Potentially Habitable Exoplanet Discovered

LeviF

A team of planet hunters from the University of California (UC) Santa Cruz, and the Carnegie Institution of Washington has announced the discovery of a planet with three times the mass of Earth orbiting a nearby star at a distance that places it squarely in the middle of the star's "habitable zone."

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/gliese_581_feature.html

Also, an astronomer speculates about the possibility of life on that planet:

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today. "I have almost no doubt about it."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39427032

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today. "I have almost no doubt about it."

I can't help but laugh at the major contradiction in that quote.

In a related story, Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson is in talks with the Gliese581ians to play one "Home Game" per season there.

*PS - And the reason I hadn't already posted this was Civ 5

I hate you. :lol:

My vid card went kablooey and I don't get home for another 2 hours, then I have to install it. I MAY be able to play again tonight.

I like the game so far, enjoy abusing city-states.

That guy is no scientist. 100% chance of life? WTF?

And then he ALMOST has not doubt there's life there.

Interesting stuff though. It's crazy how this stuff seems to be popping up on almost a daily basis now.

When does the first flight to this planet take off? I'd love to go. :thumbsup:

Be careful what you wish for! Even know it is close and in Earth's "neighborhood" it is gonna take several generations to get to this planet. :P

The planet is around a low energy dwarf that will last billions of years... Of course more than our sun. Even know we can't see it without a telescope, standing on that planet... Our sun would be easily visible.

Be careful what you wish for! Even know it is close and in Earth's "neighborhood" it is gonna take several generations to get to this planet. :P

The planet is around a low energy dwarf that will last billions of years... Of course more than our sun. Even know we can't see it without a telescope, standing on that planet... Our sun would be easily visible.

It's only 20 light years. They need to create a way to get a close view of the surface of that planet. If that place is anything like earth, we're just at the right time to view their version of the Buffalo Bills as they start their superbowl run.

I just want to be the "Eve" of that planet. :devil:;)