It is more than obvious this team has No Plan!

billsfreak

Let's look at the timeline.

-A little over two weeks ago training camp and the preseason ended, the coaching staff made it sound that it was more than obvious that Trent Edwards was the best quarterback on the team. Two weeks later he is benched then a week later released. In a little over two weeks he went from being the teams best option to a QB who is a free agent with at least 6 teams arguing over the waiver claim order so they can pick him up. I know the many Edwards haters on this board will like the move, but the way it was handled is ignorant.

-A couple weeks ago, Spiller was the starter with Jackson the backup. Lynch was on the border of being traded and was a malcontent who the staff was voicing their displeasure in through the media. After one regular season game, Lynch was now the starter, Spiller was used as he should have been, and Jackson barely sees the field.

-A couple weeks ago, after a training camp where one of the biggest battles was the #2 receiver. After a long battle, Steve Johnson was the clear winner of the #2 receiver according to Chan Gailey. Now two weeks later, he is no longer the #2 and Roscoe Parrish, an undersized speedster is the #2, a role no other team would use him in.

-The starters in the defensive backfield seem to change every week.

It is obvious that the new regime, Chan and the staff are already in a panic mode and have no long term plan for this team. What were they looking at during training camp and the preseason that so many changes have to be made so soon?

I am not saying that Fitz shouldn't have replaced Edwards or that these other changes are wrong, but it just seems like there are a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off running this team. Juaron was criticized by Bills faithful for doing the exact thing that Gailey is doing, so obviously this new regime is no different that what we have seen for the past 10 plus years. Is there anything more torturous than being a lifelong Bills fan?

Edited by billsfreak

-A little over two weeks ago training camp and the preseason ended, the coaching staff made it sound that it was more than obvious that Trent Edwards was the best quarterback on the team. Two weeks later he is benched then a week later released. In a little over two weeks he went from being the teams best option to a QB who is a free agent with at least 6 teams arguing over the waiver claim order so they can pick him up. I know the many Edwards haters on this board will like the move, but the way it was handled is ignorant.

-A couple weeks ago, Spiller was the starter with Jackson the backup. Lynch was on the border of being traded and was a malcontent who the staff was voicing their displeasure in through the media. After one regular season game, Lynch was now the starter, Spiller was used as he should have been, and Jackson barely sees the field.

-A couple weeks ago, after a training camp where one of the biggest battles was the #2 receiver. After a long battle, Steve Johnson was the clear winner of the #2 receiver according to Chan Gailey. Now two weeks later, he is no longer the #2 and Roscoe Parrish, an undersized speedster is the #2, a role no other team would use him in.

It is obvious that the new regime, Chan and the staff are already in a panic mode and have no long term plan for this team. What were they looking at during training camp and the preseason that so many changes have to be made so soon?

I am not saying that Fitz shouldn't have replaced Edwards or that these other changes are wrong, but it just seems like there are a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off running this team. Juaron was criticized by Bills faithful for doing the exact thing that Gailey is doing, so obviously this new regime is no different that what we have seen for the past 10 plus years. Is there anything more torturous than being a lifelong Bills fan?

My biggest beef with Nix is his supposed keen eye for college talent. Outside of Spiller, who did the Bills draft this year that looks to be a quality starter? Troup looks like a rotational DT and Carrington isn't even being dressed on gameday. Looks like another waisted "rebuilding" year even though no such rebuilding is occuring.

If this is a rebuilding year with a new staff, then the personnel changes seem to make sense to me. Only way to evaluate the talent is to see it in live game action (see Edwards), as we've seen with Maybin lately. This is his audition to keep a job next year. That being said I don't think that everything we've seen so far is all just some master plan...they aren't that good.

Yeah, that's it. One off season and 3 games into their first year, and the coaches are in "panic mode". OK Sully.

You forgot to include your usual worthless rant "Wilson is cheap".

Yes, reading some of your posts.

Jauron was criticized because he was doing the same exact thing in his fourth year, not his first. If Gailey is doing the same thing in his 3rd-4th year, then yes, he should also be criticized heavily.

You are missing that this is basically a transition year. There are no delusions of this team making the playoffs this year, it is one big, 16 week tryout.

Everyone talks about how we had 3 years of film on Trent, if film told the whole story, Ryan Leaf would have been a 10 time MVP. You have to see what you can work with, which is what we did. Trent showed what he could do in Preseason/Training Camp, then showed what he always does in regular season, so we got rid of him. It is an evaluation year, I don't know why people can't seem to grasp this.

Chan is evaluating what he has, right now, with his own eyes. Which happens to be the only way to do it correctly.

As far as the draft, Troupe is playing, and his role will increase as the season goes on. Easley got injured, but he was going to get his PT this year. Wang will get PT this year, and we will have four of our 9 draft picks contributing, and probably 5 if you add in Carrington.

Rebuilding is a process, it takes time, everyone just needs to step off of the ledge.

Yeah, that's it. One off season and 3 games into their first year, and the coaches are in "panic mode". OK Sully.

Jauron was criticized because he was doing the same exact thing in his fourth year, not his first. If Gailey is doing the same thing in his 3rd-4th year, then yes, he should also be criticized heavily.

^^^+++ THIS.

Some of you simply whine for the sake of whining. If Nix or Gailey don't make these changes, you whine about why he isn't making them. When they do, you whine about why it took them so long. Get the sand out of your bajingo, understand that this is a complete rebuild and this season is an open audition for all the players, and stop comparing the current regime to the regimes of the past 9+ years. Can we give them more than ONE offseason and 3 games before we start complaining?

:thumbsup: Thanks for saving me the time.

and billsfreak, like another poster stated, you need to step away from the ledge. It's just not as bad as you always make it seem.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe their plan just isn't obvious to you?

It seems pretty clear to me that A. They do have a plan, and B. The overall focus of the plan is geared for 2-3 years down the road.

Gaily looks to me like a guy who's experimenting with and testing his parts to see what he has in the garage before he goes to the store. There's no rush on Carrington and Troup to start right now. It's a long season and they'll get their reps before it's over with.

Losing Batten and Easley to IR and injuring Wang in preseason was a bonehead move by Nix though. What a dunce.

Edited by Rob's House

My biggest beef with Nix is his supposed keen eye for college talent. Outside of Spiller, who did the Bills draft this year that looks to be a quality starter? Troup looks like a rotational DT and Carrington isn't even being dressed on gameday. Looks like another waisted "rebuilding" year even though no such rebuilding is occuring.

Not only that, what gets me is everyone defending him after he brings in Green to upgrade the O line. This is the man who going to be calling the shots for next years drafting of a franchise QB...Ryan Leaf here we come :blink:

What do you MEAN that this team has no plan. The plan is to dyck around for the first year, run off the better players, then to develop a plan in the second year. We will implement the plan in the third year and execute the plan in the fourth year, after which will begin the cycle again with a new coach and gm.

You can look at it this way also

- The team wanted to see who can do what and who was the weakest link. Trent showed that by not being able to perform under pressure.

- The team wants Jackson and Spiller to stay healthy, but when Lynch is coming up as a good trade, then why not show case him to make him more of a trade value. Very smart with management.

- Buffalo may have their QB in Brohm, but don't want him to get overwhelmed because the o-line needs to be fixed, and will over time. Look for Wood to become the center and the new pickup to be our guard in the future.

- Chan wants to see if he has reliable depth at all positions. Next draft, we just may see a lb or lineman being picked. (offense or defense)

- This would show that they have a plan, they just don't want to show what their plans are until they do it. I see a very strong team on the horizon.....

CHAN the MAN will GET R DONE

Of course this team has a plan. Obviously they have a plan - on offense, it's to score more points than our opponent; on defense, it's to stop our opponent from scoring. Personnel-wise, it's to play our best talent, develop promising young players, and improve via the draft.

It's gonna take longer than 3 games. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

seems to me like gailey was handed a steaming pile of sh*t and told to make a team out of it. i don't care if your name is cowher, shanahan, or parcells, you're not gonna do that overnight.

it's fairly obvious that he's using this season to evaulate what he's got, who can stay, and what needs to be moved/replaced. unfortunately, in some cases, game film, preseason, and training camp aren't always accurate indicators of real gametime performance. sometimes a player will fail under one coach, but thrive under a different coach. sometimes they don't... that's what he's learn about edwards, so now he's gone. i give gailey credit for not dancing around the subject and taking swift decisive action for a change. this season is not going to be an end to the fail, but perhaps it's finally laying the groundwork. if we wins a few games along the way, great, but gailey's operating in a hole here that was dug by previous administrations.

i'm not about to put the guy in the HoF or anything, but i'm not ready to crucify him after 3 games either.

seems to me like gailey was handed a steaming pile of sh*t and told to make a team out of it. i don't care if your name is cowher, shanahan, or parcells, you're not gonna do that overnight.

it's fairly obvious that he's using this season to evaulate what he's got, who can stay, and what needs to be moved/replaced. unfortunately, in some cases, game film, preseason, and training camp aren't always accurate indicators of real gametime performance. sometimes a player will fail under one coach, but thrive under a different coach. sometimes they don't... that's what he's learn about edwards, so now he's gone. i give gailey credit for not dancing around the subject and taking swift decisive action for a change. this season is not going to be an end to the fail, but perhaps it's finally laying the groundwork. if we wins a few games along the way, great, but gailey's operating in a hole here that was dug by previous administrations.

i'm not about to put the guy in the HoF or anything, but i'm not ready to crucify him after 3 games either.

+1

I believe you should not step back from the ledge. Step off it. This will allow the positive fans to discuss things in an objective manner. We sit here with way to much time on our hands discussing coaching, which most of us have never done, and throwing every body under the bus. Trent wasn't meant for us. Buddy did it right. Mr Lynch has not inspired our fans but sure seemed positive Sunday. He might be a keeper. Allow our new staff to adjust to the players now playing at real time. A tough start against tough teams. We will be better off in the long run. You can take that to the bank. I'm just not telling which one yet.

What do you MEAN that this team has no plan. The plan is to dyck around for the first year, run off the better players, then to develop a plan in the second year. We will implement the plan in the third year and execute the plan in the fourth year, after which will begin the cycle again with a new coach and gm.

Not to mention the few good players we have will be near the end of their contracts and will be headed out like Pat Williams, Winfield, etc. It is a never ending ugly cycle with this team and has been for a decade plus.

I believe you should not step back from the ledge. Step off it. This will allow the positive fans to discuss things in an objective manner. We sit here with way to much time on our hands discussing coaching, which most of us have never done, and throwing every body under the bus. Trent wasn't meant for us. Buddy did it right. Mr Lynch has not inspired our fans but sure seemed positive Sunday. He might be a keeper. Allow our new staff to adjust to the players now playing at real time. A tough start against tough teams. We will be better off in the long run. You can take that to the bank. I'm just not telling which one yet.

I believe you should hop on your white horse, sprinkle pixie dust and keep believing that every 3 or 4 years when Ralph hires the cheapest head coach and front office personnel available he finally got it right and we will be winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl in a year or two. Is it just a coincidence that every quarterback we have had since they cut Flutie loose has been a failure here? I don't think so. Is it any coincidence that every coach since Ralph ran Wade Phillips out of town has been a huge failure? I don't think so there either. In your little fairy tale football league that the Bills play in everything might be fine in a couple weeks, but get a look at the real world and face the facts.

the first step in the Rebuilding Process is tearing everything down.

Nix/Gailey were handed a big pile of crap. They are using this entire season to see which turds float and which turds sink. We're not trying to make the playoffs, or even go 8-8. They're trying to see who can make the transition into the new systems and who cant. Who can play on Sundays, and who cant. THAT IS ALL.

If you are expecting anything more from this year, you are going to be miserable as your expectations are completely out of whack.