Mike and Mike....for real? worst team ever seen?

PJBrown

Big time corporate sports radio is less about actual analysis and more about riling people up and getting them talking. Mike and Mike's advertisers and producers are much happier if you're pissed off and talking about them instead of quietly agreeing or saying "meh."

The game is won and lost on the field. The rest is BS. There's football this weekend, friends. Let's all crack open a cold one, eat something unhealthy and enjoy.

I was just thinking along the same lines. Also thinking, not so much a conspiracy theory but along those lines, that to make the Bills relevant this year they have to be the worst team in the media's eye. We're certainly not the best, and we really shouldn't be in the playoff conversation nationally, though from a fan perspective it wouldn't totally surprise me if we made it. So how do you keep a rabid fanbase (and we're pretty widely recognized as a rabid fanbase) interested in the conversation? Insult them... repeatedly... to the point that any rational person could see it was a joke. The pundits realize that, truth be told, fans aren't rational. Insulting a true fan's team is like insulting their family, and they're forced by instinct to defend them. ESPN, NFL network, radio shows, etc are only serving their purpose if they have an audience, and as Howard Stern proved in the nineties, more people will tune in if they're pissed than if they agree with what's being said.

Either that or they truly ARE complete flaming idiots.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who really gives a warm crap what these media (or media-ish in the case of M&M) say? I stopped listening to them years ago.

I'm just happy football season is back-- it was a long offseason. I'm not expecting much from the Bills but I really don't need some jack-off pundit at ESPN to tell me that.

I was watching, Mike and Mike were not giving their own opinion. They said something to the tune of, one of our insiders, and he probably won't want this quote attributed to him, said that Buffalo is the worst team he's ever seen. They were quoting one of their "people who know things", not giving their own opinion.

I was watching, Mike and Mike were not giving their own opinion. They said something to the tune of, one of our insiders, and he probably won't want this quote attributed to him, said that Buffalo is the worst team he's ever seen. They were quoting one of their "people who know things", not giving their own opinion.

Which is completely absurd since Buffalo beat Miami 31-14 late last season. The two teams have not changed THAT MUCH. I'd argue that the Bills have gotten slightly better. (although i admit concern since Fitz won that Miami game. I can't remember when Trent has shown me he can win a regular season game- or even look good)

5 Huge question marks on front 7? who? dwan edwards is the most solid, and i think Poz and Adra Davis are both solid if not great in the middle. not question marks. NT maybe, but i think KW and TT will also be fine... not Jenkins' like run stuffers, but hold their own on most plays. even Stroud should be okay. the only huge ?'s should be the OLBs, Kelsay/Maybin and Torbor.

but anyways, do you think these "outsiders looking in" even look that far? i doubt it. we have no pro-bowlers, and we didn't draft a new QB like we were "supposed to", thus we suck worse than last year. ridiculous logic, but that's how these experts think.

The irony to the QB statement is that if we draft Claussen and he was starting, we would be getting more respect with a rookie at QB...it's all about doing what they think you should do vs. what may be best for the team.

Edited by Vinny4sum

I heard M&M say it this morning, I think it was Greene.

I don't expect the Bills to be very good, but to say "worst team ever" is pretty ridiculous.

Greenberg didn't say that. He said that "one of their football collegues said that the Bills may be the worst football team they ever seen"

Actually, I think Mike & Mike are probably the only good thing about ESPN radio.

That said, Bills 27, Dolphins 13

The team's not much different than last season, and we still won 6 games.

We have 20 less people on IR right now, so that has to count for something.

We're hardly the worst in the league, let alone the worst ever.

+ 1......and I think I have uttered those same words about 20x to friends/family

Big time corporate sports radio is less about actual analysis and more about riling people up and getting them talking. Mike and Mike's advertisers and producers are much happier if you're pissed off and talking about them instead of quietly agreeing or saying "meh."

The game is won and lost on the field. The rest is BS. There's football this weekend, friends. Let's all crack open a cold one, eat something unhealthy and enjoy.

Thank you, I'm glad somebody gets it. M&M did exactly what they set out to do --- rile people up, which will make people more likely to listen tomorrow to see if they say something else outrageous.

Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, etc., etc., etc. Say anything to get people talking. The format works no matter what the subject matter.

Edited by KD in CT

I heard M&M say it this morning, I think it was Greene.

I don't expect the Bills to be very good, but to say "worst team ever" is pretty ridiculous.

Green is a biased Jets fan, so whatever. However, the Bills are 3 or 4 key injuries away from being 2 - 14. Billieve it. The team is too thin in terms of talent (disasterous dropoff from 1st teamers) If this team gets 3 or 4 key injuries (O Line, D Line, WR), forget about it. Nightmare city. And you know it will happen, happens to almost every team in the NFL.

The NFL is a very watered down league and the difference between the bottom 26 teams is very marginal. These two guys are douches. Always have been, always will be. I'm shocked that they somehow STILL have listeners.

The Bills could very well be in the hunt for the wildcard if they get some decent play from Edwards because we all know that there's an excellent chance Spiller's the real deal. I'm almost expecting the upset against the Dolphins.

FYI, I just heard Mike Franscessa (WFAN, NYC) say that the Bucs, Rams and Bills will be fighting it out for the worst team in the league. I love to hear these "worst team" proclamations. Jauron's gone and we've got CJ Spiller, in my view we've at least got a chance to do something good this year.

On a side note (sort of related), I agree with 1billsfan in that I don't understand M&M's appeal. I like Francesa regardless of his perceived bias or what he says about the Bills. But M&M literally cascade one cliff-hanger into the next without ever really touching on the subjects they tailed off on previously. They seriously get through every day saying only a few things that would actually classify as sports talk or even talk radio, and the rest is advertisements and questions that never get answered. It's a very frustrating program to try to listen to.

FYI, I just heard Mike Franscessa (WFAN, NYC) say that the Bucs, Rams and Bills will be fighting it out for the worst team in the league.

According to the Vegas over/under, he is correct:

Bucs 5.5

Rams 5.5

Bills 5.5

Browns 5.5

Lions 5.5

But Vegas throws in the Browns and the Lions for good measure.

Two separate shows on NFL Sirius Radio have called the Bills the single most outmatched team in the National Football League.

Basically in order to exceed expectations this year, we only have to win 3 games. No pressure, anyway.

My take:

There are a lot of people that really, really, really do not like our QB situation nor do they think our tackles have gotten significantly better. Edwards may surprise this season, but he's held in very low esteem by people around the league. (They can and should discount to some degree what he did in pre-season against vanilla defenses and take a wait-and-see attitude. Although the offense doesn't look like a fustercluck like it did under Schonert/Van Pelt, Edwards has not figured it out until proven otherwise.) The bookends at OT were not improved (they may actually be worse without Butler) and with a brittle QB like Edwards that's not a good thing at all. The Bills aren't getting any respect in general because people have watched them in past years and can't understand how big blaring weaknesses, painted in orange, decked with flashing lights, were not really addressed this off-season. The fans are going to say these holes will be filled by coaching, and they may be right, but the talking heads are looking at the players and still see the same voids.

How many times do I have to repeat this.

Buffalo is a small market team, easy to bash because you only offend a couple hundred thousand.

You never hear these guys bash the big market teams because its all about viewership and commercial time.

Same goes for highlights and post game interviews, the Bills get nothing more then a short clip.

The worst team they've ever seen in the NFL or the worst Bills team they've ever seen? Either way it's a stupid opinion, but if they're saying the worst in NFL history then it just brings it to a whole new level of stupidity.

Gpood point...this team at its worst could never even come close to being the worst buffalo team ever. Vern Bullogh's team...Kay Stephenson's teams...Now those were bad football teams. We get nine wins...and I'll bet all those media types will jump right onto the Bills bandwagon.