WHAT--I said what?

3rdnlng

2-3 passengers an hour? 1.9 million dollars of "stimulus" money? WTF is more like it!

http://www.newschief.com/article/20100715/news/7155050

Listen Dammit! Don't you understand that we need to spend trillions on a "green economy"? It's like you haven't been paying attention this entire time! Solutions don't solve problems, spending money solves problems. We have to spend money, in order to save it.*

* Brought to you by all the rest of the LBJ, Vietnam-era nonsense. The 60's. An entire waste of time and money spent on intellectual vapidity. :rolleyes:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

There's actually been a lot of concern about why Winter Haven Area Transit is receiving these funds ahead of other area transits that are in greater need. According to Winter Haven City Commissioner Jamie Beckett, stimulus funds for buses are not provided based on need, but rather on a complex formula that prioritizes on a reverse alphabetical system developed by Congress.

Beckett stated that, alphabetically speaking, Winter Have is at the bottom of the list, however with Congress' reverse alphabetical system, Winter Haven is at the top of the list.

"So while I understand there may be areas with greater need," Beckett added, "the reality is, WHAT's on first."

There's actually been a lot of concern about why Winter Haven Area Transit is receiving these funds ahead of other area transits that are in greater need. According to Winter Haven City Commissioner Jamie Beckett, stimulus funds for buses are not provided based on need, but rather on a complex formula that prioritizes on a reverse alphabetical system developed by Congress.

Beckett stated that, alphabetically speaking, Winter Have is at the bottom of the list, however with Congress' reverse alphabetical system, Winter Haven is at the top of the list.

"So while I understand there may be areas with greater need," Beckett added, "the reality is, WHAT's on first."

Must be Wassila is next in line then.

Who?

Seriously, I like how they try to rationalize the purchase by saying that the ten yr old buses have 350,000 miles on them. It may sound a lot compared to your average Chevy. But for transit buses, it's about 1/3 of realistic useful life. Nice try though.

Who?

Seriously, I like how they try to rationalize the purchase by saying that the ten yr old buses have 350,000 miles on them. It may sound a lot compared to your average Chevy. But for transit buses, it's about 1/3 of realistic useful life. Nice try though.

Cue up Obama's Captain Kirk impression:"Infrastructure...crumbling...must...spend...money."

Hey, it's everything you want in made for Nickelodeon parlance. Create a fantastical scenario and a plethora of problems that either don't exist or are based on pure speculation, and then provide seemingly plausible, and over-simplified solutions to them. And, Obama is every bit the over-actor as Shatner, so he can pull it off. What do you want?

Cue up Obama's Captain Kirk impression:"Infrastructure...crumbling...must...spend...money."

Hey, it's everything you want in made for Nickelodeon parlance. Create a fantastical scenario and a plethora of problems that either don't exist or are based on pure speculation, and then provide seemingly plausible, and over-simplified solutions to them. And, Obama is every bit the over-actor as Shatner, so he can pull it off. What do you want?

I think it is time to upgrade Congress. Completely.

Who?

Considering how few people use the buses, pershaps we can use the buses to pick up all the Africans who need to be taught how to wash themselves after sex.

Picard > Kirk > Obama

:nana:

Considering how few people use the buses, pershaps we can use the buses to pick up all the Africans who need to be taught how to wash themselves after sex.

Are you trying to say that we should use the buses purchased with stimulus money to pick up people to stimulate?

Are you trying to say that we should use the buses purchased with stimulus money to pick up people to stimulate?

Close. I'm saying we use the buses purchased with the stimulus money to pick up the people that need to be stimulated with stimulus money in an effort to aggressively transform the economy.

I know those dudes in Africa are probably not very clean, but this is not what I thought Obama meant when he referred to funding "shovel ready" jobs.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who drives by those big "Recovery Act" signs in areas where there is actually nothing happening? I'm serious, here. I have yet to see anything actually taking place by those signs. Just the signs.

Edited by LABillzFan

Close. I'm saying we use the buses purchased with the stimulus money to pick up the people that need to be stimulated with stimulus money in an effort to aggressively transform the economy.

I know those dudes in Africa are probably not very clean, but this is not what I thought Obama meant when he referred to funding "shovel ready" jobs.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who drives by those big "Recovery Act" signs in areas where there is actually nothing happening? I'm serious, here. I have yet to see anything actually taking place by those signs. Just the signs.

Damn, LA I thought you were smarter than that. We put many thousands of sign makers to work. That's how you stimulate the economy and transform America!

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=39049

Edited by 3rdnlng

In some places, there was only enough stimulous money to make the signs. But think of all the sign maker jobs created or saved.

Who?

Actually, I question that. There's no mention that the buses each have that many miles on them.

It's a very poorly worded article. It sounds like they're replacing 5 buses and I interpreted the who's-on-first-speak to mean a total of 350,000 miles on them - or about 70,000 each. Which sounds about right if they toodling around Winter Haven schlepping 3 riders an hour from trailer park to library to shopping center to trailer park to recreation hall to Doctor's office to trailer park. It's not that big an area.

$380,000.00 per bus seems a trifling - if they each have a jacuzzi, full bar, disco and give free tennis and/or mambo lessons to every rider.

Who?

I agree purely on the service life that is written down... Then there are the real-life numbers.

The less miles you put on ANY vehicle... Over the course of the service life, one ends up changing a lot of things at earlier intervals that normally wouldn't need to be fixed if the vehicle was run more.

I know it sounds screwy... You either run them fully and have them last longer... Or run them less and many different parts die quicker. Of course I am talking about the middle of the service range. What I am saying, with so few miles... I see it as more of a wear and tear problem... Believe it or not, they are "harder" miles. Even for a transit bus.

Try driving your vehicle a 1/2 mile to and from work everyday... See how long certain parts last. Parts that should last 3-4 times longer under heavier service.