So, Ralph/Nix/Whaley/Madrak/Russ... what is the PLAN??? Give us something to inspire hope.

Edited by Got_Wood

IMHO ....

If I were Buddy or Chan (and I'm not) ....

Assuming neither one knew very many FACTS about this team other than we've been bad forever ... that we have had a number of high draft picks ... we've been REALLY bad forever ... prior coaching staffs have been suspect at the least ... we've redefined the term of bad the last ten years ... the offense (at least last year) was run by someone totally unprepaired to be an OC ... and did I mention how bad we've been.

My plan would be that there was absolutly no way I could even figure out what was wrong with this team let alone how to fix it until I saw the players under fire in real game situations; so I would look at this season as a 20 game preseason to figure out who is worth saving and who isn't before making any drastic changes toward rebuilding.

as far as the 3-4 ... they're shifting people around to see what is what .... Kelsay situation stumps me too

as far as the O-line ... with the turmoil and rookies and injuries of last year could they really assess what we had???

as far as the QBs .... I must admit I liked what we had during training camp and preseason too ... I soon found out I really didn't like it

as far as pass rush ... Maybin was supposed to be good wasn't he? Mcargo was supposed to be good wasn't he? (there had to be a reason we drafted them so high) Nobody knew Schobel was acually going to retire did we???

Before you all say Buddy and Chan SHOULD have known ... or at least learned quickly ... think about how much interest they SHOULD have had in following the Bills prior to them being hired. For all intense and purposes the Bills were not relevent in the NFL for a number of years, so unless you are a player on the team (or his mother) or a Bills fan, no one paid attention to what we did or who we were ... all they knew was we were disfunctional ... and bad

Also IMHO ... they will get around to fixing the 3-4 holes ... they will get around to fixing the O-line ... they will get around to fixing the O-line ... they'll get around to finding a QB, but this year is more about figuring out what the problems are, not working on solutions

The grand plan has worked over the last ten years, keep the team on the verge of making the playoffs and sell out the stadium every game...By keeping the team on the verge of the playoffs accomplishes several things.

First : it allows the team to pay only a few fan favorite semi super stars and thus keeps the player payroll under control., no 50-100 million dollar contracts on this team

Second: by hiring non big named coaches and non experienced assistants it keeps the costs of the coaches and the assistants, you notice that the team usually promotes from within the org for assistants.

Third: the president is the owner, he gets to collect a paycheck that he doesn't earn

Fourth: the scouting dept is supposed to fail on a regular basis... if they found superstar players then they would need to pay them. This way they can pay rookie contracts and then let them walk.

Fifth: the fans keep buying seats and merchandise year after year, truly devoted and exceptional fans but sadly easily misled. The plan is and has been working, the fans just don't want to see it, or believe it :bag:

IMHO ....

If I were Buddy or Chan (and I'm not) ....

Assuming neither one knew very many FACTS about this team other than we've been bad forever ... that we have had a number of high draft picks ... we've been REALLY bad forever ... prior coaching staffs have been suspect at the least ... we've redefined the term of bad the last ten years ... the offense (at least last year) was run by someone totally unprepaired to be an OC ... and did I mention how bad we've been.

My plan would be that there was absolutly no way I could even figure out what was wrong with this team let alone how to fix it until I saw the players under fire in real game situations; so I would look at this season as a 20 game preseason to figure out who is worth saving and who isn't before making any drastic changes toward rebuilding.

as far as the 3-4 ... they're shifting people around to see what is what .... Kelsay situation stumps me too

as far as the O-line ... with the turmoil and rookies and injuries of last year could they really assess what we had???

as far as the QBs .... I must admit I liked what we had during training camp and preseason too ... I soon found out I really didn't like it

as far as pass rush ... Maybin was supposed to be good wasn't he? Mcargo was supposed to be good wasn't he? (there had to be a reason we drafted them so high) Nobody knew Schobel was acually going to retire did we???

Before you all say Buddy and Chan SHOULD have known ... or at least learned quickly ... think about how much interest they SHOULD have had in following the Bills prior to them being hired. For all intense and purposes the Bills were not relevent in the NFL for a number of years, so unless you are a player on the team (or his mother) or a Bills fan, no one paid attention to what we did or who we were ... all they knew was we were disfunctional ... and bad

Also IMHO ... they will get around to fixing the 3-4 holes ... they will get around to fixing the O-line ... they will get around to fixing the O-line ... they'll get around to finding a QB, but this year is more about figuring out what the problems are, not working on solutions

Thanks for the great reply. I guess what stumped me most was an offseason where we didn't address the most glaring needs we had at OL, OLB, and QB. Just kind of odd to make those secondary concerns. I wish I had more optimism going forward.

Even if they weren't following the Bills every move, one would hope that the Bills would've hired some leaders that were enough on the ball to get up to speed very rapidly. You don't get ahead in this business by catching more naps than the other guys. It doesn't take a genius to know that the Bills were bad and the last coach was shown the door; you admit that. So, this amounts to saying these guys leapt in before realizing where it was they were jumping. Furthermore, by their own ignorance of the situation, they were forced to play a 20 game pre-season slate to figure out what sort of talent was in the cupboard.

Yikes. :bag:

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Did they really have a chance to evaluate what they had first hand prior to the draft? My feeling is no.

So if the plan was to draft what they know they needed: Big 3-4 NT, home run play maker RB, LB prospects, tall fast DE, Tall WR (they wanted a bunch on the roster, there was one)

Then work through the rest of the roster to figure out what they have, knowing there would be a top pick coming out of this season for the franchise qb or LT and continue filling holes.

If that is the plan, then I'd say they are where they expected to be... If the plan was to build a winner this season I'd say they are not

Even if they weren't following the Bills every move, one would hope that the Bills would've hired some leaders that were enough on the ball to get up to speed very rapidly. You don't get ahead in this business by catching more naps than the other guys. It doesn't take a genius to know that the Bills were bad and the last coach was shown the door; you admit that. So, this amounts to saying these guys leapt in before realizing where it was they were jumping. Furthermore, by their own ignorance of the situation, they were forced to play a 20 game pre-season slate to figure out what sort of talent was in the cup

Yikes. :bag:

In order to "rebuild" something doesn't one have to "tear it down" first? :thumbsup:

- We want to convert to a 3-4 defense, yet we sign a mediocre 4-3 DE in Kelsay to an extension.

Nix explained the reason they gave Kelsay an extension was that he was a part of a core of several good (but not great) players that set the tone for what they want everyone else to be.

- Nix said that the offensive line was one of his top priorities in the offseason, and we didn't address the line until the late rounds of the draft.

it's pretty clear that, even though upgrading the OL was a priority, the guys they ranked high on their board were gone by the 9th pick. Except for Trent Williams, none of the OTs drafted after have shown much so far.

- QB has been a huge issue for the last 10 years, yet Nix said that we "like the guys we have". Then he decides to cut the guy they liked the most 2 weeks into the season.

This has been beat to death. Trent Edwards looked good to very good until the real bullets started flying. They believed they could coach him up and minimize his tendencies by disguising the playbook. When that didn't work, they quickly cut their losses. Arguing hindsight 20-20 is fine, but doesn't change what happened.

- The pass rush has been below average for several years here in Buffalo, and we lost the best DE we had on the team in Schobel. Do we add any help in the offseason to address this? No, we stick with what we have. Once again, we use late round draft picks to address one of our biggest problem areas.

Schobel drove them nuts with his lack of commitment. They went in a different direction based on a number of question marks and used most of their early draft picks on the defensive front 7. Please name a veteran player that was willing to come to Buffalo and that would have improved the pass rush this season...

I could mention quite a few other contradictions to our "plan" that have occurred over the past 6 months or so, but I'll stop there.

Other than hiring a proven 3-4 DC and maybe an OC, what else you got?

I realize you're frustrated, we all are, but IMO they have a plan: build through the draft, recruit mid-level, experienced FAs, pay the players you think represent what you're building (on/off the field), and get rid of players that don't meet your objectives.

There is no plan...if there were they should verbalize it.

They have not evaluated what they have. They have not drafted assistant coaches wisely and have let some very good coaches (April and Fewell) go. They should have known they didn't have realistic talent to go 3-4. o-line was in disarray.

If they had planned they would have used this draft to address any of three obvious weaknesses...OT/QB or nose tackle. You "plan" by addressing areas of weakness...

This isn't a secret plan...they should set out what they intend to do and then go ahead and do it. People who buy season tickets an pay for NFL coverage are only so patient. If they knew exactly WHAT the plan was they might be a little more patient.

I realize you're frustrated, we all are, but IMO they have a plan: build through the draft, recruit mid-level, experienced FAs, pay the players you think represent what you're building (on/off the field), and get rid of players that don't meet your objectives.

This was one of my other huge issues with the rebuild. We brought in a good teacher for a head coach, and I like that. BUT, Chan is also responsible for running the offense himself. So, why would they go hire an inexperienced defensive coordinator? Now our defense has gone backwards from last season, and our offense is struggling to improve because Chan is worried about coaching that side of the ball as well. Seems a little overwhelming for a new head coach I think.

Nix explained the reason they gave Kelsay an extension was that he was a part of a core of several good (but not great) players that set the tone for what they want everyone else to be.

it's pretty clear that, even though upgrading the OL was a priority, the guys they ranked high on their board were gone by the 9th pick. Except for Trent Williams, none of the OTs drafted after have shown much so far.

This has been beat to death. Trent Edwards looked good to very good until the real bullets started flying. They believed they could coach him up and minimize his tendencies by disguising the playbook. When that didn't work, they quickly cut their losses. Arguing hindsight 20-20 is fine, but doesn't change what happened.

Schobel drove them nuts with his lack of commitment. They went in a different direction based on a number of question marks and used most of their early draft picks on the defensive front 7. Please name a veteran player that was willing to come to Buffalo and that would have improved the pass rush this season...

POST OF THE YEAR.

Thanks for the great reply. I guess what stumped me most was an offseason where we didn't address the most glaring needs we had at OL, OLB, and QB. Just kind of odd to make those secondary concerns. I wish I had more optimism going forward.

QB none were very good after the #1 pick Bradford

We drafted 2 LB's and we needed help on the D line 4 pics on D. Chan has said that he likes Bell and they did not need a LT.. An I have to belive they had no idea how bad Green was going to be. Ed Wang will come along and be a solid RT

POST OF THE YEAR.

I disagree.

Nix wants other players to be "like" Kelsay? That's a big problem, I think.

On a crappy team, more draft picks should be playing. Some are injured. Others sitting behind crappy vets and FA's.

Gailey's staff, other than ST coach, are in the wrong place (the NFL).

I just don't accept that, while "rebuilding", the team should take such a drastic step backwards--even from last season---with mostly the same talent.

Look, if we were 1-15 or 2-14 the past few years, I would be more inclined to agree with the guys giving CG and Nix an absolute free pass on the disaster that the season has become. But they simply were not this bad last year. Don't give me Schobel and TO nonsense. This is the same team, minus most of the injuries last year.

Everyone said we would be at least as good as with DJ. Well, the opposite is true and the same guys want the rest of us to forget about all that and accept 2 or 3 more seasons of losing---just because there's a "plan".

In order to "rebuild" something doesn't one have to "tear it down" first? :thumbsup:

Not in Buffalo. In Buffalo, you take a nap first. Second, you spend a season evaluating which part of the house to tear down. Then, you tell everyone to suffer pain and be patient because there is a plan. Some day on the stealth schedule, you'll be in the position to actually show up at the work site.

Or the schedule is abruptly terminated and the estate sale happens and those frittering away the hours that make up a dog day are sent out to pasture...

Edit: But, who are you trying to kid anyway? It's a football team. It wasn't working; if it were Jauron would still be here. That's obvious to anyone that has a few functional brain cells. There were obvious problems with the team that anyone earning a paycheck as a professional scout could have told you about. It's a myth that the only path to building a team is to tear down a team by voiding all the talent in a long, slow deliberate flushing motion and then and only then roll up the sleeves and figure out what to do with an 0-16 or 1-15 sort of flaming crater in the ground. It is proven and quite possible to get rid of bad players AND bring in better players. If you have a plan.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Says Thurman Thomas. And he adds, "In the last 10 years, the Bills have not had a plan. I think (owner) Mr. (Ralph) Wilson said that a couple of days ago in an interview that he did. They were just hiring guys and signing guys, and you didn’t really know if they were football players."

It's funny, I think the same thing when looking at this team. I think a lot of people look at the Bills and say, "I have no idea what these guys are trying to do with this team." In fact, Jay Glazer recently said "I will understand women before I understand the Bills". There's something wrong with that right?

So what IS the plan? Right now, these are some things that confuse me:

I could mention quite a few other contradictions to our "plan" that have occurred over the past 6 months or so, but I'll stop there. Losing now is ok if it means we're trying to build something better. Sometimes you have to go through some "pain and patience" before you get to taste the joy that comes along with success. But I have to say, I'm a little worried about whether or not this front office has the ability to bring a winning team back to Buffalo. All signs are pointing to several years at the bottom. And I don't think I'm alone on this.

So, Ralph/Nix/Whaley/Madrak/Russ... what is the PLAN??? Give us something to inspire hope.

Unless Nix is completely senile, his only plan that makes sense to me is for him to get rid of as many players on this team that he won't end up drafting. The easiest way for him to do that, in my opinion now, as I watch this mess transpire in front of me, is to do nothing the first year and watch as many of them fail as possible. I think his real "plan" will finally start to take shape the day this joke of a season ends, and he finishes cutting or allowing to walk away all the rest of the players he doesn't want around. By March 1st, 2011, when UFA signing begins, I think he will be ready to go after "his" vision of a football team for real. And then he will follow that up with his second draft, and I expect that to be pretty good, too.

Unfortunately for Buddy and his "plan", the strike / lockout looming around the day after the draft or shortly there-after, will certainly have a big impact on things.

How could any semilucid person even begin to remotely believe that April and Fewell would have had even the slightest desire to stay after being passed over for the head coach position. Picture Buddy Nix telling either one that they were just what he needed or wanted AFTER telling them that they were not up to the task of being head coach. He might as well try selling them the Brooklyn Bridge.

How does a professional sports team have a plan when they've got a 92 year old owner who admits they need another 3 years? And said owner already hired a 70 year old man for GM who hires a 58 year old man who's had multiple spins on the coaching merry go-round with little success in 9 years? And aside from firing a bad Pro Personnel Director, what's changed in the front office to demonstrate non-football people aren't still influencing decisions? Nothing.

If more Bills fans expanded their minds and looked at how other teams rebuild, they'd understand by the end of Year 0 there should be some good signs. Sure it's early, but they're grasping at straws already. The DC is throwing the kitchen sink out there, is rotating guys and still can't stop Jacksonville from rolling up 450 yards and scoring on 8 of 9 possessions. Offensively, I've seen little from Gailey to get his prized possession, their 9th overall pick, the ball. The OT's are a revolving door of terrible, and they were either A) fooled by Edwards off-season or B) arrogant to think they could change him. Ughhh.

Changes aren't necessarily better. It's more rearranging of deck chairs.