With The 1st Pick of The 2011 Draft Buffalo Takes ????

T master

Kellen Moore QB Boise State. The kid works the 2 minute drill and the red zone better than any QB I have seen in the NCAA this year. I am not sure he is worth the #1 overall. If we can trade back into the 1st or grab him at #33, and go OT,DT, or LB with #1 that would be excellent.

Just my 2 cents. Too early to talk realistically about the draft. This will only make the off season even longer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT with first and second picks. Why get a rookie QB killed behind this horror show of a line. As much as I hate the jets, they spent 2 1st round picks on the OL in 2006 and have been on the rise ever since! SF did it this year and we'll see what happens. If we don't address this problem with top level talent, any QB is going to struggle!

I agree build the OL solid and the next QB.

You would just ignore the fact that we lack 3-4 personnel and draft offensive players only? Nah, we need a GM with an actual legit plan, hopefully Buddy is working it out.

:wallbash: You have to start with the line..! And offensive line is where we need most help, I said I would sign two free agents to improve defense.. One line backer and one end..The year after I would go defense because it would take a year for the offense to start gelling..By year three we be in playofs..!

If you all vote me in for the G.M. position then here is what I would give to you.

1- I would get a trade done for Jackson by week 5.

2- I would cut Edwards, he needs to just be gone.

3- I would sign two decent free agents to help the defense and one WR.

4- In the draft I would do the following, assuming we have a top 3 pick.

With the first pick I take QB

Then I trade my two 3rd round picks to get back into 1st round and get stud LT

2nd round I go RT

4th round I go Center

5th round I go another QB

6th and 7th round I go depth, or best available player.

We have to get the QB and Offensive Line fixed. Please vote me into G.M. I know what I am doing..! 0:)

Good enthusiasm, but we still will have Chris Kelsey covering the TE and RBs out of the flat. Or at best, if you sign a guy to do that, we have some stopgap guy there. As far as I'm concerned this team goes nowhere unless they can get a OLB who has some athleticism and bulk. He doesn't have to be able to shut down Gates or Finley either - just keep them in check on a few plays a game so the other team can't go to them at will.

I don't think you can trade back into the 1st round with 2 3rd rounders, but that's not the point I'm going to make. I don't think we're as bad at LT as we are at RT and I'd definitely, at this point, go OLB before LT or RT unless the value was way off.

Good enthusiasm, but we still will have Chris Kelsey covering the TE and RBs out of the flat. Or at best, if you sign a guy to do that, we have some stopgap guy there. As far as I'm concerned this team goes nowhere unless they can get a OLB who has some athleticism and bulk. He doesn't have to be able to shut down Gates or Finley either - just keep them in check on a few plays a game so the other team can't go to them at will.

I don't think you can trade back into the 1st round with 2 3rd rounders, but that's not the point I'm going to make. I don't think we're as bad at LT as we are at RT and I'd definitely, at this point, go OLB before LT or RT unless the value was way off.

:cry: Ok, I see I am not getting any votes this year.. I'm going home :bag:

I say they go with the best RB on their board

I second that..lol..Why not? According to Bills logic (there's a contrast in terms)..they needed either a OLT or QB last year, so they selected a RB because now they have 3 RB's good enough to play, but none good enough to be selected as the starter?? So realizing last year's logic...They still need a OLT or QB, So that means they should select a RB or CB because they are positions of strength and want to continue to take the best player on the board! Huh? Exactly! And that's the point!!! Bills Logic! Sure wish Bill Polian was our GM again..could you imagine? We would have had B. Orakapo DE, Probably Donoavan McNabb at QB with Jimmy Claussen as he's understudy. Likely would have addressed the Offensive line by now...specifically OLT ! and instead we are less talented than Jacksonville or Carolina were when they were expansion clubs!! Nothing like starting from scratch as an organization and being a laughing stock of the leaugue when you allow people in mangagement like T. Modrak to somehow still hold a position after a decade plus of continious blunders/failures!

Just goes to show you about Bills logic!!

Yeah, we don't want another Stanford QB. Everyone knows that every single QB to ever come out of Stanford sucks. I mean look at John Elway.....

This is true but John Elway played for the Broncos not the Bills.. He was great there, yet we will forever remember Trent Edwards from there..

Here is an interesting question.

If the Bills do get a very high draft pick (top 3) and then we dont have football next season due to a lockout, how does that affect the draft order for the 2012 season?

Would we get the same high draft pick?? Does the CBA dictate whether we have rights to the player we drafted in 2011?

Here is an interesting question.

If the Bills do get a very high draft pick (top 3) and then we dont have football next season due to a lockout, how does that affect the draft order for the 2012 season?

Would we get the same high draft pick?? Does the CBA dictate whether we have rights to the player we drafted in 2011?

As it stands now, there will be no CBA in effect in April '11.

This is an interesting question. I have gotten our first round pick correct for a few years. Yes, this includes Maybin because I knew we would be bone headed enough to pass on Orakpo. If the front office is anything like the old front office they will look at the fan and NFL analyst consensus top position of need and immediately scratch that position off our list of high pick needs. We will then look at a position of decent depth and look at the available candidates. After doing that we will determine the fan and NFL analyst top ranked player at that position and immediately scratch that player off of our list. We will then draft a project prospect that isn't expected to start his rookie year.

I most also add....WHEN IN DOUBT DRAFT A DEFENSIVE BACK!!! Since 1990 the Bills have had 18 first round draft picks. Of those picks EIGHT players ...yes I said EIGHT players...were in the defensive secondary. "WHY?" you say. Because Ralph refuses to pay players that develop into great talent. That's right we have used 44% of our 1st round draft picks in the last 18 years restocking a position that represents 18% of our starters on both sides of the ball not including special teams. That is absurd!

What is even more damning is that we have pretty much hit on every one of those DBs and they have become at the least above average to pro bowl caliber players. MAYBE, just MAYBE, if we paid the guys we already had we wouldn't need to keep wasting 44% of our first round resources restocking the same damn position.

Edited by PDaDdy

This is an interesting question. I have gotten our first round pick correct for a few years. Yes, this includes Maybin because I knew we would be bone headed enough to pass on Orakpo. If the front office is anything like the old front office they will look at the fan and NFL analyst consensus top position of need and immediately scratch that position off our list of high pick needs. We will then look at a position of decent depth and look at the available candidates. After doing that we will determine the fan and NFL analyst top ranked player at that position and immediately scratch that player off of our list. We will then draft a project prospect that isn't expected to start his rookie year.

I most also add....WHEN IN DOUBT DRAFT A DEFENSIVE BACK!!! Since 1990 the Bills have had 18 first round draft picks. Of those picks EIGHT players ...yes I said EIGHT players...were in the defensive secondary. "WHY?" you say. Because Ralph refuses to pay players that develop into great talent. That's right we have used 44% of our 1st round draft picks in the last 18 years restocking a position that represents 18% of our starters on both sides of the ball not including special teams. That is absurd!

What is even more damning is that we have pretty much hit on every one of those DBs and they have become at the least above average to pro bowl caliber players. MAYBE, just MAYBE, if we paid the guys we already had we wouldn't need to keep wasting 44% of our first round resources restocking the same damn position.

Good post! :thumbsup:

Just to add to what you've written: since 1997, the Bills have used four first round picks on running backs, and 12 first round picks on other positions. (Including the pick traded away for Bledsoe.) That's 25% of their first round picks right there, on a position that only represents 1/22nd--or 4.5%--of the guys you have on the field. Clearly, the Bills have used too many picks on running backs and defensive backs over the years, while neglecting other positions.

The Bills are in dire need of a "franchise" QB. They haven't had one since Kelly. There are none available in free agency or through a trade. I don't see any scenario in which they can't take a shot with Mallett, Ponder or Luck (if he leaves school) with their 1st pick. It's almost a no-brainer. I'd even go so far as to say draft two QB's next year. It's a very, very deep QB Class. Maybe the deepest of all time. What kills me is that if they are serious about rebuilding, why aren't they stockpiling draft picks for 2011? There are a few guys that could be moved for mid-round picks. They should sit down and come up with a draft plan now and nothing they have done in the draft over the last decade tells me they have one. I think Modrak buys a Sporting News Draft Magazine at the end of March and works off of that. Entire scouting budget is $7. Anyway, I'd be building a draft board now and in order go- QB, LT, WR, LB, OL, QB, DE. Then get some extra picks and start building depth. All that said, they will probably draft a RB or a safety in the first round. Just saying.

Good post! :thumbsup:

Just to add to what you've written: since 1997, the Bills have used four first round picks on running backs, and 12 first round picks on other positions. (Including the pick traded away for Bledsoe.) That's 25% of their first round picks right there, on a position that only represents 1/22nd--or 4.5%--of the guys you have on the field. Clearly, the Bills have used too many picks on running backs and defensive backs over the years, while neglecting other positions.

Ya man. It's crazy when you think about it all in those terms. No wonder our lines, LB core and QB situation are hurting. Just imagine if we used anywhere near 44% of our first round picks on a QB in just the last 8 - 10 years? We would have hit on at least one of them. What a colossal waste.