A reason to be hopeful

Coach Tuesday

I was at the game yesterday and I too was disgusted. Actually, revolted.

But thinking about it some more, there is one reason I can think of to be somewhat hopeful/optimistic. Yesterday's game looked a lot like Week 1 of the preseason against the Redskins. It became clear as the preseason unfolded that Chan took week 1 to evaluate what he had, and made the necessary changes going forward. I'm hoping that the same thing happens here. Chan knows what he has now. He's an offensive-minded coach, unlike Jauron. He'll do what he needs to do and spend the time to get the offense fixed based on what he has (and doesn't have), and what he has seen.

As bad as yesterday was, I'm cautiously optimistic that the same pattern emerges that we saw in the preseason, and the necessary adjustments are made going forward.

It's a glimmer, more like a prayer, but it's something.

But thinking about it some more, there is one reason I can think of to be somewhat hopeful/optimistic. Yesterday's game looked a lot like Week 1 of the preseason against the Redskins. It became clear as the preseason unfolded that Chan took week 1 to evaluate what he had, and made the necessary changes going forward. I'm hoping that the same thing happens here. Chan knows what he has now. He's an offensive-minded coach, unlike Jauron. He'll do what he needs to do and spend the time to get the offense fixed based on what he has (and doesn't have), and what he has seen.

As bad as yesterday was, I'm cautiously optimistic that the same pattern emerges that we saw in the preseason, and the necessary adjustments are made going forward.

:thumbsup:

Thank you, Coach. At least there's one person thinking along the same lines I am.

I keep telling everyone to wait at least 4 games. We'll have a better idea then about what this team can do.

Good take. It will be interesting to see how quick Chan's hook will be. He doesn't have any long term investments with some of the bigger misfits, so I hope changes will be made sooner than later. If this truly is a rebuilding project, no shame in dumping the dead weight now & scouring the waiver wire for replacements to get through the season.

Right on. Switching to the two minute offense to sustain a drive was a good coaching adjustment. Going for it on 4th down with 4 verticals was a call DJ doesn't even make in Gym class flag football. Phin's were clearly surprised the WR's kept running instead of hooking underneath. If nothing else he makes deicsions to win and not to avoid losing. Chan is an upgrade, period.

Perhaps they need to start hitting the QBs in practice. When you have Manning you don't need to but with the situation in Buf, at least you get to answer that one question which Chan clearly didn't know coming in.

Looking for other positives?

- McK looked GREAT

- Roscoe Catch balls and returning punts- gamer.

- ST's were good. McIntire... Can anyone tell he already signed a contract extension by his play, wow first down field, sure tackling.

- 3-4 looks to have succeeded in bringing more pressure to the QB.

- The D was able to get off of the field quite a bit

- kicking game is top notch

- Nelson made a bunch of nice grabs

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I whole heartedly agree. We will keep getting better on offense no doubt. I was surprised we didn't overhaul Oline but give them a full season together and Trent and his receivers TE's and backs to get on the same page and improve execution sprinkled in with great play calling and we will be much more competitive sooner rather than later.

:thumbsup:

Thank you, Coach. At least there's one person thinking along the same lines I am.

I keep telling everyone to wait at least 4 games. We'll have a better idea then about what this team can do.

Yes after we go 0-4 we have a accurate picture of how lucky we'll be to win 1 game.

Yes after we go 0-4 we have a accurate picture of how lucky we'll be to win 1 game.

If they're 0-4 after 4 games, then so be it. I just want everyone to realize that this is not an overnight project. I wanted them to win yesterday as much as everyone (admittedly, I thought they *would* win), but it's 1 flippin' game.

If they look like they did yesterday for the next 3 games, then we'll know they have serious issues to fix.

If they look competitive and show 150% effort while still losing well-played games, then we'll know they're almost there.

You can't judge any team off of Week 1. That's the textbook definition of impatience.

Good post, one issue that they have to fix. RUNNING the freaking shotgun and passing from it so freaking much! The gameplan needed to be changed or adjusted at halftime like the defensive one was. Run a pro set if you have Trent in there, I mean I understand the reason (giving him more time, in theory) but man he just looked uncomfortable and it wasn't working.

He was running play action from the pro set in preseason and he looked good. Quick passes are fine and work with his strengths but they knew we were going to pass! I want all three RBs on the field sometimes too.

I didn't like that we stayed with it and the only time it worked was at the end when the fins went prevent and we went no huddle. I thought he executed that well.

The wildcat looked good and I thought it would have been creative to run it on first down at the one yard line after the punt.

The main thing is we didn't get a lot of deception out of the gameplan and I put that on Chan, hope he realizes the mistake. Otherwise besides the O not executing well and us losing, there were some good things in the game. I really liked that Marshell, Brown and Williams were all held to less than 100 yards each. D. Florence was a force out there and a lot of the time he was the one covering Marshell, who didn't get YAC much at all. Mckelvin looked real good in the 2nd half too.

Good post, Coach. I am with you on hoping. I guess we'll see, one way or another.

If they're 0-4 after 4 games, then so be it. I just want everyone to realize that this is not an overnight project. I wanted them to win yesterday as much as everyone (admittedly, I thought they *would* win), but it's 1 flippin' game.

If they look like they did yesterday for the next 3 games, then we'll know they have serious issues to fix.

If they look competitive and show 150% effort while still losing well-played games, then we'll know they're almost there.

You can't judge any team off of Week 1. That's the textbook definition of impatience.

I thought we knew at the end of last season that there were "serious issues to fix" Guess they need more losses to confirm it