Marshawn to Broncos? Another Entertaining Rumor...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/477221-denver-broncos-trade-of-kyle-orton-for-marshawn-lynch-immenent

I don't know how much credibility is in this article, but I would personally like this trade more than a trade for draft picks to the Packers IF the FO feels a deal must be done with Marshawn. Grooming a 1st round QB next year behind a guy like Orton makes more sense than doing so behind a journeyman like Fitz.

I also tend to lean towards not trading Marshawn at all, as he has been playing pretty well lately. What are your thoughts on this article, pretending for the purpose of stirring discussion that it is a legitimate possiblity?

Given that the guy can't write and doesn't know how to use an apostrophe, I'd say the credibility is zero.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/477221-denver-broncos-trade-of-kyle-orton-for-marshawn-lynch-immenent

I don't know how much credibility is in this article, but I would personally like this trade more than a trade for draft picks to the Packers IF the FO feels a deal must be done with Marshawn. Grooming a 1st round QB next year behind a guy like Orton makes more sense than doing so behind a journeyman like Fitz.

I also tend to lean towards not trading Marshawn at all, as he has been playing pretty well lately. What are your thoughts on this article, pretending for the purpose of stirring discussion that it is a legitimate possiblity?

I am with you on the NOT trading Marshawn. He is a solid back with youth on his side, and the 1-2 punch of Lynch in Spiller would be solid for many years. I love Fred Jackson, but to me it makes more sense to move him along due to his age.

I don't know how I would feel with Orton as our QB.

Orton BLOWS

Orton certainly has gotten off to a decent start this season, stat wise. He is, I think, one of those guys who can do pretty well in the right situation...something tells me though, the Bills don't offer one of those situations. I don't see him being a long term answer for the Bills, and I don't think the Bills are in "lets salvage this season mode". So, why make this trade?

Edited by Buftex

I don't see this happening. I wouldn't be opposed to it though. I think he is better than any qbs on the roster and would be a good mentor to a young qb like Brohm, Brown or mallet/Luck. I just don't see them making this trade right after resigning Brown. We have bigger holes to fill like finding a pass rusher. Fitz isn't the best qb but he is serviceable for now.

I'll tell you what's entertaining; watching the number of new threads that pop up hourly about Marshawn Lynch trade rumors that don't exist!

Every one of these so-called rumors - every freaking one of them - stem from one article by an upset Green Bay fan - Jason Wilde - that works as a 'reporter' for a Milwaukee radio station (540 AM ESPN Milwaukee), who happened to be a bit ticked off at the Packers front office after their Monday nite 20-17 loss to Chicago...

Link - Bears 20, Packers 17: Especially disappointing

By JASON WILDE

(excerpt)

Time for Lynch?: Maybe now the Packers will make some progress in their oft-rumored efforts to swing a deal for disgruntled Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch.

An NFL source said Monday night that the Bills, who had rebuffed not only the Packers’ advances but any team’s inquiries about the availability of the 2007 first-round draft pick, have put out word that they will at least start listening to offers for Lynch. Whether the Packers will – or will try to – trade for Lynch before the Oct. 19 trade deadline remains to be seen.

Multiple reports in recent weeks have said that the Packers inquired about Lynch’s availability, and the source confirmed Monday night that the team had indeed contacted the Bills about him, even before Lynch ran 17 times for 64 yards against the Packers last week.

"Maybe now..."?" "Oft-rumored"? "An NFL source said..."? "Multiple reports in recent weeks..."? "The source confirmed..."?

I didn't even know Lynch was "disgruntled"!

What a bunch of crap, wishful thinking, and rehashing of old speculation regarding a dead deal that he wishes would have happened to replace their injured, out-for-the-season starting RB, Ryan Grant.

Even more pathetic is the number of other 'reporters' that, having nothing to write about, immediately jumped on the fiction as fact, and even started creating their own rumors - like this Denver Kyle Orton thing. There was one stating NE* was a possibility. Many of them even cite the 540 Milwaukee piece as the 'source' for their alleged 'rumors' and quoted from it as if it were fact...

On Monday night, an NFL source told ESPN Milwaukee’s Jason Wilde that the Bills, who had rebuffed not only the Packers’ advances but any team’s inquiries about the availability of the 2007 first-round draft pick, have put out word that they will at least start considering a possible trade for Lynch. The same source confirmed that the team had indeed contacted the Bills about Lynch, even before he ran 17 times for 64 yards against the Packers in Week 2.

(link - Football News Now - Bills Likely to “Pull the Pin” on Marshawn Lynch Trade Before Deadline)

I guess there are just too many 'reporters', and not enough stories to write. :rolleyes:

Hey, all you ersatz reporters - here's a scoop: LYNCH IS NOT BEING TRADED! There. Have at it.

(And I once worked in the Bills press box, keeping stats for a preseason game and passing notes to Brian Baldinger - so you got it from an NFL source! B-))

Edited by The Senator

It is definitely too easy for "reporters" to post half-truths at their whim, and it's equally dangerous in that overlap zone where bored fans such as ourselves scour the internet and uncover the stories. Everything must be taken with a grain of salt, especially when written by someone with little to no credibility. I'm learning this lesson as I see blogs written by wannabe Adam Schefters across the country serving up piles of lies day in and day out. :thumbdown:

I'll tell you what's entertaining; watching the number of new threads that pop up hourly about Marshawn Lynch trade rumors that don't exist!

Every one of these so-called rumors - every freaking one of them - stem from one article by an upset Green Bay fan - Jason Wilde - that works as a 'reporter' for a Milwaukee radio station (540 AM ESPN Milwaukee), who happened to be a bit ticked off at the Packers front office after their Monday nite 20-17 loss to Chicago...

Nice try. Wilde, anything but a fanboi, has a degree in journalism and covered the Packers for the Wisconsin State Journal for a decade before jumping to ESPN.

Nice try. Wilde, anything but a fanboi, has a degree in journalism and covered the Packers for the Wisconsin State Journal for a decade before jumping to ESPN.

Hey, I just checked out your blog and it turns out you covered the alumni game in which I played this past summer :) I was the kicker for Portville, and I appreciate you saying the 51-yarder had plenty of distance lol! Too bad I couldn't keep it straight, and at least it didn't go wide ri... never mind, I shouldn't say that here. haha, I enjoy your writing though, have a great day.

Lori - the link in your signature to the ESPN AFC East blog didn't work for me. It could be that your link has a "my espn" URL in it... I believe the URL is: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

Ah, I see. A journalism degree from Badger U. and 10 years on the Packers beat.

In that case, he's incapable of bad journalism.

(Or are you simply insisting that, having spent his entire life in Wisconsin, he's not a Packers fan?)

Edited by The Senator

Ah, I see. A journalism degree from Badger U. and 10 years on the Packers beat.

In that case, he's incapable of bad journalism.

(Or are you simply insisting that, having spent his entire life in Wisconsin, he's not a Packers fan?)

I've spent my entire life in Pennsylvania without adopting any of its professional teams.

Yes, there are guys (and gals) out there waving the pompoms -- more on the broadcast side than in print, I think you'd find -- but I never got that vibe from Wilde (who I corresponded with when Mike Sherman interviewed here).

Hey, I just checked out your blog and it turns out you covered the alumni game in which I played this past summer :) I was the kicker for Portville, and I appreciate you saying the 51-yarder had plenty of distance lol! Too bad I couldn't keep it straight, and at least it didn't go wide ri... never mind, I shouldn't say that here. haha, I enjoy your writing though, have a great day.

...which reminds me I need to put the fall-season stuff on there at some point. Just got a note about that. Maybe that's tonight's project.

Thanks for the kind words. Fun game to watch; if there's a rematch in Portville next year (Swetland wasn't sure about that when I talked to him right after the game), I'm hoping I can cover that one too. I'm old enough to remember Saturday-afternoon games up there -- I graduated in '86, same as the three old-timers on the Port A roster -- and I wish the Border Conference still existed.

Lori - the link in your signature to the ESPN AFC East blog didn't work for me. It could be that your link has a "my espn" URL in it... I believe the URL is: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

Old link; they must have changed it since I added it. Thanks for the heads-up.