Which QB WILL the Bills Draft and which QB SHOULD they draft

Since it looks like the Bills will have the #1 pick or close to it, they should have their choice of any QB in the draft. Ralph seems to be saying that they plan to use the pick for a QB, so the question is:

Which QB SHOULD the Bills pick?

and

Which QB WILL the Bills pick?

To start it off, I think the Bills should draft Christian Ponder from Florida State

But I think the Bills will pick Jake Locker from University of Washington

Edited by polish lover

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

Personally, and some of the more knowledgeable posters when it comes to college prospects say he will drop to the mid to late rounds, I like Greg McElroy out of Alabama. McElroy has thrown 26 TD's to 7 INT's from the 09 season up until current 010 and has a 169 QB rating. Greg McElroy QB's one of the best teams in the nation and to say he's a proven winner is an understatement, all Greg McElroy does is win football games.

So my best case scenario is to draft Mallet or Luck in the first, then back it up with Greg McElroy in the later rounds.

Edited by dog14787

Guest dog14787

Well I have no idea what the Bills first round draft position will be but if it's #1 overall, then they should - and will - pick Ryan Mallett.

If, OTOH, they don't draft a QB 'til rounds 3 or 4, they MIGHT pick Jake Locker (but shouldn't).

and then back all that up even better by snagging Graham Harrell from the Green Bay Packers, Let Harrell, McElroy, Mallet/Luck and Brohm battle for the start next season. The Buffalo Bills need to start putting the same amount of attention into the QB position as they have DB's over the last decade.

Some attention to the TE position would also be nice...especially with developing QB's, duh

Edited by dog14787

and then back all that up even better by snagging Graham Harrell from the Green Bay Packers, Let Harrell, McElroy, Mallet/Luck and Brohm battle for the start next season. The Buffalo Bills need to start putting the same amount of attention into the QB position as they have DB's over the last decade.

Some attention to the TE position would also be nice...especially with developing QB's, duh

I think that starts looking like overkill. I like the Harrell Idea and taking a QB in the first round, but they have to get some OT's TE's LB's and DE's at some point too. more likely they will keep fitz around as a solid backup solution and let Brohm, Harrell and the #1 pick fight it out

It doesn't matter who they choose as QB, as the QB isn't the huge issue at the moment.

They need an OL, they need a DL, they need a LB corps, they need new WRs, they need new TEs...

And most of all...

They need new coaching, front office and ownership.

I'm a little worried about the Bills drafting a QB if we don't have a sufficient line to protect him for a few years. It could retard his growth and prevent him from maturing. I feel like you always build from the lines out

I agree but I think they have made a pretty strong statement of intent to draft a QB with the #1 pick. If they get some OT's through FA this coudl work out. I think the middle of our line is fine. I'd rather see them bring in veterans for the line than draft picks.

I think we should take Mallett if he's there when we're on the clock. I think Nix makes the right call. Mallett is a big, strong armed QB who would immediately step in and make an impact. He can make every throw and would be able to learn under Gailey, a guy who seems to get the most out QB he can.

I think we should take Mallett if he's there when we're on the clock. I think Nix makes the right call. Mallett is a big, strong armed QB who would immediately step in and make an impact. He can make every throw and would be able to learn under Gailey, a guy who seems to get the most out QB he can.

He'll be there. They will all be there when we are on the clock

He'll be there. They will all be there when we are on the clock

Not if he stays in school, he won't. Same goes for Luck.

I'm not sure I would spend an early first-round pick on either Ponder or Locker. I think that if they were the best available, I'd rather grab a stud lineman, and see if one or the other is available in the second. If not, it's Luck or Mallett in 2012. I'm willing to wait 2 years if all of the pieces are going to come together, rather than rush the job and have eight more years of 7-9.

Not if he stays in school, he won't. Same goes for Luck.

I'm not sure I would spend an early first-round pick on either Ponder or Locker. I think that if they were the best available, I'd rather grab a stud lineman, and see if one or the other is available in the second. If not, it's Luck or Mallett in 2012. I'm willing to wait 2 years if all of the pieces are going to come together, rather than rush the job and have eight more years of 7-9.

one of those two guys will definitely make themselves eligible for the draft this year if not both. especially if they have strong seasons like they are having. The reality is that these guys are not really getting much of an education. they spend all their time playing football. They can go back and finish their joke degrees later or do summer programs while they are playing in the NFL as many players have done in the past. If they are still talking about these guys going top 5 in 2011, they are not going to pass up on $40 million dollars to finish their "education". Going back for another year is high risk, you have a bad season or get hurt and it can cost you $30 million or more.

I wouldn't spend any pick on Locker, he has bust written all over him. But I think the Bills will draft him.

Edited by polish lover

Guest dog14787

I'm a little worried about the Bills drafting a QB if we don't have a sufficient line to protect him for a few years. It could retard his growth and prevent him from maturing. I feel like you always build from the lines out

Nothing stopping us from upgrading the O-line via FA in my opinion if necessary especially considering how hit and miss Linemen are when making the transition from college to the NFL.

As far as the O-lines concerned, we could sure use more experience/proven talent on this football team.

Edited by dog14787

Ryan Mallett is the best fit for the Buffalo Bills. Coming into the season Mallett was my clear cut #1 QB prospect and Luck has crept up on him, but I still like Mallett best.

If Andrew Luck declares, which I do not think he will, the Bills will have a lot of film to study in the offseason.

I've talked a lot about Mallett in the past, so I won't go into great detail, but here's my quick take:

He has the best arm & play-action fake of any QB in college football. He has excellent pocket presence and reminds me a little bit of Phillip Rivers the way he maneuvers in the pocket. He's also plenty tall to scan the field.

Some weaknesses he needs to work on are accuracy, especially on the short to short/medium passes. He tends to put to much zip on the short balls making them less catchable.

BTW I'm not a big fan of Locker. I think he'll end up going in the first round, but he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top 5 picks. In the end I think he belongs in the middle to late 1st round, but the way Tebow soared up draft boards it wouldn't surprise me to see him go higher. Lockers biggest problem is that he's extremely average in the pass game. He often stares down receivers and doesn't read his progressions well. His athleticism is outstanding, but in the NFL you need a guy who can sling the ball ov er the field and Locker is not that guy.

Personally, and some of the more knowledgeable posters when it comes to college prospects say he will drop to the mid to late rounds, I like Greg McElroy out of Alabama. McElroy has thrown 26 TD's to 7 INT's from the 09 season up until current 010 and has a 169 QB rating. Greg McElroy QB's one of the best teams in the nation and to say he's a proven winner is an understatement, all Greg McElroy does is win football games.

So my best case scenario is to draft Mallet or Luck in the first, then back it up with Greg McElroy in the later rounds.

I really like your thinking. The 2011 draft will feature three or four QB's that will likely go in the first round, and who are capable of being great - reminiscent of Eli/Ben/Phillip draft. But, in 2011 there will be another handful of Qb's who have really great college production and who could be (and I think will have a few end up being really good NFL QB's, too) good NFL QB's. So, I say, if we're so bad at that position then you take a shot at a few of them - because we can get F.A. players at other positions - like O-line. I'd be drafting a couple QB's and a bunch of linebackers - heck, I'd be happy to see, in this order, QB, OLB, OLB, QB, LB, LB until we've got a stable of young guys from which a few, at least, will be good enough.

If we're going to have to wait two more years to see a good team, I'd be happy to come out of next years draft with the QB position and the LB position settled, and we could fix the O-line and D-line in F.A. - because there should be enough of those guys available to do so. And fine tune the roster in 2012.

Nothing stopping us from upgrading the O-line via FA in my opinion if necessary especially considering how hit and miss Linemen are when making the transition from college to the NFL.

As far as the O-lines concerned, we could sure use more experience/proven talent on this football team.

What FA OL players are likely to be available next year?

This is not my writing but it is an as of Oct 1 2010 draft assessment from some draft site:

Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas - Scouting Report

Height: 6-7. Weight: 238.

Projected 40 Time: 5.05.

Projected Round (2011): 1-2.

10/1/10: Mallett's team is winning and he's putting up good stats, but if you take a closer look his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open. We're not buying the hype anymore, and neither should you.

3/29/10: At 6-7 with a massive arm, Ryan Mallett looks like a franchise quarterback. His 2009 numbers (3,624 yards, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 9.0 YPA) will tell you that as well. He's a bit raw and needs to work on decision-making, but he could easily leapfrog Jake Locker on this list next year.

Based on this assessment I think that Mallet would get knocked unconscious in the first game at least with the current Buffalo line. Even if we bring in some guys it is likely that it will be a while before the O-line solidifies...

Guest dog14787

What FA OL players are likely to be available next year?

Always seems to be a few, couldn't tell you to be honest though,

I'll bet there are probably a few poster's who might be more on top of individual players in the league who may be disgruntled or nearing the end of their contracts. I would like to believe that's part of our scouting departments responsibility, but who knows with the Buffalo Bills.