McGahee good enough to WIN...

Justice

I know football is a team game and there are 52 players but McGahee has the type of talent, leadership and will to win that should bring him a Super Bowl ring. As long as he stays healthy and the young stars continue to rise this team should be able to give themselves a 3 year window at competing for a championship. I think this team and coaching staff have something special going on.

One player cannot take you to the superbowl. Willis is a good back and can only get better. He will definately help.

His running doesn't really impress me much. His intellegence, quick pickup of the blitz, and quick decisions make him a good running back.

Antowain Smith was starting RB for the Pats when they won. It really doesn't matter what players you line up, it's how you use them to be successful.

149966[/snapback]

Good point. It helps to have a team that is well managed and well coached. If you have that going for you, anything is possible.

Willis has shown that he could be very successful. I hope he continues to develop to where he's a dominant player.

Kota,

Don't forget, Willis is REALLY a rookie. Few rookies make huge impacts their first year.

Plus, he has not FULLY recovered from his injury (not to mention he has been playing for weeks with a bad ankle on his previously-injured leg)

I am not sure what it will take for him to "impress you" . Perhaps you thought he should be like Barry Sanders?

Willis has shown skill at blocking, he has been o.k at receiving. he has been unexpectedly tough in crowds (pushing the pile) and - note this - players who have played against him this year have commented on "HOW DECEPTIVELY FAST HE IS".

His nagging injuries are my major concern. Hopefully, this will work itself out and he will have a long productive career.

BTW - a better comparison might be to think of Willis as the next Emmitt Smith but WITH SPEED. It will be VERY interesting to see if WIllis ends up better than Edgerrin James.

-RnJ

Good point.  It helps to have a team that is well managed and well coached.  If you have that going for you, anything is possible. 

Willis has shown that he could be very successful.  I hope he continues to develop to where he's a dominant player.

149982[/snapback]

Would you call Thurman a "dominant" player? I would, because he was very good at every phase of the position, and I will call him a great receiver.

In that sense, I think WM has the potential to dominate. If he really does have another step, his running will rival that of Corey Dillon, and he can already do everything else.

I never said he wasn't a good back. I am just saying he has yet to prove to me that he is on par with a Barry Sanders. His running still lacks something. He claims that he is 95 percent healthy and that the last 5 percent is the 70 yard run. This could be true but I have yet to see it.

Every team that has won a Super Bowl in the past was obviously a well coached, talented team but they also had that one special player that they couldn't win without. Would New England be the Super Bowl champs today without Tom Brady? I think not. I'm not just talking talent here. I'm talking about a flat out will to win type guy that doesn't hang his head down when the going gets really tough. Like Thurman did in 3 out 4 Super Bowls.

Every team that has won a Super Bowl in the past was obviously a well coached, talented team but they also had that one special player that they couldn't win without. Would New England be the Super Bowl champs today without Tom Brady? I think not. I'm not just talking talent here. I'm talking about a flat out will to win type guy that doesn't hang his head down when the going gets really tough. Like Thurman did in 3 out 4 Super Bowls.

150044[/snapback]

So your question is "do we think McGahee can positively contribute to a championship team?"

Hell Yeah, he'd be starting in NE and Pitt right now IMO.

I know football is a team game and there are 52 players but McGahee has the type of talent, leadership and will to win that should bring him a Super Bowl ring. As long as he stays healthy and the young stars continue to rise this team should be able to give themselves a 3 year window at competing for a championship. I think this team and coaching staff have something special going on.

149964[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's one specific player that can bring a Superbowl ring to a team.

I think what typically happens is that "one special player" feeds other parts of the team. In this case, McGahee's running has made the opponents have to game-plan for him. This has let the Bills open up the passing game and help Drew get back to being the QB he should be. Combine that with the semi-tricky plays that Mularkey has pulled out, the Bills offense is now something to be feared. You could also say that because of the offense's resurgence, the defense has become more inspired and isn't actually on the field as much, resulting in a more rested defense.

OK, that may be a stretch, but I think you could potentially say that the running of McGahee leads to all of that. It's not as if he's carrying the team, but his contribution is leading to other good things from this team.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's one specific player that can bring a Superbowl ring to a team.

I think what typically happens is that "one special player" feeds other parts of the team. In this case, McGahee's running has made the opponents have to game-plan for him. This has let the Bills open up the passing game and help Drew get back to being the QB he should be. Combine that with the semi-tricky plays that Mularkey has pulled out, the Bills offense is now something to be feared. You could also say that because of the offense's resurgence, the defense has become more inspired and isn't actually on the field as much, resulting in a more rested defense.

OK, that may be a stretch, but I think you could potentially say that the running of McGahee leads to all of that. It's not as if he's carrying the team, but his contribution is leading to other good things from this team.

150083[/snapback]

That's what I meant when I said "I know it's a team game". No one man can do it by himself but take Favre away from GB. Do they win that one super bowl? NO.

That's what I meant when I said "I know it's a team game". No one man can do it by himself but take Favre away from GB. Do they win that one super bowl? NO.

150095[/snapback]

You make a good point there, but I can't say that Green Bay could win a Superbowl right now - even with Favre. Make no mistake, I love the guy and would worship him if I lived in Wisconsin (they're my #2 team behind Buffalo), but I don't see the spark from that Packer team at the moment. Just too inconsistent for me.

Either way, yes - it's a team game. B)

I never said he wasn't a good back.  I am just saying he has yet to prove to me that he is on par with a Barry Sanders.  His running still lacks something.  He claims that he is 95 percent healthy and that the last 5 percent is the 70 yard run.  This could be true but I have yet to see it.

150001[/snapback]

You saw the 70yd screen pass against the Dolphins. Called back for Teague holding, which was a BS call