Final Word on Evans(#1?) vs Edwards

PDaDdy

agreed, Lee was open on a LOT of replays during last week's game. and when he wasnt wide open, he was open enough to where a real QB would at least throw the ball and give him a chance to make a play.

Edwards is coming down with Losman-itis, where they have to see a player WIDE OPEN (a la the blown coverage on Roscoe's TD) before he will throw it. He will NOT throw it to a spot, and doesnt know how to make reads and anticipations to hit WRs who are getting open.

Do some of you get different game feeds than the rest of us? What replays showed wr's downfield wide open??

Not to say I believe otherwise, but without an actual game tape made for coaches/scouts, I don't understand how fans sitting at home watching the game are able to tell if Lee or any other WR was open downfield. Perhaps I missed those camera angles?? :huh:

Do some of you get different game feeds than the rest of us? What replays showed wr's downfield wide open??

Not to say I believe otherwise, but without an actual game tape made for coaches/scouts, I don't understand how fans sitting at home watching the game are able to tell if Lee or any other WR was open downfield. Perhaps I missed those camera angles?? :huh:

Don't you know they bought the extra special Sunday tix. They get to send play calls directly to the QB's helmet. They didn't see ****. They have no idea waht the play call was supposed to be. Most of the time when a WR is seen running open it is because the ball has already been thrown to a differnet spot on the field.

You can't be serious, right? :huh: Evans is far better than Peer-less ever could dream of being. Put Evans with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Schaub, Rodgers, Cutler, or McNabb and he's making the Pro Bowl year in and year out. Heck put him on any team that has an OL to give the QB time, and that QB is atleast serviceable, he would have over a 1,000 yards and 8 TD's every year.

Evans is a hall of fame talent. Shame he is wasting away in Buffalo in his prime thanks to Edwards horrible play.

Don't you know they bought the extra special Sunday tix. They get to send play calls directly to the QB's helmet. They didn't see ****. They have no idea waht the play call was supposed to be. Most of the time when a WR is seen running open it is because the ball has already been thrown to a differnet spot on the field.

I didn't buy the extra special Sunday tix, I bought an old school paper ticket. I could see the whole field. Just like last year and the year before that and the year before that AND the year before that, Trent had guys open and didn't throw it to them. Instead he threw it to Spiller 4 yards behind the LOS. One play in the first half, Spiller went in motion and went long and WAS open, but didn't receive a pass. And no, the ball had not already been thrown elsewhere.

We're going to have to live with this until either Coach Gailey wises up or Trent gets his annual early season injury. I don't think he's going to survive the Jets game.

I don't think Evans is a true #1 WR, but I think it's debatable. No way in hell though that Stevie Johnson looks like a #2 right now, I think that may be part of the problem that is being overlooked after Week 1.

I am not sure why everyone loves Stevie Johnson so much. I would have much preferred keeping Chad Jackson for that role, this year.

^^ Agreed on both Chad Jackson and now Nelson.

Also, my comment in regards to seeing WR's open from a TV was in no way an excuse for Edwards. I am of the opinion that 'wide open' is a rarity and at some point TE needs to learn to allow his WR's an opportunity to make a play.

Do you have any of the details to the stats your offering as fact? I am curious how you found stats on points just scored by the offense as opposed to points scored by the team which include special teams and defensive scores. I'm always on the look out for good sources of information to data mine for trends and "truths" that may shake out of the numbers.

I suspect you may actually be using team scoring as opposed to just offensive scoring. Not that it is a relevant comparison to a single WRs performance as it relates to one particular QB being the starter or not. Even if the "real" numbers support your claim the success of the team is not the focus of this post. The point is that the bogus claim that Lee Evans isn't a number #1 WR as an excuse for Trent's poor performance is completely unfounded.

Yes, I went the lazy man route stat analysis and went with points scored in game vs seeing if they were offensive/defensive/ST driven points. I also included games in which Trent started even though in a few games he might have only played 1 or 2 series.

Edited by The Jokeman

Whose talking about jump balls? I just want Trent to throw Lee the ball like every other QB Lee has played with that had him scoring almost a TD every other game. Who cares about jump balls? Hit him when he is open like all the other QBs did.

Seriously. I remember when Gillbride left town, people on here raked him thru the coals for a quote about preferring deep balls because it's hard to sustain 10-12 play drives. Not to totally defend him because our offense was pretty damn dreadful in '03, but with the personnel we have now I think that is especially true. Most of our drives end in a 3&out anyway and Lee is one of the best deep threats in the game. How Trent doesn't chuck it deep at least once per quarter is just hard to believe.

Evans is a hall of fame talent. Shame he is wasting away in Buffalo in his prime thanks to Edwards horrible play.

No he is not a hall of fame talent. Based on what??????? His horrible play the last two years. His drops the last two years? Buffalo is wasting its time having him run routes and stick close to defenders.

All we can do is rely on what we can glean from the politically correct statements of the likes of Jim Kelly, Terrell Owens and Lee Evans. They have all intimated that Trent is not taking the shots when they are called. True enough we don't often see the wide angle shot to see whether the WR aren't open OR IF THEY ARE and Trent just is Rob Johnson v2.0.

When I am at the game however I can say I have seen WR's come open before the ball is thrown or the QB is in his throwing motion. Most of the problem is that at the NFL level a QB has to anticipate his WR being open and throw the ball before or when he makes his break. Trent does not do this. It's really quite simple. Look at most of the completions you DO see Trent make. His WR has run either a hook pattern or an out and the WR has no one within 4+ of him.

There was one replay I did see of the game on Sunday. You could tell Trent was methodically taking his time going through his progressions while Lee was wide open. By the time Trent got his head and more importantly eyes around the defense caved in on Edwards for no run after catch. Good NFL QBs read the defense and will go to the best option not just methodically go through his progressions if he sees a guy is going to get open.

Anyhow, the point of the thread is that Evans is very productive with mediocre to bad talent at QB but Edwards is a whole other animal of bad in the TD department as far as getting production out of Lee.

I didn't buy the extra special Sunday tix, I bought an old school paper ticket. I could see the whole field. Just like last year and the year before that and the year before that AND the year before that, Trent had guys open and didn't throw it to them. Instead he threw it to Spiller 4 yards behind the LOS. One play in the first half, Spiller went in motion and went long and WAS open, but didn't receive a pass. And no, the ball had not already been thrown elsewhere.

We're going to have to live with this until either Coach Gailey wises up or Trent gets his annual early season injury. I don't think he's going to survive the Jets game.

Awesome points. I have seen for years other teams make good gains with passes to the RB in the flat. Problem with Trent is that he doesn't anticpate who the best options is before or shortly after the snap. By the time he gets around to checking down to the RB the defense has collapsed and the RB has no chance for run after catch.

Yes, I went the lazy man route stat analysis and went with points scored in game vs seeing if they were offensive/defensive/ST driven points. I also included games in which Trent started even though in a few games he might have only played 1 or 2 series.

No prob. I was hoping I found another site for good stat break down. Stats are definitely not the whole story but when properly used they can tell you a whole lot or at least give you a lot to think about.

Seriously. I remember when Gillbride left town, people on here raked him thru the coals for a quote about preferring deep balls because it's hard to sustain 10-12 play drives. Not to totally defend him because our offense was pretty damn dreadful in '03, but with the personnel we have now I think that is especially true. Most of our drives end in a 3&out anyway and Lee is one of the best deep threats in the game. How Trent doesn't chuck it deep at least once per quarter is just hard to believe.

On the money. Lee Evans is a Porsche of a resource that is being wasted driving to the grocery store :( Not saying his is the best out there by any means but he is a play maker if we use him.