I Would Be Concerned If the Bills Got the First Pick In the Draft

box0life

I am very concerned that if the Bills do get the first pick in the draft next year, they will screw it up.

I have absolutely no confidence in Modrak and Nix at this point to pick the right player. Even worse I am concerned that the player they pick will hold out or not get signed altogether (see Jim Kelly). Jim went to another league before signing with the Bills losing two years. I am also concerned that the Bills will not be willing to pay the first pick in the draft and they will trade the pick.

I mean does anybody have any confidence that this front office can build this team through the draft? Their drafting has been brutal. Bills fans can do a better job then they can when it comes to drafting players.

We all new that Whitner, Maybin, Losman, and McCargo were all big time reaches which would not pan out. There were players that we fans new were better picks but our front office picked players that have failed this team.

Do you remember that we had the fourth pick in the draft several years ago and we took the wrong tackle instead of taking McKinnie. Just another example if the front office's miserable failures.

Worse yet we take players that are projects and spend three to four years grooming them. Then if they do happen to succeed, they walk via free agency because this team won't pay to keep great players but they will pay to keep players like Kelsay.

It can't be that hard. We don't have a QB. When you get the top pick in the draft and you don't have a QB, you pick one. No other position should be considered for this team. Draft O-line in second and third rounds to help out whichever QB you take. Luck, Locker and Mallet are really the only options there. One of those guys probably will be a bust, but you have to trust your evaluations and take the best QB for your team.

I made a post similar to this a few weeks ago. At this point I would do anything I could to trade out of the top 3 spots and try to land in the 8-12 range. Even if it meant only picking up a 4th rounder. It is not because rolling the gamble on the wrong player it is about paying that player. Unless a rookie cap is in place than I do not want a top 3 spot.

I am not sold on us having to draft QB in the first round, either. At this time we should draft the best on board that is not a RB. It likely would be an upgrade.

I made a post similar to this a few weeks ago. At this point I would do anything I could to trade out of the top 3 spots and try to land in the 8-12 range. Even if it meant only picking up a 4th rounder. It is not because rolling the gamble on the wrong player it is about paying that player. Unless a rookie cap is in place than I do not want a top 3 spot.

I am not sold on us having to draft QB in the first round, either. At this time we should draft the best on board that is not a RB. It likely would be an upgrade.

I agree draft the best on the board if you're not drafting number 1. If you're drafting number 1 this coming year it's gotta be QB

First more then likely there will be a rookie wage scale.

second If we are going to be this bad might as well get the first pick

Having the first pick with a rookie scale will open up all lot of possibilites . f

Edited by bkc

we needed a QB and a LT this past draft and we took a RB....so yeah it seems to be difficult for the dumbasses running this team. You think ralph will pony up the big bucks to pay a number one draft pick....NO!!! Owners garbage teams garbage.....simple guys.

I am very concerned that if the Bills do get the first pick in the draft next year, they will screw it up.

I have absolutely no confidence in Modrak and Nix at this point to pick the right player. Even worse I am concerned that the player they pick will hold out or not get signed altogether (see Jim Kelly). Jim went to another league before signing with the Bills losing two years. I am also concerned that the Bills will not be willing to pay the first pick in the draft and they will trade the pick.

I mean does anybody have any confidence that this front office can build this team through the draft? Their drafting has been brutal. Bills fans can do a better job then they can when it comes to drafting players.

We all new that Whitner, Maybin, Losman, and McCargo were all big time reaches which would not pan out. There were players that we fans new were better picks but our front office picked players that have failed this team.

Do you remember that we had the fourth pick in the draft several years ago and we took the wrong tackle instead of taking McKinnie. Just another example if the front office's miserable failures.

Worse yet we take players that are projects and spend three to four years grooming them. Then if they do happen to succeed, they walk via free agency because this team won't pay to keep great players but they will pay to keep players like Kelsay.

I'll say this much, it is a legitimate concern that the QB they might covet will try to get out of playing for Buffalo. The organization is such a mess that any agent would be crazy to not seek greener pastures for his client.

QB's drafted first from 1970-2008

I used 2008 as the year for two reasons, it was one of the first that came up as a search, and second, 2nd year QB's and rookies are too young to determine.

That being said, in the first 3 rounds here are the only QB's since 2000 that I consider beneficial to their team:

08: None

07: None

06: None

05: Rodgers, GB

04: Manning SD, Rivers NYG, Roethlisberger PIT, Schaub ATL (now with HOU)

03: Palmer CIN

02: None

01: Vick ATL, Breeze SD,

00: None

Looking at this further Manning, Rivers, Palmer, and Vick were all first overall picks. I know Rivers was 2nd overall but he might as well have been first.

Of those above only Schaub and Brees was in the 2nd round.

Now, look at every other QB. The class of 03 and 06 were supposed to be so great and it wasn't. I was not on board with the if we get #1 we have to get a QB but I am indifferent now. That says a lot because I always have an opinion.

4th or later rounds that became decent starters:

08-06: None

05: Cassel NE

04-01: None

00: Brady NE

So, again, unless we are New England, we have a better chance of finding our QB in the first round.

This organization could screw up anything.

ugh, i don't even know what to think anymore. this team has so many holes that we need 3 drafts just to make some progress. if the FO and the coaching staff are sold on one of the 3 big qbs in this year's draft, I'd say that we def need to go QB..but if there's any doubt whatsoever on the QB's, we should really just trade down and get a couple of extra picks and load up on OL/DL

I'll say this much, it is a legitimate concern that the QB they might covet will try to get out of playing for Buffalo. The organization is such a mess that any agent would be crazy to not seek greener pastures for his client.

That is a big time concern . The last few years the lure of the big pay check allowed the Lions and the Rams to get their man. I wonder if without a huge dangling carrot of 50 million will keep a top qb from coming .

Not only would they probably screw it up like always, they might never get him signed.

I'll start warming up now:

With the first pick in the 2011 draft, the Buffalo Bills select [insert name you've never heard before], Cornerback, [insert name of division II school you were only vaguely aware existed].

4th or later rounds that became decent starters:

08-06: None

05: Cassel NE

04-01: None

00: Brady NE

So, again, unless we are New England, we have a better chance of finding our QB in the first round.

Well.....

Tony Romo: 2003 UFA

Kyle Orton 2005 4th round

There will always be matt hasslebecks and Mark Warners around.... Though I do agree we should draft a QB in the 1st round because we will have better luck. But I also don't want to ignore the later QBs that have potential as well. Until we have a bonifide starter at QB, we should draft a QB in every draft I think.

Well.....

Tony Romo: 2003 UFA

Kyle Orton 2005 4th round

There will always be matt hasslebecks and Mark Warners around.... Though I do agree we should draft a QB in the 1st round because we will have better luck. But I also don't want to ignore the later QBs that have potential as well. Until we have a bonifide starter at QB, we should draft a QB in every draft I think.

Wish you were the GM, the ones we have now believe we need to get as many RBs as possible. Maybe the easiest position to fill on an offensive team.