Dal/Wash/NO, and Minn Offense was bad as well

buffalopdc

It is week one and I am about finished watching Sunday Night Football and saw a ton of crappy play. The teams above played on par with the Bills and put up similiar points. I admit a little more entertaining but they struggled. They are all still contenders according to the talking heads, Dallas is Super Bowl bound and Washing has the wonderful Shanahan. Point is we were not going 16-0 and everyone knew that. I look for improvement and believe I saw that as the game went on. Second half asjustments were better and our coach at least coached. Also, say what you will about Trent today, he sucked mightily, but I did see an improvment in his leadership on the field and on the sideline. Also we played diciplined football for the most part. I cannot remember our team taking so few penalties. I think he will continue to improve and the year will get better. The more we see the 3-4 or the "thirtyfour" as Collinsworth calls it, the better we should get at it. Plus we are finally letting our offense see it in practice.

Other thoughts on the week in review?

It is week one and I am about finished watching Sunday Night Football and saw a ton of crappy play. The teams above played on par with the Bills and put up similiar points. I admit a little more entertaining but they struggled. They are all still contenders according to the talking heads, Dallas is Super Bowl bound and Washing has the wonderful Shanahan. Point is we were not going 16-0 and everyone knew that. I look for improvement and believe I saw that as the game went on. Second half asjustments were better and our coach at least coached. Also, say what you will about Trent today, he sucked mightily, but I did see an improvment in his leadership on the field and on the sideline. Also we played diciplined football for the most part. I cannot remember our team taking so few penalties. I think he will continue to improve and the year will get better. The more we see the 3-4 or the "thirtyfour" as Collinsworth calls it, the better we should get at it. Plus we are finally letting our offense see it in practice.

Right... :thumbdown:

Total Yards:

NO: 308

MIN: 253

DAL: 380

WSH: 250

BUF: 166

Yeah, those offenses were totally close to each other.

Yardage is interesting, but not really the bottom line. How about looking at points scored:

Dallas 7

SF 6 (against Seattle?)

Atlanta 9

Bart Favre 9 (admittedly against the reigning champs)

Or maybe, points against is more up your alley:

SF allowed 31 points (to Seattle?)

Oakland allowed 38 points

Denver allowed 24 points to freakin' Jacksonville

Colts allowed 34 points

Cincy allowed 38 points (admittedly to high scoring NE Cheats)

I don't think anyone should be saying the Bills were good. They stunk. But I think I'll hold off on the "worst team in football"/doomed talk for a while.

Total Yards:

Yeah, three of those teams made the playoffs last year (one won the Super Bowl), so they have the history to believe that they'll work things out.

Washington won a hard-fought divisional game after winning 4 games last season under a new coach with a couple of Super Bowls on his resume.

The Bills offense has spent the last six or seven years ranked in the bottom third of the league.

So, yeah, Buffalo has nothing to worry about.

I really like your optimism and how you point out that other offenses struggled as well. The lack of penalty was a plus. But, I just dont understand the lack of runninng in the beginning of the game. i mean we really didnt even try to run to begiun with. I feel like that was the difference between teams today. Henne is no better than Trent, maybe worse. I still billieve we will get it together.

You can't compare the Buffalo Bills who have not made the playoffs in what 10 years straight to 3 (I don't consider Washington elite yet) teams that are elite or have potential of being elite.

If you compare those teams everyone has a proven quarterback (minus romo). They also have players that fit within a scheme unlike the Buffalo Bills and the new 3-4.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Total Yards:

LOL. Plus the Bills got a large meaningless chunk at the end of the first half, and that TD drive was against prevent D. When the Dolphins flipped the switch back on it was over. I think I saw somewhere that after the TD the Bills had -5 yards!

I really like your optimism and how you point out that other offenses struggled as well. The lack of penalty was a plus. But, I just dont understand the lack of runninng in the beginning of the game. i mean we really didnt even try to run to begiun with. I feel like that was the difference between teams today. Henne is no better than Trent, maybe worse. I still billieve we will get it together.

Did you watch? The Dolphins stuffed the !@#$ out of the run game, right from the beginning. The only time the Bills really move the ball well consistently was against prevent D and it took a blown assignment to score a TD.

Yardage is interesting, but not really the bottom line. How about looking at points scored:

Dallas 7

SF 6 (against Seattle?)

Atlanta 9

Colts allowed 34 points

I don't think anyone should be saying the Bills were good. They stunk. But I think I'll hold off on the "worst team in football"/doomed talk for a while.

There's a big difference between not scoring a bunch while moving the ball, and not scoring a bunch AND not moving the ball.

Check this out:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Dead last, against a Dolphins team that ranked 22nd in yards allowed last year. Dead last in 1st downs this week as well, with 9. Single digit first downs, only team in the NFL to pull that off. 21% on 3rd down, 33% on 4th down.

Oh, and the worst time of possession in the entire league.

I subscribe to the theory that you're never as bad as the worst you look, and never as good as the best you look, but man, this was just a horrible offensive showing. To be comparing them to those offenses is night and day at the moment.

There's a big difference between not scoring a bunch while moving the ball, and not scoring a bunch AND not moving the ball.

Actually, when they tally up Ws and Ls, there really isn't a difference at all, especially if your opponent isn't scoring either.

Check this out:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Dead last, against a Dolphins team that ranked 22nd in yards allowed last year. Dead last in 1st downs this week as well, with 9. Single digit first downs, only team in the NFL to pull that off. 21% on 3rd down, 33% on 4th down.

I subscribe to the theory that you're never as bad as the worst you look, and never as good as the best you look, but man, this was just a horrible offensive showing. To be comparing them to those offenses is night and day at the moment.

wow...3 for 14 on 3rd downs.......thats bad.

Dallas 7

SF 6 (against Seattle?)

Atlanta 9

Colts allowed 34 points

My point exactly, 1/2 of the teams this week will lose.

Check this out:

Ding ding.

The offense is ****. Chan, Trent, CJ, Freddie, Marshawn, Lee, the OL, none of our players could do anything resembling respectable. The defense did OK, but not good enough to make up for our complete lack of offense. If this team wins a single game this year, I'll be surprised.

They looked promising in the pre-season, but it's clear that that was all fluke and this is reality.

:bag:

Don't forget, Miami dropped two gift wrapped pick-6's and also had an underthrown and dropped TD pass to Marshall. That's 14-21 points right there. Other opponents won't drop those. The D played pretty stout but overall they should have lost by a lot more. We were by far the most inept offense of the day. Half the yardage came on ONE drive. We had 10 other drives that netted like 75 yards...at HOME. Awful

Dallas 7

SF 6 (against Seattle?)

Atlanta 9

Colts allowed 34 points

+1 :thumbsup:

After the Redskins preseason game, I thought "oh, brother, it's gonna be a long pre-season much less season"

But they pulled it together the next week

Let's wait and see

I'm actually kind of glad they lost, but not in a blow-out. I think if they won, the players might get a little cocky.

Sometimes to listen to the coaches on the level of preparation needed, they need to get their attention.

The D played better than I expected. I thought every game would have to be a score-fest by us to be close.

Holding the Phins to 13 points when they were on the field 2/3 of the game, holding them scoreless 1 quarter is less shaggy than I thought.

Now if they could get the ball back to the O more often, that would be helpful.

It's harder to make adjustments and try different things when your opponents convert nearly half of their 3rd downs and have the ball 50% more time.

Amazing after the first game almost everyone is throwing in the towel. I think most on here need to find a new team or get back on the med's. There is no way this team is going to the playoffs, but with that being said all I really want to see is continued progress through out the season. You really can't evaluate a team after just one game!!! I know "Trent sucks and it's deja vu all over again", but lets give it sometime to develop and not worry about wins and losses at this point. Here's to bright future for the Bills in the years to come! :beer:

Dallas 7

SF 6 (against Seattle?)

Atlanta 9

Colts allowed 34 points

You can take comfort in all of that only if you are willing to completely ignore that Minn, NO and Dallas, etc. are high powered offenses that had a bad day.

Otherwise, it's a meaningless sop.

I agree for the most part except, I think the play calling was off. There were repeated attempts to run screens to the outside, usually resulting in negative yardage. When something doesn't work, try something else. We also kept trying to run to the outside unsuccessfully. This is an area where Miami was week last year and have had a year to improve on these things. We were successful with Wild Cat, runs up the middle and hurry up offense. The were things we have done in the preseason that were never even tried. My opinion is that our adjustments came too late in the game to do any good.

As for Trent, I think he did a pretty good job of getting rid of the ball before taking a sack. The line did not hold up well.