2011 Mock Draft

sullim4

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

1. Buffalo Bills: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

I don't think there can be anymore doubt that the Bills are the favorite to finish the year with the worst record in the NFL. There should have never been any doubt, but I constantly received e-mails and Facebook wall posts/messages from Buffalo fans this offseason, citing that I was crazy for thinking the Bills would be selecting first in the 2011 NFL Draft. After that ugly performance against Miami, I don't think I'll be getting any e-mails like that anytime soon.

That ugly performance by Trent Edwards was exactly what the Bills needed though. It'll force overwhelmed general manager Buddy Nix to draft a quarterback for a change. Jake Locker is mobile and can scramble for chunks of yardage pretty well, so maybe Chan Gailey will actually think he's good enough for his amazing "pass short, pass short, pass short, pass short" offense.

Locker is the No. 1 quarterback in the 2011 class - for now. We'll see what happens during the rest of the season, but Buffalo desperately needs to pick the top signal-caller on their draft board if they ever want to make the playoffs ever again.

Ryan Mallet is the next BIG thing...literally and physically! He is the answer to turn this franchise around IMO!

But please riddle me this...I just don't understand it...

Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama

As a mere sophomore last season in Alabama's 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense, Marcell Dareus really came on and accumulated 6.5 sacks in just four starts, and then proceeded to knock Colt McCoy out of the game during one of the two national championships this past winter.

What does he mean by that statement? What was the "other" national championship game?

I also LOVE what this guy said about the 49ers taking Christian Ponder as a "reach" too early...

San Francisco 49ers: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

Outside of Matt Cassel, Jake Delhomme and Trent Edwards, Alex Smith was the worst quarterback in all the season openers. Unlike Kevin Kolb, he played the whole game, and unlike Jason Campbell, he has the talent around him to succeed. If Smith keeps playing like this,the 49ers won't have a choice. They'll have to draft a quarterback.

Christian Ponder struggled against Oklahoma, but I have to believe he'll turn things around and build some momentum against the weak ACC. And with some character issues soon surfacing regarding Ryan Mallett, Ponder will be the clear-cut No. 3 quarterback in the 2011 NFL Draft.

This is my least favorite pick in my 2011 NFL Mock Draft because it's slightly too early for Ponder - especially after that Oklahoma game - but the fact remains that reaching for a quarterback is better than continuously starting a dreadful one.

Take note Ralph, Buddy, Tom, Doug and Chan! We do NOT have our answer on the team right now...NONE of them are capable NFL starters!

(It feels SO GOOD to FINALLY come to my senses and say that!)

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

Agreed ,Luck is the answer.

I truly want to like Jake Locker but there is just not enough evidence that he's the real deal. I hope Andrew Luck declares this season and subsequently falls to us, wherever we pick. Howeveer, even though I am relatively confident in Buddy Nix/Doug Whaley/Chan Gailey... after so many dismal years of draft failure, I really don't know if the Bills should be allowed to make a selection in the first round. They may need a 12 step program.

Since the 1970 merger, two OTs have been drafted as the first pick

1997 Orlando Pace OT

2008 Jake Long OT

For quarterback:

1970 Terry Bradshaw

1971 Jim Plunkett

1975 Steve Bartkowski

1983 John Elway

1987 Vinny Testaverde

1989 Troy Aikman

1990 Jeff George

1993 Drew Bledsoe

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Tim Couch

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr

2003 Carson Palmer

2004 Eli Manning

2005 Alex Smith

2007 Jamarcus Russell

2009 Matthew Stafford

2010 Sam Bradford

See any patterns there? Teams at the #1 slot since 1998 or so almost always draft the "best" QB available, probably trying to imitate the Colts and Manning. I mean that list is chock full of HOF QBs until Tim Couch got drafted.

I honestly know nothing about the upcoming 2011 classes. Is it a particularly strong OT or QB class? If so, I say draft the position that's weaker first to assure you get someone who has promise, and then draft for the other in the second round.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jlocker.php

WTF???

Jake Locker - 2011 NFL Draft Scouting Report:

Summary: If Jimmy Clausen wasn't in this draft and I needed a quarterback, I wouldn't hesitate to take Jake Locker No. 1 overall. Locker could very well go No. 1 this year even with Clausen, but we’ll see. He is a highly unpolished prospect, but has shown the potential and intangibles to warrant a team believing he can develop. He will be a top-five pick. Don't be shocked if Al Davis or Daniel Snyder trades the farm for him.

Since the 1970 merger, two OTs have been drafted as the first pick

1997 Orlando Pace OT

2008 Jake Long OT

For quarterback:

1970 Terry Bradshaw

1971 Jim Plunkett

1975 Steve Bartkowski

1983 John Elway

1987 Vinny Testaverde

1989 Troy Aikman

1990 Jeff George

1993 Drew Bledsoe

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Tim Couch

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr

2003 Carson Palmer

2004 Eli Manning

2005 Alex Smith

2007 Jamarcus Russell

2009 Matthew Stafford

2010 Sam Bradford

See any patterns there? Teams at the #1 slot since 1998 or so almost always draft the "best" QB available, probably trying to imitate the Colts and Manning. I mean that list is chock full of HOF QBs until Tim Couch got drafted.

I honestly know nothing about the upcoming 2011 classes. Is it a particularly strong OT or QB class? If so, I say draft the position that's weaker first to assure you get someone who has promise, and then draft for the other in the second round.

33% of those QBs have won at least 1 Super Bowl, 22% have won multiple Super Bowls. Another (Bledsoe) played in one & was on the bench for another after contributing to the team getting there in the AFC Championship game. If the right QB is available at #1 you take him. Unfortunately the next great one may be Luck. If Luck stays & we draft the wrong guy this year, we won't be able to take Luck a year later, unless we really have the stones to say Luck is so much better that we jettison the guy we take this year.

Ryan Mallet is the next BIG thing...literally and physically! He is the answer to turn this franchise around IMO!

+1

Ryan Mallett passed for 380 yards against a decent UGA defense, and came up with a clutch last minute TD. He shows some big play ability, and his college team is actually winning, unlike Tulane and Stanford with our last two QBs drafted. A QB has to be a proven winner in college to make it at the next level. I really can't think of a QB from a losing college team that has gone on to a successful NFL career.

Edited by buffaloaggie