[please fix subject]Ya...I Said It

PDaDdy

I'll address your bolded statement. Losman was drafted in 2004. He spent his rookie year on the bench--a chance to absorb the offensive terminology and study film. He also had the chance to practice both before his injury, and after he'd healed.

Year 2 of Losman's career was 2005. He had eight career starts that year. Losman looked a lot less polished as a second-year player than Edwards would later look as a rookie.

Year 3 of Losman's career was 2006. Statistically it was by far his best season. But it was noted that the offense had been radically simplified to accommodate his mental limitations. His successes came more from long bombs to Lee Evans rather than using short, accurate passes to sustain drives over the course of many plays. That style of offense was fine while it lasted, but eventually defenses adapted.

Year 4 of Losman's career was 2007. By then defenses had learned to take away his deep game and force him to beat you with underneath stuff. As a result of defenses' adaptations, Losman looked worse in 2007 than he had in 2006. He was unable to ward off the challenge of the rookie Edwards.

Year 5 of Losman's career was 2008. By this time Losman was going for that "homeless" look, and had been demoted to third string status.

Losman was given four years in which to prove himself: a rookie year to sit and learn on the bench, and three years of playing time. (Though there were long stretches during two of those three years when he'd been benched due to poor play.)

Year 1 of Edwards' career was 2007. He received significant playing time after Losman was benched.

Year 2 of Edwards' career was 2008. He started for 14 games that year.

Year 3 of Edwards' career was 2009. He had only seven starts that year due to injuries and being benched in favor of Fitzpatrick. Defenses had learned that you're supposed to take away Edwards' underneath game and force him to beat you deep.

Year 4 of Edwards' career is this year. He's had only two starts before his benching. This seems to be the year the Bills give up on him.

Losman had 31 career starts during his time in Buffalo, as compared to 32 career starts for Edwards. The Bills gave up on Losman well into year 4 of his career; whereas they are seemingly giving up on Edwards only two games into year 4 of his career. Both quarterbacks have had about the same number of years, and about the same number of career starts, in which to prove themselves. Neither did. At this point, our thoughts about the Bills' quarterbacking future should revolve around the 2011 draft.

So basically you're saying Losman had 1 year, 2006, to start and finish the season as the starter while Edwards has had 3?

*I'm putting an asterisk on the 2007 season as we all know Edwards was drafted in the 2007 season to replace Losman because Jauron didn't like Losman's gunslinger style. We all seem to forget or never knew that Edwards was statistically inferior to JP in 2007 but still got and kept the job. JP had his replacement looking over his shoulder while Trent had free agent fodder that wouldn't make any other NFL roster much less challenge him for the starters job. It's only by Trent's own incredible ineptitude and frequent injuries that he lost his job to guys that couldn't play anywhere else.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We kept the wrong guy!

We should have never let JP Losman go. Paraphrasing Dennis Green, "Edwards is who we thought he was." He is a weak armed checkdown bum. JP was not a savior either but the guy would chuck the ball down the field which at least challenged the defense beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. At least it opened up the run game unlike Trent.

Imagine if our previous front office committed to JP for 4 years like they did with Trent? This front office gave Trent every opportunity and never ONCE brought in any free agent QB that had even the most remote chance of challenging him for the starting job. FOUR YEARS!!! It is even more amazing that in spite of the straw man competitors to his job that were brought in HE STILL MANAGED TO LOSE IT TWICE!!!

I would have rather dealt with some of JP's bone headed moves and gaffs while letting it rip and trying to win a game than watching the slow, painful, ball-less death that was Trent Edwards. What could have been if JP was given the endorsement of Bill Walsh and the blind faith and support of the front office. Might have turned that kid around.

JP was only good at hitting the long ball. Short passes he never made.

Yeah, maybe I could add more to the forum by openly yearning for the days of J.P. Losman! LOL :thumbsup:

It would be better than what you usually yearn for Eh TREBEK??? LOL.

Perhaps if you actually had anything of value to say other than refuting what others say you might be relevant. Give it up dude. In a way I am flattered that you live to belch bile in the threads that I start but it doesn't really give anyone ideas to consider or provide insight or enlightenment on anything other than your own bitterness.

i'm just happy for the simple reason that this indeed proves that trent edwards was in no way, shape, or form better than jp losman and validates my thinking that he never won any quarterback competitions he was involved in.

i'm just happy for the simple reason that this indeed proves that trent edwards was in no way, shape, or form better than jp losman and validates my thinking that he never won any quarterback competitions he was involved in.

SO true. He was anointed by Bill Walsh and had everything handed to him from that day forward. Problem is they handed it to him when he got on the field and the real bullets started flying. Too bad it took Modrak and Ralph 4 years to realize assuming they don't try this again next year.

We kept the wrong guy!

We should have never let JP Losman go. Paraphrasing Dennis Green, "Edwards is who we thought he was." He is a weak armed checkdown bum. JP was not a savior either but the guy would chuck the ball down the field which at least challenged the defense beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. At least it opened up the run game unlike Trent.

Imagine if our previous front office committed to JP for 4 years like they did with Trent? This front office gave Trent every opportunity and never ONCE brought in any free agent QB that had even the most remote chance of challenging him for the starting job. FOUR YEARS!!! It is even more amazing that in spite of the straw man competitors to his job that were brought in HE STILL MANAGED TO LOSE IT TWICE!!!

I would have rather dealt with some of JP's bone headed moves and gaffs while letting it rip and trying to win a game than watching the slow, painful, ball-less death that was Trent Edwards. What could have been if JP was given the endorsement of Bill Walsh and the blind faith and support of the front office. Might have turned that kid around.

Just when I thought it was impossible to get any sillier.

You never disappoint.

Just when I thought it was impossible to get any sillier.

You never disappoint.

Really? Did you find the games you watched any more entertaining with Edwards? Personally I found them less entertaining. Kind of like having each bone in your body broken one at a time slowly. JP was still like getting every bone in your body broken but at least it was merciful and exciting. LOL. I guess you thought we were always "in it" as long as Trent could complete 70% of his passes. Who cares that half of them were behind the line of scrimmage and didn't convert 3rd downs but hey? lol

JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP! JP!

Edwards sucks, JP still sucks. My guess is there are plenty of JP posters hanging on bedroom walls.

We kept the wrong guy!

we have been playing musical quarterback for almost 15 years now. I don't see how we kept the wrong guy when there hasn't been a "right" guy either. Just sayin. :D

So basically you're saying Losman had 1 year, 2006, to start and finish the season as the starter while Edwards has had 3?

*I'm putting an asterisk on the 2007 season as we all know Edwards was drafted in the 2007 season to replace Losman because Jauron didn't like Losman's gunslinger style. We all seem to forget or never knew that Edwards was statistically inferior to JP in 2007 but still got and kept the job. JP had his replacement looking over his shoulder while Trent had free agent fodder that wouldn't make any other NFL roster much less challenge him for the starters job. It's only by Trent's own incredible ineptitude and frequent injuries that he lost his job to guys that couldn't play anywhere else.

The bolded statement is not what I was saying at all. Nor is it remotely consistent with the raw data I provided.

Both Edwards and Losman had one season of being the uncontested starter--2006 for Losman, and 2008 for Edwards. Losman and Edwards had two seasons each of being a "contested starter"--getting about half the starts in a competition with some other quarterback. Losman's contested starter seasons were 2005 (with Kelly Holcomb) and 2007 (with Trent Edwards). Edwards' two contested seasons were 2007 (with Losman) and 2009 (with Fitzpatrick).

Losman's and Edwards' careers are nearly parallel. They had nearly identical numbers of starts for the Bills, and have each had the same overall opportunity to prove themselves.

We kept the wrong guy!

This is like choosing between Pauly Shore and Rob Schneider.

We kept the wrong guy!

Come on... And Todd Collins was better than Rob Johnson, who was better than JP Losman who was better than Trent Edwards? So where does that leave us? Top 5 draft pick in 2011, that is where. JP was very inaccurate with the sort ball and since you need about 3-4 seconds for his strength, the long ball, he’d have been benched too.

I still believe with this line you would need a top 10 NFL QB for the team to have any success.