MLB Playoffs Set To Go

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight. If the Yankees had won, the East Coast kids get Phils game six at 4pm but won't get to see Yankees game 7 at 8pm. With the Yankees losing, kids don't get to see Phils game 6 because it's an 8pm start.

Ever wonder why football is so popular? Besides being a better game, kids get to see lots of the most important games. You can grow up being a fan.

MLB: Thinking of the future.

Why, what are the kids doing at 8:00pm? :unsure:

My mom always let me stay up late to watch the Sabres when they played late games when they were on the west coast. Even I a school night as long as I promised to get up for school. And those didn't start until 10:00pm

And football being a better game is YOUR opinion.

Why, what are the kids doing at 8:00pm? :unsure:

Not staying up until 11:30 unless their parents are bad.

And football being a better game is YOUR opinion.

Thanks Captain Obvious. And it's an opinion shared by an overwhelming majority.

Not staying up until 11:30 unless their parents are bad.

Thanks Captain Obvious. And it's an opinion shared by an overwhelming majority.

So a parent allowing their child to stay up to watch a baseball game is a bad parent. And the pussification of America continues.

And because the opinion is shared by an overwhelming majority of Americans makes it a true? Have you listened to overwhelmingly popular music or watched overwhelmingly popular TV lately?

So a parent allowing their child to stay up to watch a baseball game is a bad parent. And the pussification of America continues.

LEtting your 8 year old stay up until midnight on a school night (and most games ARE on school nights)= terrible parenting. Doing it on a weekend is not great.

And little kids don't even get to enjoy a game if they are up that late.

If you don't see that as an MLB problem and a big part of the reason kids are not into baseball, it's an indicator of your baseball blinders.

Edited by Peace

Here's another thing I love about baseball.

It couldn't be more dramatic. 2 on, 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, 3-2 count, Ryan Howard up........And, the ump rings him up! Any of the other 3 major sports, they "want the players decide the game" and use different rules at the most important part of the game during the playoffs than they do the rest of the game and the season.

LEtting your 8 year old stay up until midnight on a school night (and most games ARE on school nights)= terrible parenting. Doing it on a weekend is not great.

And little kids don't even get to enjoy a game if they are up that late.

If you don't see that as an MLB problem and a big part of the reason kids are not into baseball, it's an indicator of your baseball blinders.

Letting your child stay up until midnight on a school night to let them watch a ballgame and making sure that they got themselves up in time for school was a great way of teaching them self discipline. My parents were not terrible. There are several things I can attribute to my success as an adult. Number one is my work ethic and that comes directly from my parents. It's those little things such as. "Yes, you can stay up and watch the game. But you MUST get yourself up in time for school tomorrow." I did every time. Thanks mom and dad. :thumbsup:

Letting your child stay up until midnight on a school night to let them watch a ballgame and making sure that they got themselves up in time for school was a great way of teaching them self discipline. My parents were not terrible. There are several things I can attribute to my success as an adult. Number one is my work ethic and that comes directly from my parents. It's those little things such as. "Yes, you can stay up and watch the game. But you MUST get yourself up in time for school tomorrow." I did every time. Thanks mom and dad

Raised 5 great kids. I often "broke the rules" when it came to what could have been a "once in a lifetime" opportunity or a very special occasion. When the Bills played MNF - my youngest got to stay up. I also took him out of school when he was 9 to go to his first Bisons home opener. He still remembers that experience. My girls remember playing hookey from college and work to fly to Miami with me for the playoff game in 1993. Great memories of that one.

There are other forms of education besides what is taught in schools. Memories of doing special things with your parents are very important IMHO.

Raised 5 great kids. I often "broke the rules" when it came to what could have been a "once in a lifetime" opportunity or a very special occasion. When the Bills played MNF - my youngest got to stay up. I also took him out of school when he was 9 to go to his first Bisons home opener. He still remembers that experience. My girls remember playing hookey from college and work to fly to Miami with me for the playoff game in 1993. Great memories of that one.

There are other forms of education besides what is taught in schools. Memories of doing special things with your parents are very important IMHO.

I agree with this, and I got to stay up too....but maybe for Game 7 of the WS or Stanley Cup or the Bills on MNF. But nowadays it's 10+ games going to midnight over a span of 3 weeks if you are a fan of the Giants or Rangers. Completely ridiculous. And MLB wonders why American kids don't play baseball anymore.

My most vivid memory of the '78 Yanks-Sox playoff game was the bus driver telling us the score in the 3d inning as we were going home from school because it was a mid-afternoon start (oh no....the Yanks are behind!) But I got to see the last four innings live, which was a much better memory than all the kids who now see the first four innings of a playoff game before going to bed.

I agree with this, and I got to stay up too....but maybe for Game 7 of the WS or Stanley Cup or the Bills on MNF. But nowadays it's 10+ games going to midnight over a span of 3 weeks if you are a fan of the Giants or Rangers. Completely ridiculous. And MLB wonders why American kids don't play baseball anymore.

Right. A one-off is nothing but almost every game is an 8pm start and all the big ones are. On top of that, no little kid has any energy at 10pm with 1.5 hours to go. MLB is a mess.

That reminds me. My mom and dad let me skip school once a year to go skiing with my dad. My dad was a ski instructor so he was there every Sunday and Wednesday. I'd go pretty much every Sunday and that one Wednesday per year. My friends were so jealous of me when I'd come back to class the next day with a sunburn from skiing in the sun and wind. Once again thanks mom and day. :thumbsup:

I know it's a little late, but congratulations to the Giants. They were the better team and they deserved to move on. I think they can handle the Rangers if their pitching comes though. Bottom line was the Phils couldn't hit. Couldn't hit ****. Pretty sad way to end a season, but hopefully they can reload and pop off next year year. Strangely, such a vaunted "battle of the aces" turned out to be pretty underwhelming.

Halladay had two rough outings

Lincecum had two rough outings

Sanchez had two VERY rough outings

Oswalt pitched well

Cain pitched GREAT

Hamels pitched okay

If Lincecum can get back into CY Young form and Sanchez can snap out of it, I like their chances. They are a tough, smart team with a lot of guts and some very strange facial hair.

Side note, I'm no baseball expert or historian at all...I know very little about the history of the game. But if Lee ends up pitching 2 more games like he has and the Rangers win, where does his performance rank on the all-time postseason pitching jobs?

I know it's a little late, but congratulations to the Giants. They were the better team and they deserved to move on. I think they can handle the Rangers if their pitching comes though. Bottom line was the Phils couldn't hit. Couldn't hit ****. Pretty sad way to end a season, but hopefully they can reload and pop off next year year. Strangely, such a vaunted "battle of the aces" turned out to be pretty underwhelming.

Halladay had two rough outings

Lincecum had two rough outings

Sanchez had two VERY rough outings

Oswalt pitched well

Cain pitched GREAT

Hamels pitched okay

If Lincecum can get back into CY Young form and Sanchez can snap out of it, I like their chances. They are a tough, smart team with a lot of guts and some very strange facial hair.

Side note, I'm no baseball expert or historian at all...I know very little about the history of the game. But if Lee ends up pitching 2 more games like he has and the Rangers win, where does his performance rank on the all-time postseason pitching jobs?

I think you're missing the intangible in all this is Bruce Bochy. He's the reason the Giants are in the WS. Their pitcing against the Phillies as you mentioned was not up to par but his reworking of the lineup around some dead bats and injuries deserves lots of credit. The other intangible is Bengie Molina. When the Giants traded him to the Rangers to make room for Posey little did they know it might come back to haunt them. We was on the Angels roster in 2002 the last time the Giants were in the WS. I love this guy. One of the best defensive catchers and one of the betters callers of a game. I attribute the latter to Mike Socia, but anyway you look at it I predict Bengie to be a big part of the outcome of this series.

Oh and one of my favorit lines came from one of the Angels broadcasters after Molina hit a triple. "Bengie runs the bases like a dump truck with four flat tires." :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

I think you're missing the intangible in all this is Bruce Bochy. He's the reason the Giants are in the WS. Their pitcing against the Phillies as you mentioned was not up to par but his reworking of the lineup around some dead bats and injuries deserves lots of credit. The other intangible is Bengie Molina. When the Giants traded him to the Rangers to make room for Posey little did they know it might come back to haunt them. We was on the Angels roster in 2002 the last time the Giants were in the WS. I love this guy. One of the best defensive catchers and one of the betters callers of a game. I attribute the latter to Mike Socia, but anyway you look at it I predict Bengie to be a big part of the outcome of this series.

Oh and one of my favorit lines came from one of the Angels broadcasters after Molina hit a triple. "Bengie runs the bases like a dump truck with four flat tires." :lol:

Oh I didn't miss it.

For having never given the man a thought in my life, "!@#$ing Bochy" was muttered/shouted/sobbed DOZENS of times over the past 6 games in my house. Every move he made seemed to be the right one. I couldn't believe it when ice cold Rowand came in for game 3 and smacked that double. Bochy had the midas touch.

I think it's kind of hard to rate because before 1969, they only played the World Series, no playoffs.

But, it's hard to beat Bob Gibson in 1967. He pitched games 1, 4 and 7. Won them all and gave up a total of 14 hits and 3 runs in three complete games!

Oh I didn't miss it.

For having never given the man a thought in my life, "!@#$ing Bochy" was muttered/shouted/sobbed DOZENS of times over the past 6 games in my house. Every move he made seemed to be the right one. I couldn't believe it when ice cold Rowand came in for game 3 and smacked that double. Bochy had the midas touch.

Ha! I've never enjoyed something so much as seeing the Giants bullpen come in and sit down that lineup STONE COLD.

Well, that and Howard LOOKING at the last strike of the postseason.

Everyone says Lee is totally unhittable (which he sure looks like) but if the Giants do the unthinkable and somehow get to him tonight it would be a sweet start. It'll also be cool for us Giants fans in WNY to catch their radio PBP guy, the great Jon Miller, on local radio. Giants in 6!!!!

Everyone says Lee is totally unhittable (which he sure looks like) but if the Giants do the unthinkable and somehow get to him tonight it would be a sweet start. It'll also be cool for us Giants fans in WNY to catch their radio PBP guy, the great Jon Miller, on local radio. Giants in 6!!!!

Someone took the time to describe technically how to ensure you do not have to endure Buck & McCarver.

Hey, Roy Halladay was "unhittable" (literally) until he met the Giants. Anything is possible here. I have no rooting interest.