If there is no nfl next year and the Bills secure the #1 pick...

rocwocka

i know that the draft goes on anyway, but do we have the #1 pick in the following years draft? That would be pretty exciting (although it could bankrupt the team :w00t: ) when football resumed, we'd probably have a lot of young talent ready to go. just trying to put a positive spin on our situation...

I'ce heard lotto for top 8 if it happens bu nobody ever says how they know this.

Another important question is i they picks in 2011 (after this year) get contracta now or wait till new cba with likely rookie payment changes...that will directly effect our chances at getting certain highly touted underclassman since it will effect their decision to come out early...

Either way i dont think there will be a lock out but there could be...nfl has tough issues to get through that they don't seem to be making progress with.

i know that the draft goes on anyway, but do we have the #1 pick in the following years draft? That would be pretty exciting (although it could bankrupt the team :w00t: ) when football resumed, we'd probably have a lot of young talent ready to go. just trying to put a positive spin on our situation...

more than likely yes...won't bankrupt team because a rookie salary cap will be in place

Edited by matter2003

Excuse the cave man speak above I'm typing on a phone. Assuming though..that the idea behind a draft lotto is to prevent tanking...we should get two #1s anyway b/c we are clearly the worse team in many years...even if we win a game...we're worse than the Lions at least the Lions had a few random guys that were clearly good...we have none.

i don't see how a lottery works w our situation. a lotery is to stop teams from purposely tanking, but if we end up with the 1st pick in next years draft and dont play any football all of 2011, how do they punish us with a lottery. if anything, it would probably be best to give the worst nfl teams 2 years to try to level the playing field.

I'm not so sure the draft goes on anyway, unless the NFL says so. Let's just say, hypothetically, that the NFL does indeed lockout players and there is no football next year. That would be kind of ignorant to still hold the draft if say, someone like Andrew Luck wanted to go pro after this year. So, if an underclassmen wants to go pro, declares himself for the draft and gets an agent, then there's no NFL season....that player is screwed. I'm not so sure the draft wouldn't be halted. Of course though, it also really sucks for this year's seniors if they are drafted and then there's no football.

God, what a mess this will be.

no, i know that there will def b a 2011 draft no matter if theres a lock out or not. im just curious what happens if there is a complete stoppage and assume no 2011 nfl season. i still believe they have a draft in 2012. hmmm, i wonder if none of the 2011 drafted players get signed, due to no new collective bargaining agreement, if they all enter the 2012 draft again - now thats a mess. i would hope that wouldnt b the case... :wallbash:

First of all, just because a lockout occurs to START the season, it doesn't mean that it would last all year. that would be unprecedented.The likelier scenario is that they play with scabs; by week six or seven,some veterans making minimum start to come in; the players settle for the best deal they can get and you have a 6 game season with expanded playoffs. This would establish the draft order for the following season.

In the unlikely event that a lockout killed the whole season, I would think they would go with a weighted lottery involving all non-playoff teams of 2010, like the NBA does with their draft.

Dont know how their gonna do it but am willing to bet somehow we get screwed over.

I believe there will be a lockout. I believe the tv networks will be furiously pissed over this as the money is guaranteed from them. So essentially bank on the lockout because someone will still pony up on the next contract and NFL network will be getting larger all the time.

Scenario from a poisoned Bills fan:

Lockout means next years draft is cancelled as there is no play going forward. No contract agreement.

Following year play resumes. Draft goes on at normal time and is based solely on lottery. Bills lotto comes in around 28. We dont get two number 1's and will end up taking a corner at 28.

Sorry, guess I've been around here too long. :w00t:

There will be a draft in 2011...the NFL has already said so and it does seem like they'll retain the same draft order in 2012 if the lockout lasts the whole season

First of all, just because a lockout occurs to START the season, it doesn't mean that it would last all year. that would be unprecedented.The likelier scenario is that they play with scabs; by week six or seven,some veterans making minimum start to come in; the players settle for the best deal they can get and you have a 6 game season with expanded playoffs.

There's no such thing as scabs or replacement players in a lockout. A lockout happens when employers refuse to pay employees...a strike happens when employees refuse to go to work and the employers have the option of bringing in scabs

They will do just like what the NHL did a few years ago, they will have next years draft go on as usual (If players are fearful of missing a season, they won't opt out for the draft this year and will stay in for another year (so the Bills probably wouldn't get the "best of the best" at the #1 pick, just the "Best of whats available" if they get teh #1 overall spot), and then when they are ready to come back out of the lockout a year later they will have a lottery that would be weighted by previous draft standings, awarding teams more chances at the top spot. Its how the Caps got Ovie #1 in the lockout year, and the Pens took malkin #2, then won the lotto for Crosby

no, i know that there will def b a 2011 draft no matter if theres a lock out or not. im just curious what happens if there is a complete stoppage and assume no 2011 nfl season. i still believe they have a draft in 2012. hmmm, i wonder if none of the 2011 drafted players get signed, due to no new collective bargaining agreement, if they all enter the 2012 draft again - now thats a mess. i would hope that wouldnt b the case... :wallbash:

Realistically (and this was written into nearly every contract with bonus money next year) - a team would schedule money to be paid coinciding with the start of the season instead of an earlier date (ie start of the league year, June 1, or training camp). Rookies often see large roster bonuses at the end of year one//start of year two-- this year the high picks were forced to kick those til after the season started in 2011 instead of a spring or summer date. I'm sure signing bonuses for a 2011 draft pick (assuming a lockout) would be modest with much larger chunks coming later in the year.

One scenario I could see working out in buffalos favor is if a Stud QB enters the draft (LUCK), to be drafted first overall because he knows that if he enters the following year there will be a rookie cap.

The players who are drafted in the 2011 draft cannot sign until there is a new CBA, if the CBA has a rookie cap as many suggest, Luck or any other player considering declaring would be signed under the rookie cap. This is why it is ridiculous to assert that the Bills wouldn't draft a QB high in next seasons draft if the opportunity presents itself solely based on money. Odds are the money will be determined for them.

I'm guessing, but I would assume the clock to sign the players would start when the new CBA is signed. If this were a reality they would almost certainly work some sort of rule into the CBA for the 2011 drafted players to avoid the problem you speak of.

Fans Guide to NFL Labor Battle - Link

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

One scenario I could see working out in buffalos favor is if a Stud QB enters the draft (LUCK), to be drafted first overall because he knows that if he enters the following year there will be a rookie cap.

First, nobody knows whether or not a rookie cap will be part of a new bargaining agreement. Second, for many people the difference between potentially maybe $40 million and potentially maybe $70 million isn't all that great compared to the absolute knowledge that he would be able to have a definite year in college, would definitely be able to graduate and would definitely become more draftable with more college experience making him a fit in both the Parcells QB draft selection system and the 24 - 26 - 60 draft selection system.

It might have an effect, but would more likely not, because the money differential is only a guess at a possible future.

i don't see how a lottery works w our situation. a lotery is to stop teams from purposely tanking, but if we end up with the 1st pick in next years draft and dont play any football all of 2011, how do they punish us with a lottery. if anything, it would probably be best to give the worst nfl teams 2 years to try to level the playing field.

But only the fans of the worst few teams think this way.