Troup has had a stellar camp and other d-line notes

sharper802

According to Sportsline.com he has been very good in camp. The FO was widely criticized for taking Troup instead of Clausen or Cody. Some had Cam Thomas ahead of him who ultimately went in the 5th to San Diego. Anyone know how Dan Williams is doing in Arizona? Cody in Baltimore? Thomas?

Troup could have as big or bigger impact on the defense as Spiller will on the offense.

I wonder when they switch to a 4-3 if they will play Troup and Williams at DT and leave Stroud at end or move him inside? They play 4 down lineman when they switch to a nickel and dime package. Again it will be interesting to see who lines up where. Will Maybin stay at OLB in the nickel or put his hand on the ground as a DE? I thought that is what Schobel would have done. Perhaps Kelsay goes to the DE position and Maybin rushes from the OLB spot. I have seen Demarcus Ware do both.

Thoughts?

According to Sportsline.com he has been very good in camp. The FO was widely criticized for taking Troup instead of Clausen or Cody. Some had Cam Thomas ahead of him who ultimately went in the 5th to San Diego. Anyone know how Dan Williams is doing in Arizona? Cody in Baltimore? Thomas?

Troup could have as big or bigger impact on the defense as Spiller will on the offense.

I wonder when they switch to a 4-3 if they will play Troup and Williams at DT and leave Stroud at end or move him inside? They play 4 down lineman when they switch to a nickel and dime package. Again it will be interesting to see who lines up where. Will Maybin stay at OLB in the nickel or put his hand on the ground as a DE? I thought that is what Schobel would have done. Perhaps Kelsay goes to the DE position and Maybin rushes from the OLB spot. I have seen Demarcus Ware do both.

Thoughts?

at the cincy game....i watched him exclusivly about 5 times.....he got zero push all 5 times.....i will watch him more during the miami game.

Thoughts?

I always liked Troup more than Cody and the others. He has a great work ethic and, IMO, that is more valuable than a little more talent.

And I'm sure that's where Troup would be if he was drafted by the Ravens. They're pretty deep on defense. But regardless, I preferred Troup over Cody anyways.

I disagree, he'd be second string. The starting NT they have is very solid but I'm sure Troup would beat out McKinney. JMO

Troup could have as big or bigger impact on the defense as Spiller will on the offense.I wonder when they switch to a 4-3 if they will play Troup and Williams at DT and leave Stroud at end or move him inside? They play 4 down lineman when they switch to a nickel and dime package. Again it will be interesting to see who lines up where. Will Maybin stay at OLB in the nickel or put his hand on the ground as a DE? I thought that is what Schobel would have done. Perhaps Kelsay goes to the DE position and Maybin rushes from the OLB spot. I have seen Demarcus Ware do both.

Thoughts?

Good news whatever "very good camp" actually means. I saw all the preseason games and he looked ok. He did not make a lot a plays but he held his own. He is young and learning a difficult position.

No way he makes more of an impact than Spiller this year. Maybe in a few years but I expect Troup will come along slow and steady, just like Pat Williams did.

Spiller is much more likely to make a impact starting in game 1.

Link

Cody is currently the third string NT behind K. Gregg and B. McKinney. :rolleyes:

whats with the eye-roll? that is exactly where most of us (even us Cody Fans) thought he would end up this year.

I was/am a big fan of Cody, but he is at-best a 2 year project. That is why Baltimore was the perfect place for him. If he comes along and can become as dominant as he was in the college game, then they are set. If not, no biggie since they are already (and will continue to be) stacked at DLine. He was a high risk/high return pick.

That's why I feel he and Tebow defined the term "luxury pick" much better than when people were throwing it around with the Spiller pick. The Bills do not have anyone else as talented as Spiller. There was no one else on the board that could make as large and as immediate of an impact on this team as Spiller. That's hardly a luxury pick. Tebow and Cody may never play a down in the NFL, or they may end up being HoF caliber. Either way, no big deal for the teams that picked them as they have others that can perform as well, if not better, already.

at the cincy game....i watched him exclusivly about 5 times.....he got zero push all 5 times.....i will watch him more during the miami game.

He isn't necessarily supposed to get push, he is supposed to clog the middle and take up blockers to prevent runs up the middle.

He isn't necessarily supposed to get push, he is supposed to clog the middle and take up blockers to prevent runs up the middle.

I watched him about 5 plays very closely vs. detroit. I'd say, maybe by mid-season he'll be an ok 10-15 play sub. Right now, 5 or 8 p/g I'd say. Because Willaims must rest and Troup must learn. I think, what you want to see is explosion and power or athleticism (like big teddy w), troup held his own, kinda, but did not look special in any particular way... imho...

good effort and hustle though...

GO BILLS!

Exactly. The 3-4 NT is supposed to stand still and hopefully take up two blockers. If he's done that, he's done his job. Any push is a bonus, but not required.

When I have seen Troup he hasnt been moved but he hasnt drawn 2 blockers either. When being blocked one on one he hasnt gotten much push it seems - so why double team him when one can handle him?

Cody has been a monster when in vrs the run, pushing mulitiple blockers in the backfield - We all knew he would be. But he plays one play in 10. His problem ahs always be conditioning and even if he makes a great play or two he has to sit out the next 5+. Cody was a top 10 pick if he was in better shape, and he is playing exactly like that IMO.