Why extend Kelsay now?

LGB

Can someone please explain why the Bills would do this right now - within a week?

Are the Bills really thinking he is going to improve to the point where they need to sign him to a deal right now - that he will be so good at the end of the year, that they will save money by extending him right now?

Is it because he looks good in the team picture or something, because after reviewing his play this year, I don't get how he makes this team or could play linebacker for another team?

yes, he is a captain, would probably make a good Boy Scout Leader, but he was an average at best, slow DE and now seems lost and even slower at OLB.

Kelsay at OLB has been such a gift for opposing teams and a such weakness to exploit, is this really going to happen?

This maybe the one final move that sends even the kool-aid drinking homers over the edge. Aren't linebackers supposed to be faster than DE's? So isn't making Kelsay a LBer giving us a pretty slow footed linebacker to rush the passer and now try to cover. It ain't going to work. This a a guy with a career high 5.5 sacks in a season, and ZERO probowls and hes 30, and the Bills braintrust is considering plunky down 24 million on a journeyman on the downside of his career? Sorry Buddy, if you make this move, then dementia is setting in.

Can someone please explain why the Bills would do this right now - within a week?

Are the Bills really thinking he is going to improve to the point where they need to sign him to a deal right now - that he will be so good at the end of the year, that they will save money by extending him right now?

Is it because he looks good in the team picture or something, because after reviewing his play this year, I don't get how he makes this team or could play linebacker for another team?

yes, he is a captain, would probably make a good Boy Scout Leader, but he was an average at best, slow DE and now seems lost and even slower at OLB.

Kelsay at OLB has been such a gift for opposing teams and a such weakness to exploit, is this really going to happen?

He has 12 solo tackles this year, cant cover, is 30 years old and has zero sacks. Are the Bills afraid teams will be lining up to sign this guy? Dont re-sign him. Clean house and use the money on a real 3-4 linebacker next year, not a 31 year old converted DE on the wrong side of his career....This is insanity... This reminds of when The Bills felt compelled to extend Jauron after 6 games in 2008. Remember how that turned out? No need to rush to sign this guy, I say we let him walk anyways. He'll be lucky to land another job.

Good points.

I have no answers, only more questions:

1. Kelsay is weakest link on weakest unit on D, agree?

2. The team is in FULL rebuild mode, per another poster, so why extend an aging out of position player?

3. Does extending him mean the front office is not going to attempt to upgrade that position? They're happy???

4. If they actually do extend him given current performance, when WOULD they upgrade position.

5. The D is ranked/tied 31st in league in points given up, so extend an old player with no upside?

6. How much can the D ever improve with guys like Kelsay being cornerstones of rebuilt D?

7. What the hell are they smoking at 1 Bills Drive?

:cry:

Good points.

2. The team is in FULL rebuild mode, per another poster, so why extend an aging out of position player?

3. Does extending him mean the front office is not going to attempt to upgrade that position? They're happy???

4. If they actually do extend him given current performance, when WOULD they upgrade position.

5. The D is ranked/tied 31st in league in points given up, so extend an old player with no upside?

6. How much can the D ever improve with guys like Kelsay being cornerstones of rebuilt D?

+1,000

Good points.

Exactly....There is no upside to re-signing him, now, and probably ever quite frankly. He's done nothing and he's not going to get better. Im telling you Wilson must still be meddling in every aspect of this team. Maybe he thinks Kelsey is a "nice boy" an dhe stayed with the Bils thru the lean years when guys like Schoebel moved on...I couldnt even tell Kelsey and Ryan Denney apart . Just two slow white guys who were drafted too high. Anyways, Wilson has ruined this organization. We once had the best personnel in the game. You would hope someone could get through to him, but it just seems like decisions like this come from someone out of touch as it makes zero sense, and points directly to a 92 year old man.

Can it really be that the Bills are going to overlook the liability Kelsay presents on the field so that they have his presence in the locker room?

I do not billieve the press release/statement that the "Bills like Kelsay’s all-around game and see him as a sturdy outside linebacker and sound in his assignments." Is this statement designed to gauge fan reaction? Sound in his assignments? What?!? He couldn't make an impact at DE, so you move him to OLB? You can't be serious.

Are the Bills really that desperate? Do they really want to lose even more season ticket holders?

In fairness to Kelsay, most LB's can't cover tight ends. Urlacher and Briggs couldn't cover Finley either on Monday and they're two of the best playing today.

But yes, his production speaks for itself, and it says he's overpaid and underperforming for sure. I can understand the Bills extending him as long as it's in line with the level of play he brings to the team, which is average at BEST. Plus he did a Celino n Barnes commercial which makes him a complete tool, so he should be docked some cash for associating the team with those low-lifes.

Kelsay is a high character guy that is respected by players and coaches, as evidenced by his multiple time captain status. Also, the Bills can't realistically replace all the linebackers at once, you have to keep some people around. Do you want them to extend Maybin instead?

Kelsay has impressed four different coaching staffs and different front office regimes. Just because you saw him get burned by Finley that one time doesn't mean that you know more about evaluating football talent that dozens and dozens of NFL coaches and executives.

Can it really be that the Bills are going to overlook the liability Kelsay presents on the field so that they have his presence in the locker room?

I do not billieve the press release/statement that the "Bills like Kelsays all-around game and see him as a sturdy outside linebacker and sound in his assignments." Is this statement designed to gauge fan reaction? Sound in his assignments? What?!? He couldn't make an impact at DE, so you move him to OLB? You can't be serious.

Are the Bills really that desperate? Do they really want to lose even more season ticket holders?

I have a theory that Wilson and Co. do have a master a plan to make the franchise and the product so undesirable that people just tune out, and it then allows him and the league to say "Hey Buffalo couldnt support a team, no one could afford tickets because the area is so depressed blah blah blah..." To an extent , the plan is working- It is hard to care about this product or have a lot of faith in the operation- we are becoming apathetic.HOWEVER- It must absolutely kill the architects of this sinister plan when people are so loyal and supportive to something that has no longer resembles the great operation and team we once had. We just keeping coming back out of blind faith and loyalty. Sure-they like the money, but maybe, to make their plan work, they would prefer/need us to just check out. It also doesnt help that the national economy blows, games arent selling out, there are blackouts everywhere looming . Hell~ the three teams in California cant sell out their games and are blacked out. Florida cant sell out in Tampa and Jacksonville. Phoenix will be totally tuned out as The Cardinals continue to go to crap-same with Carolina. These are supposed to be the new NFL hotspots, the future of the league. The NFL was born in the northeast, in the rustbelt, and The NFL better cherish Buffalo and the fans of this team. It is one fan base that they can rely upon. We've proved it for 50 years. The Bills belong to Western New York & Western New York Deserves better than this!

Edited by BuffaloWest

Kelsay is a high character guy that is respected by players and coaches, as evidenced by his multiple time captain status. Also, the Bills can't realistically replace all the linebackers at once, you have to keep some people around. Do you want them to extend Maybin instead?

Kelsay has impressed four different coaching staffs and different front office regimes. Just because you saw him get burned by Finley that one time doesn't mean that you know more about evaluating football talent that dozens and dozens of NFL coaches and executives.

You forgot: Doesn't he also have a "high motor"?

:unsure:

That's not exactly an endorsement.

If the rumors i hear on here of a 24 million extension are true, i would greatly consider drinking a 12 pack and throwing up in my sleep on my back.

Damn that is too much money for him. This and the signing of Green are the two things that would give me cause for concern. And i've given this FO the benefit of the doubt. No FO is perfect tho. They all make bonehead mistakes from time to time. This Kelsay (massive money paid out) extension better not be part of it.

A tiny low dollar extension would be tolerable. but 24 million? better only be rumor.

Edit: I am way into character guys. I'm glad Kelsay is a leader in the locker room, but performance also matters. We need men of character and of on field performance to push team effort to it's utmost limits. Kelsay doesn't meet all my criteria for this. If he gets this huge extension i will puke.

If the FO gives him this money I want to hear from them the reasoning for this.

Edited by Pilsner

to expand your question a bit....Why extend Kelsay EVER??

Like I said. Kelsay's a good player. But, at 30 years old, on a team that is not only rebuilding, but defensively switching back to the 3-4... and Kelsay moving from DE to a LB position for $6M/yr? It might be different if he were 25. Let's get real, he ain't Lance Briggs, Clay Matthews, or Brian Cushing at LB. Those are the dudes that command $6m and are big playmakers. Kelsay is not in their league at that position.

If I were the Bills GM, knowing full well that the defense, and in particular the front 7, is in rebuild, I would let Kelsay walk after the season. Again, not because he ain't a good player, simply because the Bills defense is moving in a different direction and needs young talent in that front 7 to get better.

And, assuming the Bills progressively improve, it ain't going to be for at least another 3 years they will even challenge for a playoff spot (playoff spots go to teams with a very good QB or killer defense). At that juncture, Kelsay will be 33 and I can't believe that he will ever turn in enough big plays to be valued at $6m.

Just my 2 cents.

It would be great if Kelsay actually showed some promise at OLB - BEFORE filling his pockets.

There will be plenty of time to evaluate his play, extend him or let him test the free-agent waters AFTER he proves that he is at least good at OLB. Right now, he is just plain BAD.

Really, when I first heard of an extension, I thought it was some sort of joke.

to expand your question a bit....Why extend Kelsay EVER??

+ 6,000,000 Kelsey is slow,out of position on almost every play he covers, being a mediocre DE turned LB of all things and cannot find a niche in a 34 defense. I watched him get torched time and time again by tight ends and how long do you think it will take a good OC to start throwing crossing routes and drag routes to tight ends and backs knowing they can torch this slug. I think he deserves a contract extension for sure....NOT!!!! This is why people laugh at us....God help our poor Bills :wallbash::thumbdown:

Edited by LVBillsBackr

As questionable as Kelsay is at LB, who on that roster is better? I'm not saying I agree with an extension if the rumor is true, but there's just nobody behind him. Look at the depth chart. You point out his 5 or 6 sacks and there's no one else with 2.

The question I have is: would he look any better behind a competent defensive line? Our D-line gets blown off the ball every other play. I know it chicken or the egg, but Kelsay might be more productive if he had ANY talent around him. To call him the weekest link with that motley crew around him is a joke. We just had a street free agent start at ILB!!

As questionable as Kelsay is at LB, who on that roster is better? I'm not saying I agree with an extension if the rumor is true, but there's just nobody behind him. Look at the depth chart. You point out his 5 or 6 sacks and there's no one else with 2.

The question I have is: would he look any better behind a competent defensive line? Our D-line gets blown off the ball every other play. I know it chicken or the egg, but Kelsay might be more productive if he had ANY talent around him. To call him the weekest link with that motley crew around him is a joke. We just had a street free agent start at ILB!!

You make a good point about depth. Just let his contract run out and do not re-sign him. Find out what others can do and get more LB next year but do NOT keep him beyond this year.

Great post total agreement!

The Bills signed Akin Ayodele to replace Mitchell - was he the only LB available? What about starting Chris Ellis or first round pick Aaron Maybin and see what they can bring to the position.

Good points.

The answer to all 7 of your questions is - This new Front Office and Coaching Staff hasn't done anything yet that makes any sense so why start now?

I have to agree. With the exception of a couple young defensive backs, who on the defense would anyone want? Poz could be good but can't stay healthy. The D-Line is terrible, and hasn't yet been told they are supposed to rush the passer. He isn't the worst player on the defense, and not by a long shot. I haven't missed a play watching the games this year (yes it is tough), and other then when they announce the starters, I haven't heard Stroud's name mentioned, not once. I see Torber in the picture once in awhile, but haven't heard his name mentioned either. Only time you hear Maybin's name is when he gets a penalty called on him, which is about every other play that he is on the field. I agree, that I don't know why they would be in a rush to extend him, but he is not worse than anyone else on the D-Line or linebackers at this point.

You are forgetting that he is a high motor guy.