QB Accuracy

I keep hearing "you can't teach a quarterback accuracy. He's either accurate, or he's not".

OK....whyiszzat? Help me understand.

Practice improves most other skills in life.

Why could it not improve QB accuracy if a guy gets more time to throw to the 1st string and maybe more focus on improving him from the coaching staff?

Hopeful.....

i need to invent some accuracy machine that allows a qb to throw at it all day and grades them day to day.

once i do, we will finally have our franchise qb

if only fitz could improve his accuracy, he'd be a good qb.

so smart, often makes the right decision, good toughness and heart on the guy and the players rally around him to boot.

I think there's a level of anxiety about getting hit and you just float them

one thing i noticed about fitz' first pick is he was looking off a corner and once he turned to throw to roscoe, it was almost TOO quick, like he hardly looked and just threw it in the direction of roscoe which is why it floated on him. when he is looking at his receiver, he is usually pretty accurate. but in the nfl, you need to look off receivers and make that quick throw, which he seems to struggle with.

i need to invent some accuracy machine that allows a qb to throw at it all day and grades them day to day.

once i do, we will finally have our franchise qb

if only fitz could improve his accuracy, he'd be a good qb.

so smart, often makes the right decision, good toughness and heart on the guy and the players rally around him to boot.

That's exactly why I asked. I agree, he's got the head and the heart. Edwards has the arm.

I think Gailey hoped he could coach Fitz's heart and head into Edwards and just gave it up.

Can Gailey coach Edwards arm onto Fitz more easily?

I don't think your accuracy machine would help unless it was highly evolved.

Part of the accuracy is can you throw to a guy who is actually running a route, right?

Especially under game-like conditions where you can't look at him as he runs the route or you'll tip the DBs, gotta throw off the back foot without time to plant etc etc.

Still....people have done all sorts of goofy training tricks that were claimed effective.

It just seems it should be possible to figure out some scenario to work on improving this in training --

close the eyes to a count of 3, open and have to throw to diff receiver running different patterns within 1 count or something?

Both picks, to me...were sort of emotional/adrenaline motivated picks...

probably right. earlier in the game, despite playing from behind, he was totally calm and effective.

i gave him a pass for the first one due to his good play but the 2nd one really disappointed me. we had time to drive. we didnt HAVE to throw in that spot. could have run a screen or something easy to calm fitz down.

Did anyone watch the Sunday Night game? There were times Henne couldn't hit the barn side of a broad. He overthrew a lot of guys and there was one pass at the end of the game, I forget to who, that all he had to do was throw it to him about 10 yards away. The guy was just standing there and the DB had passed him and not turned around yet. IIRC, this occurred in the endzone.

This is probably not the exact correct thread for this post but I'm sick of this Henne is going to be good BS. You put TE, RF or BB behind their O-line and they'd outplay Henne by a mile. JMO

You can coach accuracy, to an extent, just like anything else. They work on drills to improve their footwork and delivery and other mechanics all the time, to help get more consistently accurate throws. You can also coach basketball shooters with better shooting techniques. But at a certain point, good shooters are just good shooters, and accurate quarterbacks are just accurate.

Mechanics and footwork can be improved but accuracy really comes down to having an innate feel for throwing the football and being able to rely on one's instincts. Once a QB begins "aiming" his throws is when it all starts to fall apart; he'll start gripping the ball too tightly and throwing the ball at the receiver's feet. I guess the best proof that accuracy cannot be taught is that so many guys with other quarterbacking skills have failed to learn how to be more accurate and subsequently fall out of the league. Sam Wyche worked JP pretty thoroughly to try and improve his accuracy but it never took.

Even the greats throw picks. Tom Brady threw a couple of key picks in the playoffs last year. I've seen Brett Favre and Peyton Manning throw 5+ picks in games. Brees threw 2 today as well.

Fitz came in for his first start of the year (Edwards has gotten the Lion's share of first team reps) and with the exception of two regrettable passes looked great on a team that has hardly been able to muster a few first downs. Maybe he'll never be one of the elite QBs, but this guy's a born winner and I like him.

You can coach accuracy, to an extent, just like anything else. They work on drills to improve their footwork and delivery and other mechanics all the time, to help get more consistently accurate throws. You can also coach basketball shooters with better shooting techniques. But at a certain point, good shooters are just good shooters, and accurate quarterbacks are just accurate.

Shaq and free throws is the best example I can think of.

Yeah, Fitz threw the two picks mainly because we were down and had to pass and made a couple of bad throws. But come on, he completion percentage today was 71%! That sounds pretty accurate to me and most of his passes were right on. No ones perfect. A little help from the defense could have gone a long way.

It was a good game and fun to watch. After watching today I know there is hope for our offense. For our defense I'm not so sure. :angry:

Shaq and free throws is the best example I can think of.

I dunno about Shaq; next door in Indiana, with regard to 3 pointers and stuff, Bird is legendary for having practiced, practiced, practiced all the time.

It's been my experience that when someone says "oh, he's just good", under the hood is an exceptional, fierce work ethic -- and a lot of practice.

I think there's a level of anxiety about getting hit and you just float them

No, its more about the pressure of the situation, he throws an INT into the end zone... he throws an INT with 5 min to go and the game on the line.

Most QB's get over excited when they first enter a game and tend to have balls sail on them because they are a tad over hyper, this guy tends to feel the pressure of the game and his passes get away from him.

That big brain is giving him paralysis by analysis, he needs to stop thinking about it and just do it.