I laugh at all of you who think a QB change will fix anything

I don't know how many people think he is a savior, I am sure there is a few, but I do think this move screams desperation after only two games. Anyone who watches the game knows, the biggest problem is the offensive line, so the only part of this move that makes sense is becuase Fitz is more mobile, and will be running for his life, just like Edwards was. How much could have changed in just two weeks, after looking at who knows how many hours of film, mini camps, training camps, pre season games, etc? It obviously is another season of "Here we go again!" Give it 3 or 4 weeks and then it will be Brohms turn, then back to Edwards, etc. It is becoming apparent already that this coaching staff is just another in the long line of jokes and no different than Jauron, Mularkey, Williams, etc. As long as Ralph is around things will never change. Gailey and Nix claim it is going to take some time to rebuild, rebuilding takes consistency and changing your QB every two weeks sets you back to square one each time you do that. I like Fitz, but as people have been saying over the past few weeks, we have the worst starting QB in the league without a doubt now. This FO screwed up their first draft by not addressing the QB or Tackles positions, and it is becoming more and more obvious each and every game.

biggest problem in first game was offensive line. but against pack there were receivers running free. there were issues on the O-line but actually most of them held there own. a couple missed assignments on Matthews, but sometimes QB will read that in advance. Wood - bull rushed on one play. Howard - pretty good actually. Bell - not bad at all. Green - ran around once, maybe a missed assignment (who knows), but better overall than week 1. Hangartner - held his own. Was there a play or two they got to TE with 4? yeah. But often they sent 6 or 7. one play in particular (can't remember if it was a sack or the int grounding) there were 7 packers mixed with our line, which means only 4 in coverage. we actually held them off and TE still couldn't find a man to throw to. he's got to be able to find the 1-on-1's, possibly even pre-snap, but he rarely does.. i think that's probably what got him benched. he never sees ANYTHING before it happens.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what Fitzpatrick does, but when Trent ran for 2 yards on 4th and long with a couple mins left in the game down 34-7, I almost threw my buddy through the TV. I haven't been that irritated in a while.

At least not since he wouldn't throw (or even look) downfield, down by 5, late in the Miami game!! :wallbash:

So what relevance does Fitzpatrick going 5-4 last year have to this year exactly? We had more talent last year and I don't exactly remember him lighting it up. What were the scores of those games and who were we playing?

more talent last year? who? TO he sucked did uwatch at all? we have spiller whos better than him and healthy players who were out last year, and a 3-4 so ya thats why we are better not worse

I don't know exactly what this change means. Part of me just wants the Bills to go through the rebuilding pains. Win 1 game this year and get a franchise QB in the draft. Pick up the LT in free agency. Putting Fitz in probably will win us about 5 games tops and will get us the number 11 pick or whatever. We have seen this before. It's the foundation of mediocrity.

I'm just sick of the losing though. That said, I think it bad to lose games on purpose of getting a better draft pick. But, I thinks it's OK losing games to get a better draft position because we suck and don't have the talent to cut it. It's gonna have to happen sooner of later. We're gonna have to hit total rock-bottom before going up. And, I'm talking Raider/Lions/Rams rock bottom. We're close though.

Guest dog14787

I would say it somewhat differently. In my mind, this move ignores the true problem with the team - the same problem that has been our problem for the past several years. Instead of addressing the problem of the offensive line head on, the Bills decided to make one guy the scapegoat.

We will continue to be a piss poor team until the offensive line is fixed - no matter who the QB is.

I'm in agreement with you Peter,

Chan Gailey has lost his charm with me,he went from a coach full of fire and energy to a defeated old man in the length of two games.

Folks saying Gailey has balls for benching TE and I believe just the opposite,what, because the fella's using TE as a scapegoat, DJ's showed more balls then Gailey ever did in my opinion.

I'm happy for the boost in morale around here, but it makes me sick that we are doing the same thing we did last season all over again.

Same O-line problems, same pathetic hands department, nothings changed, new coaching staff, same old problems,

and now Fitz is supposed to save the day :angry:

You mean to say we took Gailey/Nix recommendation(or decision) not to get a QB in the off season or draft just so we can plug in Ryan Fitzpatrick again, you got to be friggin kidding me

I tried to get on board with this change, but the more I think about it, the more I get a bad taste in my mouth from the ongoing BS the Bills organization dishes out. :wallbash:

OK, I am gonna take a shot here,our OL is bad, or at least not good, granted, but a good QB

can hide a lot of an OL's deficencies. One glaring example of this was evident on the play agaimnst GB,

where Trent fakes a hand-off to the left and does a naked bootleg to the right, and runs smack into

Clay Mathhews. You could see as the play developed, that he had no clue as to the impending doom that

was about to consume him. Ben Rothlisberger, (and I realize that this a tough comparison), would not only

have ben aware of Matthews, but would have made a move to allude him as well, or would have just shrugged him

off, and either got rid of it out of bounds, or most likely even completed it. I am not asking for Trent to suddenly

morph into Big Ben, but he has absolutley no packet awareness at all, zero. Time to move on.

Edited by Cookiemonster

Guest dog14787

OK, I am gonna take a shot here,our OL is bad, or at least not good, granted, but a good QB

can hide a lot of an OL's deficencies. One glaring example of this was evident on the play agaimnst GB,

where Trent fakes a hand-off to the left and does a naked bootleg to the right, and runs smack into

Clay Mathhews. You could see as the play developed, that he had no clue as to the impending doom that

was about to consume him. Ben Rothlisberger, (and I realize that this a tough comparison), would not only

have ben aware of Matthews, but would have made a move to allude him as well, or would have just shrugged him

off, and either got rid of it out of bounds, or most likely even completed it. I am not asking for Trent to suddenly

morph into Big Ben, but he has absolutley no packet awareness at all, zero. Time to move on.

Mathews(of all people) goes unblocked into the backfield and gets to TE in 1.5 seconds and its TE's fault, Gotcha

Edited by dog14787

Mathews(of all people) goes unblocked into the backfield and gets to TE in 1.5 seconds and its TE's fault, Gotcha

You are totally, IMO, correct sir, let me ask you this, do you agree with my assessment regarding Ben most

likely being able to allude this? If you do, then why the hell can't Trent? Are you trying to tell me that you feel that

Trent has this awareness that I am alluding to? I will grant you that Ben is a pretty tough standard to measure

against, but most of the other decent QB's have this, and , IMO, Trent does not. That combined with his inability

to forget about the last play, and his playing scared, and I don't know how anybody can't see, that this is the right move.

This one play might not be the best example, although I feel that it is a perfect example of his lack of awareness, there

are many, many other plays, where his lack of awaremnness is very apparent. Good QB's make lemonade out of lemons.

Guest dog14787

You are totally, IMO, correct sir, let me ask you this, do you agree with my assessment regarding Ben most

likely being able to allude this? If you do, then why the hell can't Trent? Are you trying to tell me that you feel that

Trent has this awareness that I am alluding to? I will grant you that Ben is a pretty tough standard to measure

against, but most of the other decent QB's have this, and , IMO, Trent does not. That combined with his inability

to forget about the last play, and his playing scared, and I don't know how anybody can't see, that this is the right move.

This one play might not be the best example, although I feel that it is a perfect example of his lack of awareness, there

are many, many other plays, where his lack of awaremnness is very apparent. Good QB's make lemonade out of lemons.

Mathews is going to take down any QB on that play, Big Ben, anybody.(with the possible exception of Mike Vike)

To answer your question honestly, TE is not up to speed with his surroundings, but the Mathews sack is a poor example in my opinion

Edited by dog14787

Mathews is going to take down any QB on that play, Big Ben, anybody.

To answer your question honestly, TE is not up to speed with his surroundings, but the Mathews sack is a poor example in my opinion

possibly.. but why didn't he get blocked? sometimes it's hard to believe that Tackle would be that dumb or that poorly coached. Is this not something TE should see pre-snap and either know what to do or communicate to his line to account for Matthews? for TE to bootleg right into an unblocked pass rusher is confounding and seems to indicate some miscommunication at least... possibly a poor read. wish we could get more answers on specific questions from coaches... the proper people should be blamed for these things! =)

Bottom line. The problem is the offensive line. Blame good ol' dick for this one last season who blew it up. Right now I'd love to have Peters, Dockery and Walker back on this team. Atleast there was some semblance of protection. And 2 tackles who where decent. Right now we have a joke of a line. You can put Brady behind our current O-line, and we would stink just as bad.

You should actually take a minute away from fixing your Retatta and read the threads then. Most of us recognize that we're still SOL. Savior my ass!

If you're going to laugh, make sure it's a deep hearty laugh, with a hint of derision. Something like:

HHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

I'm in agreement with you Peter,

Chan Gailey has lost his charm with me,he went from a coach full of fire and energy to a defeated old man in the length of two games.

Folks saying Gailey has balls for benching TE and I believe just the opposite,what, because the fella's using TE as a scapegoat, DJ's showed more balls then Gailey ever did in my opinion.

Scapegoat, right.

I'll give you credit. You continue to ride that Edwards horse with the belief it's a stud when time and time again it has revealed it is mare in disguise.

And DJ showed more balls? Wow! Let it go.

I'm happy for the boost in morale around here, but it makes me sick that we are doing the same thing we did last season all over again.

Same O-line problems, same pathetic hands department, nothings changed, new coaching staff, same old problems,

and now Fitz is supposed to save the day :angry:

Fitz is supposed to help this team find an identity. He is not a long term solution. Over the past 4 years, this team has been told it is ok to lose, because it's hard to win in the NFL.

Chan cannot undo 4 years of that brainwashing in two games, especially when the QB of the team plays like he doesn't give a crap.

You mean to say we took Gailey/Nix recommendation(or decision) not to get a QB in the off season or draft just so we can plug in Ryan Fitzpatrick again, you got to be friggin kidding me

I tried to get on board with this change, but the more I think about it, the more I get a bad taste in my mouth from the ongoing BS the Bills organization dishes out. :wallbash:

Actaully, I am looking forward. This move was great and just a beginning. The Bills need to weed out that "loser" mentality.

If it means sacrificing a few fan favorites, then so be it.

I want this team to win, and NO PLAYER is protected from the process.

Bottom line. The problem is the offensive line. Blame good ol' dick for this one last season who blew it up. Right now I'd love to have Peters, Dockery and Walker back on this team. Atleast there was some semblance of protection. And 2 tackles who where decent. Right now we have a joke of a line. You can put Brady behind our current O-line, and we would stink just as bad.

Dockery was awful in 2008.. the worst LG play i've ever seen. Levitre is better. Howard is better.

D.Bell held his own last game... I had no problems with his play.

Walker is definitely better than Green. The problem was Butler was just as good, so Langston became expendable... until Butler got hurt after 2 games. Oops, guess they shoulda kept Walker to be a 5 million dollar backup. Hindsight.

Edited by Brainiac72

Guys, guys, guys.

This has gone beyond the point of ridiculous.

Edwards is horrible, and there's no defending it. The OL is bad, often times they're very bad, but they are NOT the reason for Edwards' struggles. The guy has no presence, no fortitude, and no leadership.

Yes, he faces pressure. News flash guys: every QB in the NFL faces pressure from opposing defenses. You might even say that it's part of their job--to perform in the face of pressure. However, the pressure Edwards faces is only slightly--if at all--more daunting than some other NFL QBs. Did you guys watch the Colts-Giants game on Sunday night? What Eli Manning faced--that was pressure. Every play he was harrassed, hit, sacked; someone in his face. After watching that game, it makes what Trent faced look like a day at the beach...seriously. Trent was sacked, hit, or hurried what, maybe 8 to 10 times on Sunday? What about the other 50 plays? The plays where he can't find a wide open receiver running across the middle of the field? The 4th-and-11, down 27 points, where he chooses not to throw the ball despite a full 7 seconds of protection? Guys, this isn't a new thing, he's no good. He could have a year-and-a-half in the pocket, and he wouldn't get it done. We've seen it.

Last season, with an OL that was missing 3 starters, Fitzpatrick was sacked--on average--2.3 times per game. Compare that to Edwards, who--with a healthier OL--was sacked 3.8 times per game. Why? Because Edwards has no pocket presense, zero, none at all. When he gets any type of outside pressure, he drops himself even further back, falling right into it. Good NFL QBs don't do that; marginal NFL QBs don't do that. Try this Trent: step UP into the pocket (yes, there is, in fact, a pocket on MOST of the pass plays the team calls).

You guys think that Chan Gailey doesn't see things like this? He does. So did Perry Fewell...so do a lot of people. No, a QB change isn't going to make THE difference, but it will make A difference. Is the answer on the current roster? No, not in my opinion, but in the meantime, let's at least put a guy in the game that has a desire to make a play, and isn't out there making the same mistakes he's been making for 3 straight seasons.

And that's all I've got to say about it...have a great day everyone.

Edited by thebandit27

If we had a good O Line, Trent would be my choice at QB. He's accurate and plays well when he has time and can get into a rhythm.

But we all know our line sucks. Given this, Fitz may indeed be the better option.

But he's no savior. Dree Brees would have trouble producing many points behind this line.

The only thing that can save this season is the O Line starting to mature and gel.

I posted on Sunday night that I wouldn't be watching another Bills game with Trent Edwards at QB. I have watched every single game for 20+ years and I was ready to stop. I was foaming at the mouth two 4th down's in a row watching dipstick run out of bounds not even attempting to get a first down.

I was very hopeful that Gailey would be able to "fix" Edwards, but it's obvious that Edwards is broken forever.. He just doesn't have what it takes.. letting him lose a few more games is just stupid.

Gailey did the right thing. At least Fitz tries to win.. and at the very least he would try to run for the 10 yards vs running out of bounds like a sissy.

Guest dog14787

I'm going to try to get on board with this, and to my fellow Bills fans who are just looking for something positive in the move, sorry for all the negative comments,