Kawika out for Sunday

tbonestake

We should be concerned, but less about Kawika's injury and more about the overall state of the defense. They have not looked good and having Torbor and Mitchell on the sidelines isn't gonna help. Let's cross our fingers that there actually are blitz packages that they didn't show in the pre-season, cause Henne needs to get Turf burn in a big way.

From the sounds of it......it looks like Kawika could be out a while. Chan's body language didn't look too inspriring when he was asked about Mitchell's prognosis, and when asked if it was a long term injury he didn't close the door on that. My guy feeling is he will end up IR'ed. They don't have room on this roster to wait for K. Mitchell, even if it's a 6-8 week injury, IMO. Mitchell can't seem to stay healthy, too bad. Another John Guy prize, it appears.

Mitchell is a primary depth guy if he is out for a game or two its not a big deal BUT if he is out for a long time its a concern. We need Mitchell to be a great depth guy as he is able to play OLB and MLB at an effective level which is a good value to have for a backup. All in all if its a short term thing its no big deal.

But if its long term I think our D just got a lot thinner. Torbor and Mitchell are keys to providing depth to this team. If its long term I would love to see Akin Ayodle singed to this team as we could use a real MLB backup.

Edited by billsfan89

Where did you see that? Everything I read says Uncertain.

Gailey was optimistic starting safety Jairus Byrd will play after missing nearly a month after having groin surgery. "He was out there and moved around really well today at practice. It's an improvement over yesterday," Gailey said.

Byrd earned a Pro Bowl selection as a rookie last year after finishing tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions.

I take the optimism as meaning he is going to play but I am optimistic by nature...who knows until Sunday though

The article doesnt say he's out for sunday's game...........

Coach Chan Gailey declined to say which foot Mitchell injured, or to release details except to say he was hurt in practice a day earlier and is "doubtful" to play. Mitchell was having tests to determine what Gailey called a "short-term and long-term" prognosis, an indication the injury could be severe.

I suppose I busted out the old 'Jump to Conclusions' Mat a little prematurely but 'doubtful' at this point in the week is usually a pretty solid indication that he is not going to play.

Edited by tbonestake

His best play was a Rivers pick in the EZ with a 36 yard return to ice the Chargers game 2 years ago. Great play, and I happened to be right there in that end zone.

(I got his jersey cheap because he changed his number.) I'll still wear it... my other is a Bledsoe.