Stadium Wall vs Buffalo News/

Webster Guy

In saying that there's something that writers need to understand, and I hope I can give some perspective. There's something about Bills fans, not that they are unique from other Cities fan bases, but there is a personal attachment to the team by its fans. When a writer, in any forum articulates something dissident about the fan bases team, by definition it's charged. In fact a writer's objective is to invoke emotion. There's no doubt that the writer of the article mentioned in this post was to incite emotional responses. Intentional or unintentional, in this thread John Wawrow's responses to me had the same sediment. If you look closely it's like baiting. AGREED I'll admit he won, DISAGREED he poked fun at me and the team I've loved since I was a child and it got the better of me DISAGREED. But let's not just dismiss his participation, and for that matter the writer's involvement when they induce emotion from the fans. AGREED As I mentioned, after all it is their intent.

I'd also like to respond about another issue. And that's the disrespectful way new posters or you might say lower posting total folks are treated. AGREED I assure you for every Lori that stops posting here, there's a hundred new people with less than 200 posts that stop visiting. Please Lori don't take that as I'm referring to you in any way, just using you as a recent example of a veteran mentioning not posting as much.

Heck I do it too, you start reading a post and you skim down and begin to read, there's a subconscious thing that occurs. You find yourself dismissing low post totals and start looking for the folks you've come accustom to. SOME PROBABLY DO. I IGNORE MOST POSTERS WHO HAVE A HIGH POST COUNT (ALONG WITH THE POSTERS WHO KISS THEIR ASSES). Then if someone with low totals even remotely says anything resembling negativity or controversy, you say to yourself "he's gonna get killed for that". TRUE But it's somewhat dismissed for the veteran's, ALONG WITH MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA. They often come to each others defense. AGAIN, TRUE So what happens is the low total posters are automatically tagged as stupid, troll, ruining the board, etc. So they leave or worse stop posting. How is that good? Why aren't we more outraged by this issue than we are about veterans threatening to leave.

I'll submit one last thought. Just because you have over 1000, 2000, 5000, or 10000 posts doesn't by default make you a smarter or more devoted Bills fan. TRUE Nor does it make you a better person. Nor does it give you the right to disrespect the lower post total contributors. It could just mean that you found this site sooner and you post a lot. It's also not alright for writers to treat these folks with utter disrespect. There's little doubt that we've lost hundreds of people that would have otherwise been excellent contributors. TRUE If we continue on this road the veterans will have nothing but themselves and the true ignoramus's, because they will drive away the people they've labeled as such. I can say with almost certainty that if you replaced my name with say "The Dean" in my debate with John Wawrow, there would be an entire different tone to his speech. TRUE, EVEN THOUGH "THE DEAN" IS ONE OF THE POSTERS WITH A HIGH POST COUNT, WHOSE POSTS I ACTUALLY READ. The comfort level that veterans have in disparaging posters not like them is as big of an issue as any other.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Sports media seems like a bit of a fraternity that I don't particularly understand, and one of the unfortunate and limiting things about Western New York is the closed way in which its creative media community seems to operate, and the way in which they seem to operate with some weird, insecure degree of self-absorption.

I've mentioned in this thread too that I think posters are too vitriolic here, but I've been involved in similar creative communities in multiple bigger, better cities and I have never once witnessed the sort of ridiculous smallness that I witness when it comes to people who are blessed with recognition or even paying jobs in sports media like I have in Buffalo.

I understand the desire to be frustrated with unfair and malicious posting, dumb callers on the radio, and so on, but the inability to rise above that as professionals or quasi-professionals of some sort is a staggering statement on Buffalo and one of the many reasons creative, talented people leave in droves.

The "club" of entitled media people in WNY are every bit as much a reason for it as the listeners/readers/posters. They're forcing themselves to disappear up their own !@#$, so to speak.

Edited by wardigital

Exactly. Which is what you're doing and why you're losing the argument. See how this works? ;)

I sure do. And that's why people stop visiting the board, and is one of the main contributors as to why there is a lot of decent on the board. I'm not loosing the argument, because you're proving my point regardless if you agree or not. One of the contributing factors to why veteran posters are wanting to leave, is because they're fellow veterans are inducing discord. But the newer members are taking the lions share of the blame. The one thing we agree on is you completely understand what your doing and are proud of it, hence you are contributing to making the board less than what it could be.

I sure do. And that's why people stop visiting the board, and is one of the main contributors as to why there is a lot of decent on the board. I'm not loosing the argument, because you're proving my point regardless if you agree or not. One of the contributing factors to why veteran posters are wanting to leave, is because they're fellow veterans are inducing discord. But the newer members are taking the lions share of the blame. The one thing we agree on is you completely understand what your doing and are proud of it, hence you are contributing to making the board less than what it could be.

I've been coming here for over ten years. It's always been the same. A huge part of its attraction has always been the sarcasm and caustic remarks by both grizzled veterans and green newbies. That's what makes this place different, stand out, and much better than any one I have visited and I've visited them all. This place is hysterical, especially when it's hysterical.

Some people got sick of the board and left. That happens everywhere. The only difference, to me anyway, is that since the Bills have sucked so long, people are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. So what? Fans at the Ralph are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Fans in Bills Backers bars across the country are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Fans in bars in Buffalo watching the games are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Fans in most living rooms watching the games that don't know a thing about this or other messages boards are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Who cares? If it bothers you, leave.

And there are always a requisite number of myopic homers that still cling to eternal optimism and will never bash the Bills. They still exist but they are smaller in number because a significant portion of them have become a little more bitter and shorter of fuse.

I don't know the numbers but this place probably has more traffic than ever. Or at least has kept up its numbers. And this is with Sublime Sucktitude for a decade. Imagine if we were winning? Suddenly, it wouldn't be so caustic and nasty, would it? Funny how that is.

Message boards by their nature are caustic and nasty, but this has nothing to do with the Bills or whether or not they're any good. The Patriots have had a deep tissue massage by the league for a decade and their boards are still also pretty caustic and nasty. I think this speaks more to internet mentality and the temperament of football fans in general than Bills fans.

And people come and go from message boards because they find other things to do. Anyone who wants to be here enough will be here. People are going to be mean. As I've mentioned, people have been, for no reason, mean to me. But so what? There is no need to take it personally.

Guest dog14787

I've been coming here for over ten years. It's always been the same. A huge part of its attraction has always been the sarcasm and caustic remarks by both grizzled veterans and green newbies. That's what makes this place different, stand out, and much better than any one I have visited and I've visited them all. This place is hysterical, especially when it's hysterical.

Some people got sick of the board and left. That happens everywhere. The only difference, to me anyway, is that since the Bills have sucked so long, people are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. So what? Fans at the Ralph are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Fans in Bills Backers bars across the country are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Fans in bars in Buffalo watching the games are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Fans in most living rooms watching the games that don't know a thing about this or other messages boards are a little more bitter and have shorter fuses. Who cares? If it bothers you, leave.

And there are always a requisite number of myopic homers that still cling to eternal optimism and will never bash the Bills. They still exist but they are smaller in number because a significant portion of them have become a little more bitter and shorter of fuse.

I don't know the numbers but this place probably has more traffic than ever. Or at least has kept up its numbers. And this is with Sublime Sucktitude for a decade. Imagine if we were winning? Suddenly, it wouldn't be so caustic and nasty, would it? Funny how that is.

Isn't that the truth, it sure helps when we give jw, Tim and Lori something good to write about, and its also perfectly understandable after a decade of losing folks kinda get tired of reading about it,

but don't blame the messenger...

Edited by dog14787

Message boards by their nature are caustic and nasty, but this has nothing to do with the Bills or whether or not they're any good. The Patriots have had a deep tissue massage by the league for a decade and their boards are still also pretty caustic and nasty. I think this speaks more to internet mentality and the temperament of football fans in general than Bills fans.

And people come and go from message boards because they find other things to do. Anyone who wants to be here enough will be here. People are going to be mean. As I've mentioned, people have been, for no reason, mean to me. But so what? There is no need to take it personally.

You may be right. I find this place nastier, wittier, and much funnier and more clever in its smearing than any other board. Again, it's part of its attraction. There is some quality vitriol. ;) If people can't keep up, it's obvious.

I agree with you about people coming and going. And I agree that all message boards are nasty and caustic. I was referring to my perception of this place being good at it, for the most part. Granted, that may still be only 10% of the population, but it's all relative. The nastiness and sniping on, say, the bills.com board is unbearable.

The Buffalo Sports media seems like a bit of a fraternity that I don't particularly understand, and one of the unfortunate and limiting things about Western New York is the closed way in which its creative media community seems to operate, and the way in which they seem to operate with some weird, insecure degree of self-absorption.

I've mentioned in this thread too that I think posters are too vitriolic here, but I've been involved in similar creative communities in multiple bigger, better cities and I have never once witnessed the sort of ridiculous smallness that I witness when it comes to people who are blessed with recognition or even paying jobs in sports media like I have in Buffalo.

I understand the desire to be frustrated with unfair and malicious posting, dumb callers on the radio, and so on, but the inability to rise above that as professionals or quasi-professionals of some sort is a staggering statement on Buffalo and one of the many reasons creative, talented people leave in droves.

The "club" of entitled media people in WNY are every bit as much a reason for it as the listeners/readers/posters. They're forcing themselves to disappear up their own !@#$, so to speak.

Although I think you're probably overstating the fraternal nature of the Buffalo media, you need to post more.

You may be right. I find this place nastier, wittier, and much funnier and more clever in its smearing than any other board. Again, it's part of its attraction. There is some quality vitriol. ;) If people can't keep up, it's obvious.

... sez the guy who's afraid to visit PPP ...

... sez the guy who's afraid to visit PPP ...

Didn't get sick of PPP as much as I got sick of watching and following politics for awhile and took a break from it. They aren't clever or witty in their nastiness and smearing in Washington, state or local capitals, or on PPP. They're just selfish jerks who don't listen, think, or even believe what they say half the time.

Didn't get sick of PPP as much as I got sick of watching and following politics for awhile and took a break from it. They aren't clever or witty in their nastiness and smearing in Washington, state or local capitals, or on PPP.

Clubbing seals never gets old.

They're just selfish jerks who don't listen, think, or even believe what they say half the time.

And that's why you should entrust more of your life to them.

None of the living room, Bills Backer bar, fans at the Ralph things you mention are examples of fans disrespecting each other. One fan isn't telling the other to proverbial "carry his shoulder pads", because he's had a tail gate spot longer, or that's his spot on the couch. I'm not sure I understand the analogy. Unless you're trying to say you treat newbies badly because you have a shorter fuse due to the Bills not winning.

As your post stands alone, I agree with everything you've said.

I can't take how lame and negative some of these hack articles are that come from the Buffalo News. I was literally laughing out loud by myself at this latest article by Mike Harrington that talks about how Miami is just another team and there is no rivalry anymore, and that "The Bills are completely irrelevant so they can't even have a rival"

At first he starts with this line, taken from the Jerry Sullivan School of Gloom: "It's Miami Week. Squish the Fish, right? Are you pumped? Didn't think so."

Oh you didn't think so? Why because YOU'RE not pumped for the home opener against Miami you lame-o? Wanna ask my kids or my friends that have been talking about this Sunday for months? I personally cannot wait for this game to start and its killing me that it's only Wednesday right now.

You're not pumped to watch our new guys play their first real home game in Buffalo. Not pumped to see Spiller and the new plays Gailey has in store for Miami that nobody has even seen yet? You shouldn't have a job in sports if you aren't Christmas-morning excited for this game.

So speak for yourself Harrington, maybe next time just say that you're not pumped, but don't speak for me or the sold out stadium thank you.

I swear I would take the top ten posters on this board over every one of these hack writers (except Wilson).

Here's the kicker: he goes on to write: "Fans can't hate the Dolphins anymore. Who's the quarterback? Who's the coach? You barely know."

Really? I barely know? Wait you mean YOU barely know. I follow the AFC East because I'm a Bills fan, you obviously don't. I watched them go from 1-15 in 2007 to division champs at 11-5 the following year. Didn't you? Sorry dude but not only are you stretching a weak point, why don't you bring up game-relevant stuff like this:

Dolphins left tackle Jake Long has hurt knee and linebacker Channing Crowder are both serious Miami contributors that are hurt right now.

Cornerback Vontae Davis also has a hurt ankle, Will Allen got placed on IR for the SEASON. So that means CB jason Allen is going to start against Buffalo. I wonder how that might affect the gameplan for us? What about Ronnie Brown is he 100% from that surgery? That would be nice to know.

Stop writing weak off season 6th grade articles five days before the home opener please and use your locker room badge to dig a little deeper.

I've said this before here, but Warren Buffet has said that he would close down the Buffalo News because it's not profitable, but that he's keeping it alive simply because he thinks it's a valuable community asset. I disagree.

The STADIUM WALL is an asset baby! Warren send us some cash for a TaILgaTe PaRtY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, let's review, before this thing goes a way off topic.

i found this original post (above) meaningless, obtuse and off the mark, and another indication (and note the first time this poster's done it) of how easy it is to kneejerk a banal reaction in regards to the media.

somehow, Mike Harrington's column, is irrelevant or poorly written because, well, why? the Dolphins-Bills rivalry remains vibrant? puh-leaze. pass the baloney. it's a rivalry in division only, and holds very little of the hot water it did a long long time ago.

and then this whole thing segues into another tangent, with someone suggesting the Dolphins are the joke team of the AFC East.

i happened to disagree with that, and was in time called "an angry little man," and someone who's jumped on some Bills-bashing bandwagon.

oh, i see how i'm wrong. :blink:

jw

*sigh* John, I admire you and Lori for sticking up for your friends and colleagues

Writing as objectively as I can, I think a point you both are missing is that the original article referred to both generalized and personalized -- lots of references to "you" (plural) in a negative way - not pumped, don't know basic stuff about Miami like coach and QB.

It makes for a livelier and more entertaining style of writing, but fans who are pumped and who can probably name 2/3 of the starting MIA lineup and could tell you the coach and QB if woken out of a sound sleep at 3 am understandably take it amiss.

So who personalized first? The writer, or the fans on the board?

The trashing isn't "for trashing's sake", it's in response to a certain style of journalism, personalized towards the reader and short on facts.

Is there really such a huge gulf between saying "the writer is a moron" and saying "that's a moronic opinion expressed in a factless article" or something like that?

Would you and Lori really like the latter any better? The latter seems to fit the "attack the article, not the writer" criteria Lori expressed. I kinda see it as a distinction without a difference myself.

From where I sit, the core issue looks like it's OK w/ you for writers to call out the fans personally (you aren't pumped, you don't know basic info on the so-called rivals) and to really trash the team (irrelevant). But not OK for fans to respond personally (you're a moron). It doesn't sit well with your skin -- understood, sorry you feel that way. As one female Bills fan to another, I was sorry to see Lori go, but really, the only person whose behavior we can control is ourselves. We can try to set a good example, or we can leave, continued meta-discussion of forum behavior strikes me as pointless.

Once upon a time, I used to have Buff News mailed to me so I could get decent facts and coverage of my team.

When the News articles degraded to little more depth, substance, or quality than the national press, I stopped.

I look at what's on the web nowadays, but I did vote with my feet (and my cash) on the quality.

respectfully, i don't think that was Mike's message at all -- or at least not the one i got from reading the piece that morning. i thought the point was the rivalry's not much of a rivalry any more and there was a time here when just about anyone could'a named the Dolphins starting QB, these days not so much. of course, people here know it's Henne. i'm curious how many others around town might know.

that bills fans took it personally is another matter and perhaps, a reflection on them?

jw

Well well..... don't leave ok John, I may not agree or like everything you say here but you are a valued member of the board, I know a lot of us would miss you just as we do Lori and TG (and even most recently Neversaydie67 who claimed to be a former player and has posted since) the board is only as good as it's members, so when we lose good ones the board suffers. A little bit of respect towards everyone's opinion (even when we disagree) goes a long way in this world.

There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued.

Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making.

John Milton (1608 - 1674)

Opinions are alike buttholes, we all have them.

an example of what i find wrong with this board.

and an example of what's right, how Ramius and KTFBD, took it upon it themselves to actually steer this into a sensible discussion.

jw

The primary measure for me is usage. If the Buffalo News is providing useful information or is at least entertaining I buy ans read it. If it is not useful or if there are better alternatives I do not.

Several years back my wife got tired of all the paper we had to recycle and advocated getting rid of the News. I finally relented as I felt more and more of the general stories were simply wire reports or simply so bad or repetitive they were not worth much $,

The main reason I gave in was my feeling I could see or replace the News with online sources. I committed to simply checking the BN each day.

The interesting thing was that of course I often for got to check the News and found that I did not miss it as I got the info elsewhere (ans often that the writing was simply bad or slanted to not be reporting but reading like a teenager keeping a journal.

The News has simply declined as a good information outlet and as the approach has descended from a Larry Felser style whom I might disagree with but respect his work to a Sully style which seems neither well researched or showing a good history of learning the game.

The News is going away as new alternatives are here and because the writing has declined.

I hate the dolphins more than any team in the league. Always have always will. Just looking at their stupid colors and mascot... I can't wait for Sunday. I couldn't even root for snowflake to be saved in Ace Ventura - that's how bad I hate the dolphins.

Good call on the Buffalo news - that's garbage.

A very large group of bills fans have pretty much had it with the Bills. They have been and are now run like a minor league baseball franchise and a very large group of loyal fans understand that now. But, they can't let go because, like me, this has been "my team" for whatever, 30-40years you grew up watching them, blah blah, and the interest will always be there, which just triples the pain. So, "hating the dolphins" is sort of stupid, when your team is not doing much to compete with them. The deck is stacked against the bills, and no amount of "dolphin hating" or "other team hating" is going to get us past the simple fact that the bills are a backwater franchise in a league that has largely passed it by and largely made it irrelevant.

A very large group of bills fans have pretty much had it with the Bills. They have been and are now run like a minor league baseball franchise and a very large group of loyal fans understand that now. But, they can't let go because, like me, this has been "my team" for whatever, 30-40years you grew up watching them, blah blah, and the interest will always be there, which just triples the pain. So, "hating the dolphins" is sort of stupid, when your team is not doing much to compete with them. The deck is stacked against the bills, and no amount of "dolphin hating" or "other team hating" is going to get us past the simple fact that the bills are a backwater franchise in a league that has largely passed it by and largely made it irrelevant.

How pessimistic can you be? We have a new GM and a new HC who are on the same page and who both actually want to win and are doing what they can to do so. Granted, they can't do it over night and it will take a few seasons to build the team they are looking for. I can understand the pessimism from the last 10 years of futility, but why do you expect it from this new regime when you haven't even given them one regular season game to show what can be done?

Even your name, 8and8Forever just exudes pessimism. You might as well be 1and15Forever. You will probably give a standard issue statement such as "well they haven't shown anything yet". Well why not give them the opportunity to show something before bellowing all your gloom and doom.

If Jauron was still in place I could understand your sentiments, but this isn't Jauron ball anymore. This is the complete other extreme of the spectrum. Give Gailey a chance before spewing your pessimism.

Fair enough?

The people who have "had it" are gone and will stay gone until the Bills have returned to winning. You just don't stick around something you have a great disdain for, just to be mad at it, especially for this long. You can still watch the Bills and think they're going to be bad. I do. I think they're a 6 or 7 win team. But I'm not mad about it.

This whole pessimism thing and being "fed up" or whatever and radio and newspaper guys barking at the organization like lives are being lost over the team's record is ridiculous and frightening to witness. It's just a mean spirited reaction to something these people love because they don't really know a more constructive way to deal with their frustration.

I am totally convinced that anyone who has "had it" but sticks around a football team... a voluntary thing, a hobby, is someone who is lying to themselves about their own insanity.

This isn't a marriage, you're free to go if you don't appreciate what having a football team, good or bad, means to the Buffalo community.

The Bills/Phins rivalry is dead except fans who watched in the 80s/90s. All Jets and Phins fans I run into say the Jets/Phins rivalry is the big one, the Bills aren't even considered as they've been a non factor for 10 years.

I'm tired of fans criticizing columnists for writing negative articles on the Bills. They've sucked for 10 years, and deserve to have doom and gloom articles written about them. The only way that's going to change is if they win.

Guest dog14787

Best of luck in your future endeavors.....

Its true, awhile back when Tim Graham brought up the Michael Vick situation with T.O. it sparked an uproar,

There's a reason Tim Graham is one of the best, because he knows a good story and I some cases will even help make a good story by assisting it along.

It was pretty awesome hearing the details from Tim himself right here on this board. :thumbsup:

Edited by dog14787

I always considered you level headed, you're sounding more and more like another Bills hating writer. Just bashing them at every chance you get whether it makes sense or not. You are awfully disappointing. I actually enjoyed the debate until I read this post. Now you're just being biased no matter the content, and you are proving my entire point to the board. Thumbs down man.

What ????? :blink:

Your sarcasm is a weak attempt at salvaging a weak argument. This response is nothing but rhetoric and you know it. Let me go real slow for you John, you obviously have issues with paying attention. I never once said that the Bills were an organization to emulate, never. I have very clearly only been comparing the Bills and the Dolphins. Who have been given a biased pass on being better than the Bills over the last decade. I'm submitting they're not.

Just because little Johnnie got his feelings hurt doesn't mean he should take things off on other tangents. Don't convolve the topic or start making fun of me personally just because you can't handle someone having a different opinion than you. You're an angry little guy, there's nothing wrong with having a debate and not taking it so personal. And for a little while we were having a good debate.

Ya know what? I know John personally and he is not only an excellent writer....he is a wonderful person. He's not an "angry little guy", but after reading these posts I am becoming an "angry old woman", therefore, I am going to shut up....because you really don't wanna hear what I'd really like to say. :angry:

To Lori: It's clearly evident to me now. See you Sunday.

Ya know what? I know John personally and he is not only an excellent writer....he is a wonderful person. He's not an "angry little guy", but after reading these posts I am becoming an "angry old woman", therefore, I am going to shut up....because you really don't wanna hear what I'd really like to say. :angry:

:unsure: I hope we don't those the other first lady of football around here too...... Talk about seeing a bunch of animals eating their own.... in case anyone forgot, it's the home opener tomorrow..... against the Dolphins....without Jauron....... Lets Friggen GO Buffalo!!!! Kickoff is literally just over 24 hours away....everyone should focus on how awesome that is!!!!

Edited by 5 Wide

in case anyone forgot, it's the home opener tomorrow..... against the Dolphins....without Jauron....... Lets Friggen GO Buffalo!!!! Kickoff is literally just over 24 hours away....everyone should focus on how awesome that is!!!!

but we're not supposed to be pumped up for the game, I thought?!?!

:oops:

:w00t:

but we're not supposed to be pumped up for the game, I thought?!?!

:oops:

:w00t:

Nice job. It only took 8 pages to reel it all back in.

I really hope there is a Lori-breakdown of the game tomorrow morning. That would be a great loss if there wasn't.

sorry, i missed you at Hammers this morning. was there for about half-hour.

jw