USA Today has us 8 - 8

PS 56

Me too. So when you dismiss Chan Gailey's record in Dallas, I'm calling you on it.

Dallas before Gailey was HC: 6-10

Dallas when Gailey was HC: 10-6; 8-8

Dallas for the three years after he was fired: 5-11, 5-11, 5-11

So much for the "team with talent" that he didn't have a big part of leading to victory. This was not the SB-winning Cowboys - they were old and or retired. He was winning with the remnants.

As for the Bills having the same personnel - if they avoid a league-high 20 players on IR - including 3 of 5 O-linemen, your first statement will also be false.

I'm pretty sure we have a new starting RB this year too.

I'm not sure I "dismissed" Gaileys record. I did say he was over .500. I said he had some talent on the Cowgirls team and he did. He had Aikman and Emmit Smith both years I believe (albeit at the end of their careers). And as you said his combined record as a head coach for the 2 seasons was 18-14 (or 18-16 if you include 0-2 in playoff games). Like I said, a "winning" record but hardly one that would inspire superbowl dreams. Also that head coaching experience was quite some time ago.

The Bills do have largely the same personnel as last season, so my statement is not false. If they stay healthy or not this season remains to be seen, but the roster is not substantially different than last years.

You seem to think Gailey is a great coach and will do great things with the Bills. Maybe he will, I certainly hope he can. But apparently unlike you, I do not expect a turnaround this season. I think Gailey/Nix will need at least 3 seasons to right the ship, if they can.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The Bills largely have the same personnel on both sides of the ball this season.

2) This is very possible.

3) You say this with Spiller having exactly zero live carries in a NFL game that counts? Scoring machine, really? He certainly looks exciting to watch and could prove to be very good if he can manage to stay healthy (he is very small). We should probably wait until he has at least one real game under his belt before we declare him the next OJ don't you think?

4) Proven winner? He hasn't been a head coach in the NFL for a very long time. And when he was, he did have a winning record (with a team with talent) but not hall of fame material. Excellent playcaller? That is a matter of opinion, and you could be right. We will start to see shortly.

I don't mind people "billieving" at all, more power to you. It's revising history to make billieving easier I have trouble with.

{with uplifted eyes} For all that is holy, PLEASE let the season start already! This stuff is getting tired.

Edited by DerekJ

I agree, but I would direct that at the post I was responding to.

Actually, I'll leave it where it is, thank you. My comment is applicable to everyone (including me). I'm just ready for some football....let's get it underway. All this speculation is worthless, really.

There's no way the Jets will finish with 6 wins. The addition of Cromartie, Jason Taylor to the best defense in the NFL makes them only go up. I say Jets:11-5 Pats:11-5 Dolphins:8-8 Bills:5-11

Loss of Revis.. Revis > Cromartie

Just sayin..

Guest dog14787

I agree, but I would direct that at the post I was responding to.

Really, for giving my prediction on a sports forum and some of the reasons why,

Disagreeing with me is one thing, but If my posts are tiresome why bother responding,

Perhaps I feel the same about all the negativity, but I also realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

How about this is the first "national" article I've seen that actually has stats from the preseason, not to mention had the 2009 records right on display.

This preseason Bills 1's beat the 1's of the Colts, Bengals, and Lions, and Trent put up a 97.1 QB rating. (They were missing 3 of 5 OLinemen for the Skin's). This guy actually knew some of that before he started typing.

Preseason final scores mean little - but the play of the 1's vs. the 1's IS VERY INDICATIVE of the season to come. The fact that the great mass of national media nitwits hasn't watched any of it just reinforces the my notion that sports writers get paid for damned little real work.

why thanks. always glad to be included among the masses. and the pay is good, too.

jw

I think the Bills are an enigma this season. So many new variables.

If fans, who follow this team down to the most finite of details have predictions all over the board and such a wide variety of opinion on how good the team is, national sports media are truly out in the dark and simply guessing.

A lot of posters and Bills fans in general need to realize that everyone will dog this team until they do something. Every single media expert that said we are going to suck this year has at least once in the past decade said that any given year was going to be Buffalo's breakout year. They aren't going to be fooled again. The only thing that will get this team good press is winning.

There's no way the Jets will finish with 6 wins. The addition of Cromartie, Jason Taylor to the best defense in the NFL makes them only go up. I say Jets:11-5 Pats:11-5 Dolphins:8-8 Bills:5-11

Cromartie might be a slight improvement, but bringing in a senior citizen like Jasonn Taylor only adds marginal value. It looks like more of a depth move. The D will still be solid, but unless Dirty Mark improves drastically in his sophomore year, I think their team overall is equal to or possibly worse than the 8-8 powerhouse they fielded last year.

I was gonna post the same thing. Doesn't Allen Wilson write those articles for the Sports Xchange?

According to a little birdie, Leo Roth used to write them, and perhaps he still does. It probably is a local guy. Wilson does it for The Sporting News, and it's also possible that is where CBS or USA Today gets it from.

Either way, that article in all likelihood was written by a local sportswriter as opposed to a national guy.

According to a little birdie, Leo Roth used to write them, and perhaps he still does. It probably is a local guy. Wilson does it for The Sporting News, and it's also possible that is where CBS or USA Today gets it from.

Either way, that article in all likelihood was written by a local sportswriter as opposed to a national guy.

Hmm I wonder which company owns USA Today and which local newspapers it also owns ...