"You have to have a plan"

Got_Wood

IMHO ....

If I were Buddy or Chan (and I'm not) ....

Assuming neither one knew very many FACTS about this team other than we've been bad forever ... that we have had a number of high draft picks ... we've been REALLY bad forever ... prior coaching staffs have been suspect at the least ... we've redefined the term of bad the last ten years ... the offense (at least last year) was run by someone totally unprepaired to be an OC ... and did I mention how bad we've been.

My plan would be that there was absolutly no way I could even figure out what was wrong with this team let alone how to fix it until I saw the players under fire in real game situations; so I would look at this season as a 20 game preseason to figure out who is worth saving and who isn't before making any drastic changes toward rebuilding.

as far as the 3-4 ... they're shifting people around to see what is what .... Kelsay situation stumps me too

as far as the O-line ... with the turmoil and rookies and injuries of last year could they really assess what we had???

as far as the QBs .... I must admit I liked what we had during training camp and preseason too ... I soon found out I really didn't like it

as far as pass rush ... Maybin was supposed to be good wasn't he? Mcargo was supposed to be good wasn't he? (there had to be a reason we drafted them so high) Nobody knew Schobel was acually going to retire did we???

Before you all say Buddy and Chan SHOULD have known ... or at least learned quickly ... think about how much interest they SHOULD have had in following the Bills prior to them being hired. For all intense and purposes the Bills were not relevent in the NFL for a number of years, so unless you are a player on the team (or his mother) or a Bills fan, no one paid attention to what we did or who we were ... all they knew was we were disfunctional ... and bad

Also IMHO ... they will get around to fixing the 3-4 holes ... they will get around to fixing the O-line ... they will get around to fixing the O-line ... they'll get around to finding a QB, but this year is more about figuring out what the problems are, not working on solutions

Your position is pretty much nonsense.

1. I know the Bills were not followed much by outsiders to the organization, but Buddy was employed all of last season by the Bills. I guess not being the smartest guy in the room is probably pretty accurate. But then again, Buddy probably did not spend much time anywhere near OBD, since he was milking his semi-retiremnet from Tennessee. 

2. You claim that they needed to keep what they had to evaluate in this 20 game pre-season.

Please explain then why then they did not keep 2 of the better veteran OL players -Incognito and Scott. 

Incognito would be starting at RG, Wood should be moved to C and Scott would be a huge improvement at either OT.

Both of them probably could have been signed for less than the super-stud Cornell Green.

These moves alone seriously question the talent evaluation and team building skills of our rookie GM and re-tread coach.

The grand plan has worked over the last ten years, keep the team on the verge of making the playoffs and sell out the stadium every game...By keeping the team on the verge of the playoffs accomplishes several things.

First : it allows the team to pay only a few fan favorite semi super stars and thus keeps the player payroll under control., no 50-100 million dollar contracts on this team

Second: by hiring non big named coaches and non experienced assistants it keeps the costs of the coaches and the assistants, you notice that the team usually promotes from within the org for assistants.

Third: the president is the owner, he gets to collect a paycheck that he doesn't earn

Fourth: the scouting dept is supposed to fail on a regular basis... if they found superstar players then they would need to pay them. This way they can pay rookie contracts and then let them walk.

Fifth: the fans keep buying seats and merchandise year after year, truly devoted and exceptional fans but sadly easily misled. The plan is and has been working, the fans just don't want to see it, or believe it :bag:

The plan has worked for 50 years.

Ralph likes it so much, he brought in Brandon to continue it

Brandon was brought up in the Marlins organization which pretty much perfected it in the baseball world. 

However, the Marlins have good scouts and a real GM who actually bring in good, young players who make the team competitive. But no matter how successful the team may be, the bottom line is always number one and the payroll is always at the league bottom .

How does a professional sports team have a plan when they've got a 92 year old owner who admits they need another 3 years? And said owner already hired a 70 year old man for GM who hires a 58 year old man who's had multiple spins on the coaching merry go-round with little success in 9 years? And aside from firing a bad Pro Personnel Director, what's changed in the front office to demonstrate non-football people aren't still influencing decisions? Nothing.

If more Bills fans expanded their minds and looked at how other teams rebuild, they'd understand by the end of Year 0 there should be some good signs. Sure it's early, but they're grasping at straws already. The DC is throwing the kitchen sink out there, is rotating guys and still can't stop Jacksonville from rolling up 450 yards and scoring on 8 of 9 possessions. Offensively, I've seen little from Gailey to get his prized possession, their 9th overall pick, the ball. The OT's are a revolving door of terrible, and they were either A) fooled by Edwards off-season or B) arrogant to think they could change him. Ughhh.

Changes aren't necessarily better. It's more rearranging of deck chairs.

I know that right now its easy for posts like this to make sense.....but I dont agree here.....Buddy Nix did have a hand in good drafts in San Diego.....he knows what he is doing when it comes to bringing in drafted talent. I have no problem that he is the GM of this team. I dont have a problem with Chan Gailey either.....he is playing the cards he was dealt and it isn't a good hand.

I wish people would stop ragging on ALL of the OT's on this team....D. Bell has been very good....whoever we put at RT has been very bad.....Wood isn't ready to play yet....Hangarter is not a starter....and Levitre has been insconsistnt....but the fact is if we didn't bring in that chump Cornel Green and got a decent RT our OL would be much better.

I think this was the mandate....Ralph to Buddy "I am not going to overpay for free agents just so they will come here...improve this team through the draft"

So....that is what he is doing....and the better draft pick you have in each round the better chance of getting a decent player. To me it really is that simple......they are evaluating players like its preseason and getting an idea of who they dont want on this team next year.

One sticking point with me is Maybin....if we are gonna stink on defense then play the damn kid and let him cut himself. Not having a first round pick defense player on a crappy defense not on the field is downright embarrising........