Scott Pioli

birdog1960

the chiefs are 3-0 in pioli's second season as gm. i know that 3 games doesn't make a career but he's looking pretty good right now. he came into a similar situation in kc to what the bills have now. he could have been the bills gm in place of our marketing guru in 09. he demanded total control which many thought clark hunt would never give. wilson never would have. still, wouldn't a 45 year old, widely respected up and comer available in 09 been preferable to our marketing guy or even our current gm? i'll bet we wouldn't have picked maybin where we did last year with him at the helm. then again, wilson probably doesn't know him.

I wouldn't be touting the Chiefs and their upper management just yet. Wait till much later or after the season. It wouldn't surprise me in the least, them starting 3-0 and not making the playoffs.

if they go 8-8 form their worst season (2-14) in 08, i'd say he's done pretty well. if they make the playoffs he'll likely be named nfl executive of the year.

I wouldn't be touting the Chiefs and their upper management just yet. Wait till much later or after the season. It wouldn't surprise me in the least, them starting 3-0 and not making the playoffs.

to paraphrase Jim Mora...you're talking playoffs? I just hope we can win a game...

if they go 8-8 form their worst season (2-14) in 08, i'd say he's done pretty well. if they make the playoffs he'll likely be named nfl executive of the year.

Going 8-8 is not worthy of any recognition no matter the state of an organization.

Now going 1-15 in one year and then turning it around and going 10-6/11-5 in the next, winning the division and making the playoffs, then kudos!

Best thing about the chiefs is that Pioli is the man in the front office. Their COO, Denny Thum, stepped down about 2 weeks ago and he was the money guy in the front office. Chiefs owner Clark Hunt received the team from his father, and has entrusted the football operations to one man.

Contrast this with Buffalo where no one is sure who runs the team, even if there is a bonafide GM. There was also no doubt in KC when Lamar Hunt passed away that the team would remain. We don't have that luxury.

Best thing about the chiefs is that Pioli is the man in the front office. Their COO, Denny Thum, stepped down about 2 weeks ago and he was the money guy in the front office. Chiefs owner Clark Hunt received the team from his father, and has entrusted the football operations to one man.

Contrast this with Buffalo where no one is sure who runs the team, even if there is a bonafide GM. There was also no doubt in KC when Lamar Hunt passed away that the team would remain. We don't have that luxury.

it's a relevant comparison. i'd be dancin in the street if littman resigned.

Edited by birdog1960

I know it's hard to believe for some of us Bills fans, but going from 2-14 to 8-8 in a couple years is not terribly difficult; particularly in a bad division.

the chiefs are 3-0 in pioli's second season as gm. i know that 3 games doesn't make a career but he's looking pretty good right now. he came into a similar situation in kc to what the bills have now. he could have been the bills gm in place of our marketing guru in 09. he demanded total control which many thought clark hunt would never give. wilson never would have. still, wouldn't a 45 year old, widely respected up and comer available in 09 been preferable to our marketing guy or even our current gm? i'll bet we wouldn't have picked maybin where we did last year with him at the helm. then again, wilson probably doesn't know him.

Did we really make Pioli an offer?

I know it's hard to believe for some of us Bills fans, but going from 2-14 to 8-8 in a couple years is not terribly difficult; particularly in a bad division.

we haven't tied or beaten 8-8 since 04

Did we really make Pioli an offer?

not that i'm aware of but he was on the market

Remember when the Bills went 5-1 that one time?

Let's not rush to snap judgments. The Chiefs won a division game at home in primetime for their opener against a notoriously slow starting team (remember when we soundly beat San Diego?). Then they barely beat Cleveland. Today they beat a rather Jekyll-and-Hyde 49ers team.

Congrats to them for doing so well thus far. Aside from their head coach, I think their coaching staff is pretty solid. And they really are showing a lot of improvement. But 3 games does not a season make. Check back at week 12 and then see how far they've come along.

The Chiefs are not a powerhouse, but they do have some good young players on both sides of the ball that look to have promising potential. Couple that with an up and coming head coach and a quarterback who is at least halfway decent, and it all adds up to hope for the future.

I'm a little jealous of the Chiefs.