How does our defense suck this bad??????????

DUFF

Right off the bat...Im not saying that our defense was good last year, still couldn't stop the run, but they kept points off the score board with the "bend don't break" mindset. Last year many were saying that our defense wouldn't look as bad if the offense could ever sustain a drive and give them a break. 26 points would have won quite a few games for us last year. As awful as the game went, Fitz was 20 for 30 with 220yds and 2tds...0 interceptions! what the hell is going on here??? (i know we have a new DC, and switched to a 3-4 defense (even though we barely us it))...is george edwards that bad?

ps... if i see kelsay back in coverage one more time i am gonna :censored:<_<:censored::censored:

I can't believe George Edwards is the best defensive coordinator that Gailey could find. He is a LB coach and our LB's are the worst in the NFL. There are about 10 better defensive coordinator options out there. If this continues and he remains the DC after this year, I fire this whole regime. This team can't even be competitive.

1. Poor preparation by defensive coaching staff

2. DC not making adjustments during the game

3. Lack of talent - especially at LB

4. Lack of effective pass rush - QB's have all day in the pocket

5. Undersized NT - Kyle Williams plays with heart, but does not possess the prototypical size for a 3-4 NT. Troupe will develop and I was happy to see that the Jags were doubling up on him several plays today.

Yep, Fewell was better than Edwards, plus Nix did nothing to get players who could play in the new scheme.

OK, really, not trying to be a smart a** here....

Nix brought in Dwan Edwards, Reggie Torbor, Andra Davis, and Akin Ayodele.

3 of the 4 are starting.

George Edwards had direct experience with all three of the linebackers (he was LB coach of the Browns when Davis was there, and coached both Torbor and Ayodele on the Dolphins.

I would tend to ASSume that Edwards either asked for these guys, at least approved bringing them in as guys who could play in the new scheme.

Not as stars, but as solid veteran players who could "get it done"

So where does it come from that Nix did nothing to get players who could play in the new scheme?

It seems to me Nix brought in 3/7 of the DL, and 2 of the 4 starting LB may reasonably be expected to be Edward's chosen?

I can't believe George Edwards is the best defensive coordinator that Gailey could find. He is a LB coach and our LB's are the worst in the NFL. There are about 10 better defensive coordinator options out there. If this continues and he remains the DC after this year, I fire this whole regime. This team can't even be competitive.

The Bills defense is the worst in the league. They are yielding over 31 pts. per game against. The opposing QB's have averaged a QB rating of almost 120 against the Bills and we are not talking Brees, Manning or Rivers either.

Why is Ralph Wilson so quiet? He hired the bums who have allowed the Bills to stink and sink this low. He hides in Detroit and counts his money and every week the Bills continue to embarrass a proud region.

They should rename Ralph Wilson Stadium now and call it "The House that Ralph destroyed" What a shameful legacy!

OK, really, not trying to be a smart a** here....

Nix brought in Dwan Edwards, Reggie Torbor, Andra Davis, and Akin Ayodele.

3 of the 4 are starting.

George Edwards had direct experience with all three of the linebackers (he was LB coach of the Browns when Davis was there, and coached both Torbor and Ayodele on the Dolphins.

I would tend to ASSume that Edwards either asked for these guys, at least approved bringing them in as guys who could play in the new scheme.

Not as stars, but as solid veteran players who could "get it done"

So where does it come from that Nix did nothing to get players who could play in the new scheme?

It seems to me Nix brought in 3/7 of the DL, and 2 of the 4 starting LB may reasonably be expected to be Edward's chosen?

"Nix brought in Dwan Edwards, Reggie Torbor, Andra Davis, and Akin Ayodele.

3 of the 4 are starting."

Exactly and now the Bills defense is the worst in the league. Nix hasn't a clue and every week he proves it with his decisions past and present. They are getting worse under Gailey and Nix.

The Bills defense is the worst in the league. They are yielding over 31 pts. per game against. The opposing QB's have averaged a QB rating of almost 120 against the Bills and we are not talking Brees, Manning or Rivers either.

Why is Ralph Wilson so quiet? He hired the bums who have allowed the Bills to stink and sink this low. He hides in Detroit and counts his money and every week the Bills continue to embarrass a proud region.

They should rename Ralph Wilson Stadium now and call it "The House that Ralph destroyed" What a shameful legacy!

Dude,

You said it all. I completely agree. Just a shame what is on the field across the entire defense and the O line. We are the worst team in the league because we have just horrible talent everywhere but RB, K and P. It is not fair!! A lot of our starters would not even be a backup on many teams. And that includes Poz who can not cover ANYONE. And don't forget our supposed great DB's. Why don't our safeties cover the middle of the field when the tight end is running between the hashes?

Loosing Schobel hurt makes a big diff. Pass rush... pash rush... what pass rush... don't talk about pass rush...

The radio guys today mentioned something as to why Kelsay is continually dropping into coverage. I believe it has something to do with the fact that we CANNOT and HAVE NOT been able to cover ANY TE's thus far. Perhaps 'Lil Donte can flesh it out further?

people don't want to hear it, but Dick played the only defense that could games close by not giving up quick scores and big yardage.

The cover-2 forced teams to not make many mistakes to go long distances for scores. That defense worked against medicre teams- of which there are many in the NFL.

Nix and Gailey made the switch in defense to ensure a tanked season. They need a QB and need the top pick in the draft to ensure it.

At some point, when they replace the entire front 7, the 3-4 may work to beat real NFL teams - but that won't be anytime soon

I love how so many posters are quick to discredit Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis,when in actuality, both players would be starting in most 3-4 defenses. Do not underestimate the need for a playmaker at OLB. Every team that successfully runs a 3-4 has some type of monster off the edge.

Having that one player automatically upgrades all 11 positions on the field. Until we get that player who we can create mismatches with, teams will continually be able to impose their will on our defense. By having a James Harrison, Demarcus Ware, or Clay Matthews on the outside you essentially take away a large portion of a team's playbook. Do we have studs at other positions?? Probably not. But, I do believe we have legitimate starters at some positions on D:

Above Average Starter

Kyle Williams - not a stud, but would feature heavily in every 3-4 across the league

Dwan Edwards - see Kyle Williams

Leodis McKelvin - with a pass rush McKelvin would surely be considered above average corner....easily our best CB in man

Jairus Byrd - tough to judge him playing behind this D

Average Starter

Marcus Stroud - if he continues to play like he did today

Donte Whitner - as much as I dislike the guy he is in the same situation as Byrd. Will never be a playmaker, but he can provide a presence down field and in run support.

Andra Davis - borderline above average/average starter....solid in run support....was above average in Denver

Below Average Starter

Paul Posluszny - want to like the guy, but he gets steamrolled way to much. ILB needs to be able to shed blocks even against interior lineman. No awareness in zone coverage.

Drayton Florence/Terrence McGee - both are having down years so far...hopefully Florence is a victim of our lack of pass rush...McGee may be on his last leg as a Bill.

Everyone Else

Right off the bat...is george edwards that bad?

Of course he is. He is an obscure linebackers coach that Chan Gailey and only Chan Gailey thought had all the tools to be a fine DC coming from his linebackers coaching history. Nothing against Edwards himself, but other then Gailey coaching with him in KC and Miami, what other criteria did he meet? I have no idea, but based on these first 5 games, in which I heard John Murphy mention that the Bills allowed 30 or more points in 4 consecutive games for the first time in their 50-plus year history, George Edwards seems to be in way over his head. He has managed to make the number 2 defense against the pass last year look like they've never lined up in an NFL game, along with somehow managing to make one of the very worst defenses against the run into the very worst defense against the run heading into their bye week.

people don't want to hear it, but Dick played the only defense that could games close by not giving up quick scores and big yardage.

The cover-2 forced teams to not make many mistakes to go long distances for scores. That defense worked against medicre teams- of which there are many in the NFL.

Nix and Gailey made the switch in defense to ensure a tanked season. They need a QB and need the top pick in the draft to ensure it.

At some point, when they replace the entire front 7, the 3-4 may work to beat real NFL teams - but that won't be anytime soon

This is exactly what I am referring to in my above post. Everyone keeps claiming that we need to replace the entire front 7 which is untrue, and if it were the case we might as well give up now because this team won't be good for another 5 years minimum.

Can you please explain why you don't believe one player from our front 7 isn't a viable starter??....and please don't just throw out team stats from the past couple of games

Edited by DaBills51

Just curious, who do you see as the 10 better DC options?