Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

Gyp and Chalky's scene was awesome (w nucky hiding in the house)

Darmody ruled but Gyp and more Chalky is not a bad thing either. Series Finale next week should be something. Maybe I'll take a lil nap during the Jags/Bills game so I can enjoy Boardwalk Sun night.

**ive said it before but Nucky's brother Eli, is an awesome actor as well**

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High intrigue in this episode. And I agree w/dev the Capone scene at the end was great!

Been wondering, for some time, how Capone/Torrio/Van Alden and the Chicago guys were going to become relevant to the story....the guy who plays Al Capone is great. Really great episode...I hope Eddie doesn't die...I have always enjoyed the banter between he and Nucky. And Buffalo even makes a reference cameo!

This episode had all the feel of the second to last episode of "The Sopranos"...one of the greatest hours of television ever...bummed that we are already on the season finale...just when it is heating up...looks like Harrow the sniper is going to jump back into action.

Edited by Buftex

the guy who plays Al Capone is great.

Totally agree with that. But I do sometimes have to detach myself from reality when watching his scenes. This fictional Capone is a little too much of a sympathetic character, maybe even a "good guy" type, when compared to the historical Capone

looks like Harrow the sniper is going to jump back into action.

Love the Richard character and thought he was totally under used this season. Going into the season, I thought he'd be more like in the opener when he killed Manny (a character I was sorry to see go, but I understand they had to write him out with William Forsythe taking a role on that Mob Doctor show. IMO Forsythe's skills will be diminished on network TV). But anyways, I thought he would be a thorn in Nucky's side, picking people off here and there to avenge Darmidy. Now I see what they did with the character. He's not a cold blooded killer. He doesn't kill for greed or revenge. He's a soldier who kills to protect what he loves,

Totally agree with that. But I do sometimes have to detach myself from reality when watching his scenes. This fictional Capone is a little too much of a sympathetic character, maybe even a "good guy" type, when compared to the historical Capone

Love the Richard character and thought he was totally under used this season. Going into the season, I thought he'd be more like in the opener when he killed Manny (a character I was sorry to see go, but I understand they had to write him out with William Forsythe taking a role on that Mob Doctor show. IMO Forsythe's skills will be diminished on network TV). But anyways, I thought he would be a thorn in Nucky's side, picking people off here and there to avenge Darmidy. Now I see what they did with the character. He's not a cold blooded killer. He doesn't kill for greed or revenge. He's a soldier who kills to protect what he loves,

Funny, you probably know this, but the guy who plays Harrow is the same guy who does those Guiness Black Lager commercials...they run them constantly during football on Sundays...weird to see him with a whole face. Anyways, I get the feeling, as protective as he was of Darmody (as !@#$ed up as he was, Jimmy was the only one who was decent to Harrow), and even though he knows Nucky killed Darmody, Harrow will be working for Nucky. I thought they did a great job of keeping Harrow developing...he is kind of a loner, and Jimmy, his one connection to the action, was kind of removed from the equation...looks like he comes back with a vengence...loved the montage of him laying out his guns...he seems like such a tragic figure, you almost forget that when we met him, he was a sniper.

I always wonder when these shows start, how far in advance they plot things out. I am kind of wondering if Margaret will be out of the picture next season... I really love this show, but do you get the sense that the creators kind of listened to some of the criticism of the first season (it is too slow) and kind of tried to re-create the show? It certainly has upped the anty on its' violence...the scene with Gyp and the golf club last week was pretty brutal...and I am not squeamish at all...I kind of wodner if they had painted themselves into a corner with Nucky and Margarets relationship, and tried, this season, to write their way out of it..either way, it was certainly done with flair. I will be interested to see if she comes back next season. Of course, I had almost thought the same thing with the Van Alden character, but they seem to have come full circle with him...

I am a moderate mob buff...I have a hard time keeping all the historical stuff straight, so I am not always aware when/if they are taking liberties with history sometimes...if I have one reservastion about the show (and it is a small one, becasue I enjoy it so much) is the vernacular that they sometimes use....for some reason (maybe it is just me) I can't imagine them saying some of the things they say, in the 1920's.

Edited by Buftex

I wouldn't really call him a "good guy". He beat somebody to death in a bar in front of 20+ people and then threw some money on his body saying, "pay for his funeral."

...although I guess it was nice for him to pay for his funeral. Haha.

I do love this show tho, I kinda bailed half way through the first season because it was kind of getting boring but I really got back into it the last two seasons. Harrow is my favorite character. I really hope he ends up with Nuck.

Edited by Wooderson

Anyways, I get the feeling, as protective as he was of Darmody (as !@#$ed up as he was, Jimmy was the only one who was decent to Harrow), and even though he knows Nucky killed Darmody, Harrow will be working for Nucky.

This was touched upon after Manny's murder. Nobody really knew what happend and that slimey Doyle was dropping hints that maybe he did it. So Richard picked up Doyle and dragged him before Nucky.

Richard made it perfectly clear that he killed Manny because of Angela. Nucky didn't come out and say that he killed Darmody, but wanted to know where he stood with Richard. Richard said that Darmody lived a dangerous life and that both Nucky and Margaret were good to him (Richard).

Richard knew it was Nucky that killed Darmody and that Jillian's substitute corpse was a fake. But Richard was a soldier and knew Darmody was less a murder than a casualty

Been wondering, for some time, how Capone/Torrio/Van Alden and the Chicago guys were going to become relevant to the story....the guy who plays Al Capone is great. Really great episode...I hope Eddie doesn't die...I have always enjoyed the banter between he and Nucky. And Buffalo even makes a reference cameo!

This episode had all the feel of the second to last episode of "The Sopranos"...one of the greatest hours of television ever...bummed that we are already on the season finale...just when it is heating up...looks like Harrow the sniper is going to jump back into action.

There was a Buffalo reference in this week's Season finale of "Treme". The young investigative reporter said he was going to look into some deaths at the Erie County prison in New York. Melissa Leo said, "What, Buffalo?" He smiled and said, "Yeah."

There was a Buffalo reference in this week's Season finale of "Treme". The young investigative reporter said he was going to look into some deaths at the Erie County prison in New York. Melissa Leo said, "What, Buffalo?" He smiled and said, "Yeah."

Yeah, I caught that too..just didn't mention it cuz I feel like there are only about 2 or 3 people who watch "Treme"...I really love it.. one, shortened, 5 episode season left..and then it is over. :(

What was kind of cool about the Boardwalk Empire reference to Buffalo was that it kind of put Buffalo in the context of a major American city, as it would have been in the 1920's...normally any passing references to Buffalo are deragotory in some way!

Edited by Buftex

Yeah, I caught that too..just didn't mention it cuz I feel like there are only about 2 or 3 people who watch "Treme"...I really love it.. one, shortened, 5 episode season left..and then it is over. :(

What was kind of cool about the Boardwalk Empire reference to Buffalo was that it kind of put Buffalo in the context of a major American city, as it would have been in the 1920's...normally any passing references to Buffalo are deragotory in some way!

I get the feeling that HBO felt so indebted to David Simon for "The Wire" that they sort of just allowed to play in his New Orleans sandbox with his friends (Melissa Leo, Wedell Pierce, Clarke Peters et al). I really enjoy(ed) the individual stories as told in this context. Check out "Generation Kill" if you haven't already. It's about the invasion of Iraq (the 2nd one). Ziggy from the second season of "The Wire" is great on it.

Funny, you probably know this, but the guy who plays Harrow is the same guy who does those Guiness Black Lager commercials...

Has anyone else noticed that they changed the background music/lyrics during those commercials? Originally the lyrics were "Once you go black you never go back", now they're "I'm a black sheep". I figure someone complained about the 1st lyrics.

treme is much improved this year...i love it, but also understand why a lot do not watch as it can be slow moving (at least last season was)

Ziggy? I feel like HBO sneaks him in every series.

I am also a huge Treme fan. I have learned a ton bout New Orleans by watching that show then reading the Treme Explained blog the next day in the Times Picayune. .

Zingy was in Treme too

This was touched upon after Manny's murder. Nobody really knew what happend and that slimey Doyle was dropping hints that maybe he did it. So Richard picked up Doyle and dragged him before Nucky.

Richard made it perfectly clear that he killed Manny because of Angela. Nucky didn't come out and say that he killed Darmody, but wanted to know where he stood with Richard. Richard said that Darmody lived a dangerous life and that both Nucky and Margaret were good to him (Richard).

Richard knew it was Nucky that killed Darmody and that Jillian's substitute corpse was a fake. But Richard was a soldier and knew Darmody was less a murder than a casualty

I thought they did a good job resolving the conflict over Jimmy's murder. After Richard took out Manny, I thought for sure he was going after Nucky as well. And after he dragged Micky in front of Nucky and admitted that he (Richard) killed Manny to avenge Angela, you could almost see Nucky's sphincter tighten a bit. But when Nucky asked Richard if they were OK, Richard said to Nucky, "Jimmy was a soldier. He lost," and that because Nucky and Margaret had been good to him, Nucky had nothing to fear from him. It was poignant also that Richard knew exactly how many people he had killed as well, 63.

When I go back to that scene in the Commodore's living room when Eli suggested they kill Nucky, Richard was incredulous when he asked Eli, "You would kill your own brother?" That should have been a tipoff to me that Richard just can't abide that kind of family disloyalty and it really wasn't a surprise that he would take the attitude that he did regarding Nucky killing Jimmy.

The Richard Harrow character should be taught in Lit classes.

Edited by K-9

treme is much improved this year...i love it, but also understand why a lot do not watch as it can be slow moving (at least last season was)

Ziggy? I feel like HBO sneaks him in every series.

That reminded me that he was in "How to Make it in America". They should bring back that show and "Bored to Death" cross it over with "Girls" and have everyone at a Delmond Lambreaux gig.

Bittersweet that "Boardwalk Empire" has (almost) already completed an entire season. It's really a fantastic show.

Edited by HopsGuy