What Happened 30 years ago today?

30 Years ago on this day, we beat the Miami Dolphins for the first time in 10 years (20 straight games) 4 takeaways by Jeff Nixon,3 interceptions and a fumble recovery! :worthy:

youtube.com/watch?v=IbiRjRu0Fuc

I was there. It was a beautiful day and nobody left the stadium. Crowd was chanting "We beat Miami" as the clock ran down. Fans rushed the field, tore down the goal posts and passed them up and down the stands at Rich. One upright got delivered to Ralph - passed right up to his box. He had it cut-up and a local radio station had a promotion giving away pieces of the goalposts.

Younger fans have no idea how torturous those 10 years were. The Bills lost in every conceivable manner. And Phish players just laughed. Zero for the 70s is the one major reason why I'll always hate the phish and more than any other team.

Ive been to some great games and experienced some dramatic sports wins for my favorite teams throughout the years but this game is top 3 of all time for me.

Edited by Tony P

I was there. It was a beautiful day and nobody left the stadium. Crowd was chanting "We beat Miami" as the clock ran down. Fans rushed the field, tore down the goal posts and passed them up and down the stands at Rich. One upright got delivered to Ralph - passed right up to his box. He had it cut-up and a local radio station had a promotion giving away pieces of the goalposts.

Younger fans have no idea how torturous those 10 years were. The Bills lost in every conceivable manner. And Phish players just laughed. Zero for the 70’s is the one major reason why I’ll always hat the phish – and more than any other team.

I’ve been to some great games and experienced some dramatic sports wins for my favorite teams throughout the years but this game is top 3 of all time for me.

I was there but I never went on the field. I was on the sideline 30 feet from the posts.

CRAZY!

As I mentioned last week:

hmmm...I'm sorry, I'm just remember back to opening 30 years ago next Tuesday, when the heavily favored Dolphins came in to start the season and got surprised by an upstart Bills team that wasn't expected to do much.

Besides my first game, that was the first "never forget game" in my Bills fandom.

...and I got that feeling we might do it again.

:thumbsup:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

What a great game and I still have a piece of the turf from rich stadium in a nicely sealed container. The place went crazy and was a wonderful day for football. Beating the fish after oh for 70s was classic as well as defeat of Steelers later that year. We didnt leave the stadium till almost 9PM that day and amazed we made it home given the amount of booze of all varieties we had. As others stated those uniforms rocked from my view.

Younger fans have no idea how torturous those 10 years were. The Bills lost in every conceivable manner. And Phish players just laughed. Zero for the 70s is the one major reason why I'll always hate the phish and more than any other team.

Ive been to some great games and experienced some dramatic sports wins for my favorite teams throughout the years but this game is top 3 of all time for me.

I have a piece of that goalpost in my basement gameroom!

Edited by Cookiemonster

What a great game and I still have a piece of the turf from rich stadium in a nicely sealed container. The place went crazy and was a wonderful day for football. Beating the fish after oh for 70s was classic as well as defeat of Steelers later that year. We didnt leave the stadium till almost 9PM that day and amazed we made it home given the amount of booze of all varieties we had. As others stated those uniforms rocked from my view.

This is why fans are not allowed on the field :oops:

Those were 10 tough years! Many of the losses were close scores. I always thought that having Don Shula on the NFL Rules Committee, during that time, made most of the close/questionable calls go Don's way.

Man, Marv, I couldn't agree with you more. That was the felling amongst my group of friends, as well.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Those were 10 tough years! Many of the losses were close scores. I always thought that having Don Shula on the NFL Rules Committee, during that time, made most of the close/questionable calls go Don's way.

So true. The calls were horrendous when playing Miami in those days, worse even than playing NE* nowadays. Remember the time Ralph Wilson kicked down the officials door after a game to personally complain to the officials.

But being on that field after the game was something none of us that were there will ever forget. I only have a piece of the net (that is used behind the goalposts for field goals) but I still treasure that. The interception and long TD return by LB Isaiah Robertson for the final TD was an amazing play.