Two Years Ago Christmas Eve...

buckeyemike

I posted the following about my deciding to root for the Packers. Don't hate me. At least it's not the Steelers, Dolphins, Patriots, or even my hometown Browns:

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

This is one big reason why I'm having a hard time watching the NFL anymore.

What we're seeing in Buffalo may eventually kill the franchise...or force it to move. We all know the economic troubles the country is having. And it's much worse in both NE Ohio and WNY.

It's also why if I'm going to root for one certain NFL team from now on, it's the Packers, for the following reasons:

a) They will never move. I will walk through hell in a gasoline suit before I go through that again (to paraphrase Pete Rose).

b) The stadium. Lambeau Field is for REAL fans. All the club seats and luxury boxes are at the top of the stadium, which means the best fans are on top of the action, and the rich people get the crappy seats.

c) The tailgating. Simply great, one of the three best in the league (along with Buffalo and KC).

d) They seem to be somewhat fan-friendlier than other NFL teams, probably because of the stock ownership setup. The Browns certainly aren't.

e) Success in recent years. I think this year's been a blip on the radar screen.

f) Great, great history. Only the Bears come close.

g) Most of an entire state (and many across the nation) support the team.

h) They are more dependent upon the fans than other teams, as most of their supplementary income is through Pro Shop sales (visit their website here.), stadium tours, concessions, and Curly's Pub restaurant at Lambeau, which is open year-round.

i) The Packers, in order to increase their income, are looking at purchasing property around the stadium for further development. A hotel/waterpark and parking garages have been discussed if the Packers buy additional surrounding property. All the more to compete with the Cowboys' new palace that Jerry Jones is mortgaging his team for.

ij They will never move.

k) Stadium is on the fringes of a residential neighborhood, with smart looking ranch houses...similar to OP, but quite a bit more built up. Two blocks from the stadium looks like my hometown of Rocky River, Ohio; except for the green and gold fire hydrants and the signs that say "No Parking on Game Days".

l) Bars and restaurants all around, most notably Favre's steakhouse and the Stadium View Bar.

m) They will never move.

n) A Hall of Fame inside the Lambeau Field Atrium. I went to the old one the only time I was up in Green Bay, in 1998. I hear the new one is much bigger and nicer.

o) Did I mention that the team will NEVER, EVER move? Sorry, but that's a big one for me.

...so I will be rooting for Green Bay tomorrow. You can see by my avatar, which was taken at the Packers-Browns game in Cleveland last year. If you had told me in 1990 that I would not be a Browns fan because they had left, I probably would have laughed and said no way. And then there was the Bills.

...and now, to many of you, I am a Packers troll. Despite the fact I've been here almost eight years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I must really like you people. :)

The Jets will also never move - should I go root for them???

I never thought my formerly beloved Browns would move. That's why I root for the Packers. I forgave Art Modell 10+ years ago, but I never, ever want that again. And sadly, I think that's where the Bills are headed. Probably Toronto.

I don't know how you can just "switch" your loyalty from team to team. There's something wrong with you.

I was raised a Bills fan and have never, nor will I ever waver in my undying loyalty to this team. Being a fan means sticking with the team NO MATTER WHAT. Through thick and thin, good times and bad.

You're a traitor and you ARE a troll.

I never thought my formerly beloved Browns would move. That's why I root for the Packers. I forgave Art Modell 10+ years ago, but I never, ever want that again. And sadly, I think that's where the Bills are headed. Probably Toronto.

I'm confused? Isn't there an NFL team in Cleveland called the Browns? You sound like the guy that cheats on his girlfriend 5 minutes after they get in a bad fight and when she's surprised says, "but we broke up."

As others have said, the Jets won't ever move. Why not cheer for them? Or how about the Redskins or Cowboys? Lots of teams have little to no chance of ever moving. Be honest with yourself and us; you just felt like cheering for the Packers cause you like them. No need for false pretenses.

I posted the following about my deciding to root for the Packers. Don't hate me. At least it's not the Steelers, Dolphins, Patriots, or even my hometown Browns:

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

This is one big reason why I'm having a hard time watching the NFL anymore.

What we're seeing in Buffalo may eventually kill the franchise...or force it to move. We all know the economic troubles the country is having. And it's much worse in both NE Ohio and WNY.

It's also why if I'm going to root for one certain NFL team from now on, it's the Packers, for the following reasons:

a) They will never move. I will walk through hell in a gasoline suit before I go through that again (to paraphrase Pete Rose).

b) The stadium. Lambeau Field is for REAL fans. All the club seats and luxury boxes are at the top of the stadium, which means the best fans are on top of the action, and the rich people get the crappy seats.

c) The tailgating. Simply great, one of the three best in the league (along with Buffalo and KC).

d) They seem to be somewhat fan-friendlier than other NFL teams, probably because of the stock ownership setup. The Browns certainly aren't.

e) Success in recent years. I think this year's been a blip on the radar screen.

f) Great, great history. Only the Bears come close.

g) Most of an entire state (and many across the nation) support the team.

h) They are more dependent upon the fans than other teams, as most of their supplementary income is through Pro Shop sales (visit their website here.), stadium tours, concessions, and Curly's Pub restaurant at Lambeau, which is open year-round.

i) The Packers, in order to increase their income, are looking at purchasing property around the stadium for further development. A hotel/waterpark and parking garages have been discussed if the Packers buy additional surrounding property. All the more to compete with the Cowboys' new palace that Jerry Jones is mortgaging his team for.

ij They will never move.

k) Stadium is on the fringes of a residential neighborhood, with smart looking ranch houses...similar to OP, but quite a bit more built up. Two blocks from the stadium looks like my hometown of Rocky River, Ohio; except for the green and gold fire hydrants and the signs that say "No Parking on Game Days".

l) Bars and restaurants all around, most notably Favre's steakhouse and the Stadium View Bar.

m) They will never move.

n) A Hall of Fame inside the Lambeau Field Atrium. I went to the old one the only time I was up in Green Bay, in 1998. I hear the new one is much bigger and nicer.

o) Did I mention that the team will NEVER, EVER move? Sorry, but that's a big one for me.

...so I will be rooting for Green Bay tomorrow. You can see by my avatar, which was taken at the Packers-Browns game in Cleveland last year. If you had told me in 1990 that I would not be a Browns fan because they had left, I probably would have laughed and said no way. And then there was the Bills.

...and now, to many of you, I am a Packers troll. Despite the fact I've been here almost eight years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I must really like you people. :)

In other words, your a poser bandwagon fan, why not follow the detroit lions which most of those conditions apply for? Thats right, they dont win, and it doesnt look cool to wear their gear. I sport my Bills gear in NJ all the time because i don't care whether they win or lose, I'm a Bills fan and find pride in what they do good, defense, secondary, run game etc. We have a retard at QB, thats the only thing that separates us from GB right now.

Edited by Stussy109

I don't know how you can just "switch" your loyalty from team to team. There's something wrong with you.

I was raised a Bills fan and have never, nor will I ever waver in my undying loyalty to this team. Being a fan means sticking with the team NO MATTER WHAT. Through thick and thin, good times and bad.

Hell yes lets-go-bills I agree with you. Bills for life. How did you go from Browns to Bills and then quit on Buffalo. You said you lost Cleveland to the move but why Buffalo? (Because we didn't win enough games) You were never a Bills fan. We are in it for life. (And were not moving) Go Bills. F the cheeseheads

ij They will never move.

m) They will never move.

How can you be so certain? This is a team that, before 1995, played half of their home schedule in Milwaukee because they couldn't support the team solely in Green Bay. Enter Brett Favre, winning, and suddenly they're this historically great fanbase. They've done a great job the last 15 years of maintaining a winning product, but give them 5 or 6 years of losing and are they back to that again? If the basis of the Bills moving to Toronto is that they play a game there, isn't it just as viable the Packers move?

Life is short, if it makes you happy, go for it. Myself, I could never abandon my team even if I tried. If the Bills did move, I probably would stop watching football on a regular basis and life would go on.

I agree, do as you please. I also back the notion of probably no longer supporting the NFL if the Bills were to move.

How can you be so certain? This is a team that, before 1995, played half of their home schedule in Milwaukee because they couldn't support the team solely in Green Bay. Enter Brett Favre, winning, and suddenly they're this historically great fanbase. They've done a great job the last 15 years of maintaining a winning product, but give them 5 or 6 years of losing and are they back to that again? If the basis of the Bills moving to Toronto is that they play a game there, isn't it just as viable the Packers move?

The Packers are owned by stockholders, and no person may amass more than 200,000 shares (out of approximately 4,750,000). Thus, no one person can gain control of enough shares to move the team. They will always remain in Green Bay unless they fold, an unlikely scenario. If they were to fold, the assets go to the Green Bay Packers Foundation, for charitable distribution.

The team is governed by a seven member executive committee, chosen by a 45 member board of directors.

Further, even in their down years in the 70s and 80s, the Packers sold out at both Green Bay and Milwaukee. The Packers have sold out every home game for fifty years. They have a waiting list of over 80,000 names for season tickets. Really, it was Vince Lombardi that set the whole thing in motion.

In the late 50s, prior to Lombardi, most of the NFL wanted the team moved to Milwaukee. Lombardi's success probably prevented an eventual move.

And the reason why they stopped playing in Milwaukee was because County Stadium did not have club seats or luxury boxes. By the mid-90s, Lambeau Field had both, and the team was losing money playing @ County.

Seriously. If it were that easy to just switch teams, we'd all be posting on the Saints board. It's not easy being a Bills fan.

C'est la vie. You can root for whatever team you want. Just don't expect much sympathy from die-hard Bills fans when you gloat about jumping ship to a franchise on the rise. But riddle me this, Batman: if and/or when Green Bay wins the big one, will you have gained a deep sense of satisfaction? Was that fandom earned through years of heartache and devotion? Do you deserve the right to say "That right there, THAT'S my team"?

It's not a mortal sin and again, it's your life. But every time I watch the Bills all I beg for is "just one time". Just one time let it be magical for this town, this team. And by God, when they do finally have that one shining moment I'll be crying my eyes out and basking in the afterglow, and it'll be because I rooted for that damn miserable team from the day I was born.

So take your satisfaction where you can get it. But for some of us, being a Bills fan isn't just about liking red, white, and blue laundry.

Edited by FightinIrishBills

He was never a Bills fan to begin with. His post is designed to stir up real Bills fans. Don't fall for it.

Life is short, if it makes you happy, go for it. Myself, I could never abandon my team even if I tried. If the Bills did move, I probably would stop watching football on a regular basis and life would go on.

If the Bills ever did move, we all might find it as easy to change loyalties as Mr Horseman. I know I would. And he's already lost one team. Losing two would really suck.

I could NEVER stop rooting for the Bills as long as they are in existence...NEVER. I've been emotionally invested in this team since I was nine years old. I LOVE this football team. I love the fanbase, I love WNY (even though I am from MA), tailgating at the Ralph, etc.

I had some friends who grew up rooting for the Bills with me in MA, and switched their allegiances when Bledsoe went down and Boy Wonder started winning Super Bowls for them. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. How can you feel a part of something like that when you jumped ship just as things started to go well? It's strange to me.

Take this gentleman here...how can you look back on Bart Starr, or even the Brett Farve era Packers with any pride? They were never your team until recently! That's not your history...I look back on Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Thurman, and Bruce with pride because as a young boy I lived and died with that team.

What I DO understand about our friend here is him loving football so much that he decided to root for the Bills when the Browns moved. That's understandable. I have come to the same conclusion myself. If/when the Bills move, I have decided that my love for the game is so intense that I will probably root for someone else. (Ironically, it will most likely be Cleveland because they are right down Lake Erie, similar Die-Hard fanbase, won't be bandwagon-jumping cause the Browns are awful too, etc.) But you can bet your a$$ that if someone ever put a team back in Buffalo that I would go right back to where it all started.

That's what I don't understand, why didn't you just go back to rooting for the Browns and keep the Bills as a second team?

I just love all the posts from people touting their new teams after they decide to stop supporting the Bills. It's like the ex-girlfriend who keeps showing up with her new boyfriend at your old haunts and wants a reaction.

Nobody cares.

All the best to you. The herd is better for having been thinned of your bandwagonness. Make a nice little hat out of a block of Velveeta and enjoy being a faux-cheesehead.

Buh

Bye.

I just love all the posts from people touting their new teams after they decide to stop supporting the Bills. It's like the ex-girlfriend who keeps showing up with her new boyfriend at your old haunts and wants a reaction.

Nobody cares.

All the best to you. The herd is better for having been thinned of your bandwagonness. Make a nice little hat out of a block of Velveeta and enjoy being a faux-cheesehead.

Buh

Bye.

:worthy: