Bills Report Card

Grades by position for the season opening loss to Miami:

Quarterbacks

Trent made some good throws during the no-huddle scoring drive. Outside of that, his play was a joke. All the things we disliked about Captain Checkdown returned, with the final seconds of the game serving as a perfect example of everything that is wrong with Edwards. Bench him now, the team will never be good with this guy at the helm.

Grade: F

Running Backs

Jackson and Lynch did nothing, and Spiller did less than nothing in his disappointing debut. The fact that few running plays were called didn't help, but even still no one in this group could break one and make a play all game. There is some talent in this group, but they didn't show it today.

Grade: D

Offensive Line

Terrible. One of the worst lines in the NFL. The tackle play was so horrific it's astounding that a team could even attempt to enter an NFL season with this kind of talent. I guess that's what happens when you go years on end without spending a high draft pick on a tackle, and let the one diamond in the rough you found go to another team.

Wide Receivers

No big plays, very little production. Hard to gauge since Trent refused to throw the ball most of the time. When Roscoe ran uncovered straight into the end zone, he at least caught the ball, so that's good I suppose.

Tight Ends

Did any tight ends even play in this game?

Cornerbacks

Surprisingly good play all the way around. Florence played like a man with something to prove, and even McKelvin (who I usually pick on) played very well. Kept Marshall in check throughout. Clearly the best unit on the field today for the Bills.

Grade: A

Safeties

No big plays really, and had to clean up the running game mess left by the linebackers on more than one occassion. Was hoping Byrd would get his name mentioned a single time. Not much to love or hate either way.

Grade: C

Linebackers

I knew they would be bad, but they are even worse than I could have imagined. Putting lineman like Kelsay and Ellis in space is painfully awkward to watch. No talent whatsoever. Big shocker that Poz was hurt.

Defensive Line

No one was a disruptive force, but no one was a clear and obvious liability. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no big plays, just a bunch of weak tackles downfield.

Special Teams

Moorman didn't punt particularly well, Roscoe had one decent return, no huge errors.

Coaching

Disastrous debut for Chan. Offense looked just as bad as ever, just using some different formations. Called twice as many passing plays as running plays, even though its obvious the RBs are much better than the QB.

Overall

The Bills certainly have the look and feel of one of the worst teams in the NFL. I'm sure the organization will stubbornly stick with Edwards and continue losing in embarassing fashion. Not much good going on with this team. They proved the experts right by showing just how bad they really are.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your grades were somewhat indicitive of how the game went, they wouldve blown us out. But it was only a 5 point loss. Please just stop with these "positional ranking" posts.

I really could careless how much we lost by. INHO, it felt like a 20 point loss. I never really felt like we were going to win the game. IMHO, it felt like we played not to win but not to lose by a lot.

I am ok with the breakdown in grades. I see nothing wrong with it.

Quarterbacks

Trent made some good throws during the no-huddle scoring drive. Outside of that, his play was a joke. All the things we disliked about Captain Checkdown returned, with the final seconds of the game serving as a perfect example of everything that is wrong with Edwards. Bench him now, the team will never be good with this guy at the helm.

Running Backs

Jackson and Lynch did nothing, and Spiller did less than nothing in his disappointing debut. The fact that few running plays were called didn't help, but even still no one in this group could break one and make a play all game. There is some talent in this group, but they didn't show it today.

Offensive Line

Terrible. One of the worst lines in the NFL. The tackle play was so horrific it's astounding that a team could even attempt to enter an NFL season with this kind of talent. I guess that's what happens when you go years on end without spending a high draft pick on a tackle, and let the one diamond in the rough you found go to another team.

Wide Receivers

No big plays, very little production. Hard to gauge since Trent refused to throw the ball most of the time. When Roscoe ran uncovered straight into the end zone, he at least caught the ball, so that's good I suppose.

Tight Ends

Cornerbacks

Surprisingly good play all the way around. Florence played like a man with something to prove, and even McKelvin (who I usually pick on) played very well. Kept Marshall in check throughout. Clearly the best unit on the field today for the Bills.

Safeties

No big plays really, and had to clean up the running game mess left by the linebackers on more than one occassion. Was hoping Byrd would get his name mentioned a single time. Not much to love or hate either way.

Linebackers

I knew they would be bad, but they are even worse than I could have imagined. Putting lineman like Kelsay and Ellis in space is painfully awkward to watch. No talent whatsoever. Big shocker that Poz was hurt.

Defensive Line

No one was a disruptive force, but no one was a clear and obvious liability. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no big plays, just a bunch of weak tackles downfield.

Special Teams

Moorman didn't punt particularly well, Roscoe had one decent return, no huge errors.

Coaching

Disastrous debut for Chan. Offense looked just as bad as ever, just using some different formations. Called twice as many passing plays as running plays, even though its obvious the RBs are much better than the QB.

Overall

The Bills certainly have the look and feel of one of the worst teams in the NFL. I'm sure the organization will stubbornly stick with Edwards and continue losing in embarassing fashion. Not much good going on with this team. They proved the experts right by showing just how bad they really are.

Poz absolutely sucks. The day London Fletcher last played for the Bills was the last time we put a true stud out on the field. We don't have any leaders on this team. As well as OL, QB, we still have a huge need at LB. This team will be years away from being competitive unless we build through free agency also. I don't know if that will happen in Ralph's remaining lifetime. Actually I do know, it won't.

If your grades were somewhat indicitive of how the game went, they wouldve blown us out. But it was only a 5 point loss. Please just stop with these "positional ranking" posts.

Yeah - Barker's a bit over the top.

No way that defense can be graded so low - and I totally don't understand anyone who has a problem with our D-line right now, they are plenty good for a 3-4 DL.

We're two LB's short of a good unit. BUT Ellis looked damned good on his sack, as did Poz. Kelsay is a mess - if they're playing a 3-4 he needs to be let go.

Overall the defense played pretty well - holding Marshall down and keeping Brown/Williams under some control.

Even with our offense doing nothing the Dolphins O' only got 13. A team that does that is not the worst team in the league by far - sorry - look around at the box scores.

WAS 13 DAL 7; NO 14 MIN 9; TB 17 CLE 14; PIT 15 ATL 9; CHI 19 DET 14; ARI 17 STL 13

Yeah - crazy as it sounds, our offense outscored 4 other teams this week. Ew.

Is that you Dick Jauron? It's about the 5 point loss not how clueless most of your team looked? Did you happen to look at the pile of crap that the Bills were playing? Hardly the '85 Bears.

You have been "Jauronisized" my friend....

Is that you Dick Jauron? It's about the 5 point loss not how clueless most of your team looked? Did you happen to look at the pile of crap that the Bills were playing? Hardly the '85 Bears.

You have been "Jauronisized" my friend....

Yeuw. That sounds painful and un-hygenic

+1. I don't think the D was that bad considering they only allowed 13 points, and only 3 in the second half. You grade an "F" when you lose by 4 TDs or more.

PTR

I'm not over the top, I'm just being fair and realistic. The cornerbacks played a great game and I have them an "A" rating.

did you happen to take a gander at the 'diamond in the rough' tackle we found and traded for a pick that's turned into our best (arguably) lineman? go back and watch the philly game from yesterday and tell me that we would be any more successful offensively with that guy instead of someone who appears to actually want to play football??

If that wasn't an "F" game, I don't know what was.

Well, that Browns game from last year was worse. But I think there can be room for multiple "F" performances.

Corners did play great - they are truly the strength of this team. Even though Whitner didn't make any great plays, he has at least embraced a desire to hit hard and finish tackles. D-Line was marginal, not an F, but hard to grade them at much better than a D. Linebackers are a full out trainwreck. Watching Chris Kelsay have to cover people and play in space makes me want to kick a puppy. Trent was as bad as I've ever seen, and he's been very bad for a very long time. Dolphins corners have both hands on two sure fire interceptions-for-touchdown and drop them. That'd make even the last couple Trent fanboys see the light. O-Line fail. Running back fail.

F.

Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Offensive Line

Wide Receivers

Tight Ends

Cornerbacks

Safeties

Linebackers

Defensive Line

Special Teams

Coaching

Overall

This appraisal gets an F-. Why not just go be a Pats fan or something...