I Would Be Concerned If the Bills Got the First Pick In the Draft

box0life

Well.....

Tony Romo: 2003 UFA

Kyle Orton 2005 4th round

There will always be matt hasslebecks and Mark Warners around.... Though I do agree we should draft a QB in the 1st round because we will have better luck. But I also don't want to ignore the later QBs that have potential as well. Until we have a bonifide starter at QB, we should draft a QB in every draft I think.

Who is Mark Warner?

Guys, Mark Ingram is going to declare! Duh! Problem solved :thumbsup:

Im enjoying watching all the shiny new toys on Saturdays....

I really like the DE out of Iowa: Clayborn. If they dont feel like they have a franchise QB, I think he is the pick

+1

Dude can flat out play. ANd I dont think a great QB is going to be available to us either. That leaves T or D front 7. Funny how we always ask for the same thing.... and all we get are DBs and RBs...

Do you remember that we had the fourth pick in the draft several years ago and we took the wrong tackle instead of taking McKinnie. Just another example if the front office's miserable failures.

You can't say this...the overall consensus was that Mike Williams was the top tackle in the draft. Hindsight makes everything easier.

I'll say this much, it is a legitimate concern that the QB they might covet will try to get out of playing for Buffalo. The organization is such a mess that any agent would be crazy to not seek greener pastures for his client.

I was thinking the same thing the other day...I swear I know it's coming...It's going to take a hell of a sales job, and I don't think Gailey and Nix are up to the task to be honest...We'll see... B-)

the overall consensus was that Mike Williams was the top tackle in the draft.

That's not necessarily true...Plenty of Scouts had McKinnie ahead of Williams...Plus it was basically consensus that Williams was likely going to have to play RT in the NFL...I know I wanted McKinnie...Not that I thought Williams would be a bust...I just thought McKinnie would be better and he's a LT... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

QB's drafted first from 1970-2008

I used 2008 as the year for two reasons, it was one of the first that came up as a search, and second, 2nd year QB's and rookies are too young to determine.

That being said, in the first 3 rounds here are the only QB's since 2000 that I consider beneficial to their team:

08: None Matt Ryan And Joe Flacco

07: None

06: None

05: Rodgers, GB

04: Manning SD, Rivers NYG, Roethlisberger PIT, Schaub ATL (now with HOU)

03: Palmer CIN

02: None

01: Vick ATL, Breeze SD,

00: None (Chad Pennington not fair to him as he was a good QB until he wrecked his arm over and over and over again)

Looking at this further Manning, Rivers, Palmer, and Vick were all first overall picks. I know Rivers was 2nd overall but he might as well have been first.

Of those above only Schaub and Brees was in the 2nd round.

Now, look at every other QB. The class of 03 and 06 were supposed to be so great and it wasn't. I was not on board with the if we get #1 we have to get a QB but I am indifferent now. That says a lot because I always have an opinion.

4th or later rounds that became decent starters:

08-06: None

05: Cassel NE, Derek Anderson Cle (he's achieved as much as Cassel imo)

04-01: None

00: Brady NE Bulger Stl

So, again, unless we are New England, we have a better chance of finding our QB in the first round.

I agree on much of this. Flacco and Ryan are not there yet, in a year I could see them being on the list. Right now I think Flacco has the defense outshaddowing him and Ryan is just playing the game. Both are on the rise but I really would not consider them consistant enough to fit in on any team in the NFL.

Anderson, at least, in my opinion, will have a long career as a backup around the league. The guy is good enough to make any roster and because of that he'll get snaps. But I do not feel he is an ideal starter.

Putting Pennington on the list is easy to do. I left him off due to his injuries. There is as much frustration with him as there is satisfaction.

Bulger was not as good of a QB as his system made him to be. If Bulger is on this list than Brodie Croyle should be, as well. He was just as successful in his enviroment as Bulger. That is why I left both off.

And not to sound off, but adding those four you mentioned offered nothing for or against my argument. None of the 4, could have a franchise built around them. None of them did. Pennington was closest.

Thoughts?

Edited by jboyst62