Nix speaks

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interview took place at Dairy Queen while Chris Brown spooned ice cream into Buddy's mouth.

:bag:

NOT ONE EFFING QUESTION ABOUT THE KELSAY EXTENSION.

“If a guy is not producing we’re not going to keep doing the same thing and keep losing with the same people doing the same thing,” Nix said. “We’re not going to do that. After a point it doesn’t change. To be honest with you, nobody is safe, you’ve got to produce. If it gets to the point where we need to make other changes, it won’t matter who it is. If it will help us, we’ll do it.”

:sick:

I don't care where it happened it was the right thing to do. He also said, about Kelsay, that he's a "good player" (not a great player) and he's one of the core guys in the locker room. I still don't agree with the extension but I get what they're trying to do - they're trying to reward model citizens as part of building a long-term vision.

I can't wait till Sully's next article where he says, "The Bills never give the fans free beers throughout the game and they never chauffer them home after the game." It seems they do everything to prove Jerry wrong! Come on Sully!!! Hook us up!!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by tbonestake

Answer me one question Buddy... You're "core guy" Kelsay, is playin a position that he obviously can't play and he has done nothing to help this team win so how do you justify saying that you want your players to be like him? Give me a bad boy that produces on the field any given sunday... Besides, how do you expect new talent to come to this team and follow his lead when they've never even heard of him before? Notice how there were no big headlines other then within the Bills network when he signed his extension... Give us some playmakers with marginal character and I promise the Bills fans will forgive you...

PS. Can we get someone in the press conferences and QnA's that will ask the tough questions that all of us want the answers to?

The interview took place at Dairy Queen while Chris Brown spooned ice cream into Buddy's mouth.

:bag:

NOT ONE EFFING QUESTION ABOUT THE KELSAY EXTENSION.

“If a guy is not producing we’re not going to keep doing the same thing and keep losing with the same people doing the same thing,” Nix said. “We’re not going to do that. After a point it doesn’t change. To be honest with you, nobody is safe, you’ve got to produce. If it gets to the point where we need to make other changes, it won’t matter who it is. If it will help us, we’ll do it.”

:sick:

Not true. Per Mark Gaughan:

Nix on Chris Kelsay's contract extension: "The thing you don’t want to do is take your core guys and your leaders out of your system. We decided obviously we’ve got four, five, six guys like that. Maybe not be great players but are good players that set the tone for what you want everybody else to be. Chris Kelsay is a good payer. He exemplifies what we want players to do and how we want ‘em to be. So that’s the reason he’s here."

---Mark Gaughan

More here:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/10/nix-on-lynch-edwards-kelsay.html

BTW, I disagree with Nix on Kelsay being a good player. I think most of us do. But almost everything else I agree with him on.

Looks like someone inside One Bills Drive read the paper this morning.

:lol:

Lori, Isn't it standard practice for most normal teams (not Bills) that whenever a personnel transaction or even organizational change such as coaching change is made that the GM comments on that change to the press?

With respect to the Bills do they regularly meet with the press on certain days, as many other teams do, or do they do it on an ad hoc basis?

If you or Tim G or Jerry S or Allen W wanted some information from the organization who do you all talk to or what office do you call for information or a clarification?

In my view the Bills are a very opaque organization. They must be trying to hide the dysfunction which is very visible to most people.

Yep. IMO, this time Sullivan was right - it's the right thing to do from a business standpoint to reassure the fanbase.

Yep it was. I'm not a huge fan of Sully, but he was right. Good for BB and Nix to immediately address the issue. Others seem to have different opinions (often negative regardless of how right the move was), but it seems to me that this new group addresses problems pretty quickly and decisively. Trent proved he couldn't play despite his obvious talent so they released him. Sully rightfully points out that Nix hasn't been heard from and later that day, he speaks. Sounds good to me.

My fingers remain crossed that they can right the ship.

Not true. Per Mark Gaughan:

Nix on Chris Kelsay's contract extension: "The thing you don’t want to do is take your core guys and your leaders out of your system. We decided obviously we’ve got four, five, six guys like that. Maybe not be great players but are good players that set the tone for what you want everybody else to be. Chris Kelsay is a good payer. He exemplifies what we want players to do and how we want ‘em to be. So that’s the reason he’s here."

---Mark Gaughan

In light of this revelation the Kelsay thing makes a lot more sense, and it's in line with comments from poster DIE HARD 1967. He's a good player only in the sense that he's a hard worker and a team leader in the lockerroom. Not to mention he's not literally getting $6 million/yr but something more like $2-3.5 million/yr, which is much more palatable for what he offers.

The furor over Kelsay's extension is emblematic of the Bills fan base and their obsession with stuff that doesn't matter. You're right. Why he got extended is a mystery. But it's not like they took money from another player to sign him. What Kelsay gets paid doesn't affect anything right now except the talk shows and chat boards. It happened. Get over it. Move on.

PTR

I like it. He's gonna keep draft picks, and get rid of players that are not productive. not gonna keep losing and have the same players play lousy (goodbye Mr. Maybin?).

I think Trent went down exactly as we thought. Smart guy, knew the system, could not produce like they thought on gameday....had to see it for themselves before cutting him loose and having yet another ex-Bills player perform well elsewhere.

The more I hear Nix talk about this team the more I feel we are going in the right direction. I agree with the lodgic on Kelsay, I wonder who are the other 6 guys he is referring to? I think Donte an G wilson and maybe Bell. That being said I was glad he talked today regardless of why it was a good business decesion.

The more I hear Nix talk about this team the more I feel we are going in the right direction. I agree with the lodgic on Kelsay, I wonder who are the other 6 guys he is referring to? I think Donte an G wilson and maybe Bell. That being said I was glad he talked today regardless of why it was a good business decesion.

I agree. The man does not pull punches. Indeed, even his statement on kelsey is informative, using the term good rather than great, indicating that the man knows his football talent, but recognizes other factors when determining who to keep on the team. You may disagree with him, but you can't say he didn't explain himself, nor can you say his position is unreasonable.

The furor over Kelsay's extension is emblematic of the Bills fan base and their obsession with stuff that doesn't matter. You're right. Why he got extended is a mystery. But it's not like they took money from another player to sign him. What Kelsay gets paid doesn't affect anything right now except the talk shows and chat boards. It happened. Get over it. Move on.

PTR

While I'd debate the not matter part, as I think that Kelsay is a fundamental weakpoint on our team, since we've got lots of them I'm willing to let a good locker room influence stay. We've been a losing team for a long time and it'll be difficult to shed that stink. He can still be cut in the future should we manage get three players that are better than him (two OLB + swing OLB). Right now, I think we have no OLB that are better than him which was why he was extended. Also IMO the fact that there's no better OLB than him is a significant contributing reason as to why we're 0-4.

PTR

I completely disagree. Kelsay is less than a good player. And extending him sent the wrong message. It said "We will extend players who aren't good." What Nix wanted to say was "We're not getting rid of our core leadership." However, since the first message was already sent before any others, everything else is damage control at this point.

People like Fitzy because he's a gamer. Chris Kelsay is not a gamer. He plays out of position, gets no pressure on the QB, and can't play in space.