2010 Draft

sharper802

So far it is a bit scary. Yes the top of the draft looks good. But with so many holes to fill there looks to be too many misses in the middle/bottom.

Easel WRY - IR. Could have come back mid year but was so raw Gaile decided to keep two Ufa's instead.

Wang OT - Not being placed on the PUP is an encouraging sign. Hopefully he gets some reps in game situations during blowouts and maybe works himself into the line-up by the end of the year. More likely they will add another veteran tackle and Wang is inactive the better part of the year.

Moats LB - Special teams at best.

Batten LB - IR. Didn't show much in camp before the injury.

Brown QB - couldn't even make the PS

Calloway G - on a team with as little o-line depth as the Bills he couldn't even make it to the last cut day and is not on the PS

That is pretty poor for a team with few legitimate starters let alone back-ups. If Nelson becomes a legit WR that will make up for some of these misses.

1.) The best rookies are last years rookies.

2.) far too early to just these players. The season hasn't even started yet

3.) These are not high draft picks. The entire draft is a crap shoot. If you can get a couple of later round guys to come in and help out, it's a damn good draft.

Lets wait a little while before calling this draft class a failure.

So far it is a bit scary. Yes the top of the draft looks good. But with so many holes to fill there looks to be too many misses in the middle/bottom.

Easel WRY - IR. Could have come back mid year but was so raw Gaile decided to keep two Ufa's instead.

Wang OT - Not being placed on the PUP is an encouraging sign. Hopefully he gets some reps in game situations during blowouts and maybe works himself into the line-up by the end of the year. More likely they will add another veteran tackle and Wang is inactive the better part of the year.

Calloway G - on a team with as little o-line depth as the Bills he couldn't even make it to the last cut day and is not on the PS

That is pretty poor for a team with few legitimate starters let alone back-ups. If Nelson becomes a legit WR that will make up for some of these misses.

No unreasonable expectations from you :doh: What about our UDFA's? Do they not add to your disappointment?

PTR

I guess I should respond to this since I'm on record with "we could look back on this draft as one of the best in their history," or something like that.

First, I think it's agreed that the first 3 picks will contribute to varying degrees this year.

Your issue is 4-7.

4th Easley: Showed signs of being a steal and future #2 opposite Evans. Given the time he missed, he would not be able to contribute much until later in the season. I think Gailey/Nix decided the best option was to IR him. One can find many quotes where Gailey talks about players who can help the team now.

5th Wang: He could've gone the same route as Easley, but they obviously feel he will develop fast enough to be the backup to Meredith as the backup at tackle positions.

6th Moats and Batten: Yes, Moats is clearly a ST player this year and I think any rational observer would say that's the best you can expect from a 6th rounder. I really like his future potential as he learns a completely new position, and I think he will eventually be a very good starting ILB for this team. As for Batten, I thought he'd make the team and help out on ST as well. I'm less certain about his long term capabilities.

7th Brown and Calloway: How many teams hit in the 7th? I thought Calloway might be a PS candidate, but apparently, as the draft guides said, he had slow feet. As for Brown, who's to say he won't be back with the Bills in the future? I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the Fred Jackson route to the NFL. It makes little sense to have a 4th qb on the PS since he would get virtually no time.

As I said in my original evaluation of the draft, anything after the 3rd round is gravy. Me thinks you protest too much.

I may be misreading your post, but I don't think that because players get hurt that that makes for "a bad draft." The only two busts right now are Brown (training camp fodder) and Calloway, both 7th rounders. As for the rest of the draft picks, they all either made the team or, in the case of those who are injured, looked to be headed towards making it. Considering the history of the Bills upper round picks (I don't have to go into that, do I?), this alone makes the 2010 draft one for celebration.

Otr you could argue that maybe their line depth isn't as bad as everyone here sems to think. No team has five all-pro's. Typically your strong players make the weak ones look better. The Bills have two strong young guards. If Bell figures things out, he may turn out to be salvagable or better. While I agree that left tackle is the most important positin, haveing an average LT with fourgood players around him, you'll still do fine. Do the Bill's have four good ones, no, but I think thereare closer to being good than they are to being bad. IMO the biggest test wil lbe stayting healthy.

There's little to no difference between a 5th, 6th, 7th round pick and a UDFA. The great majority of them never amount to anything, and most are gone after a year or 2. Often times, teams will pass on a "better" prospect they feel they can sign as a UDFA to select a player at a specific position, or select someone who would never sign with the team after the draft.

If you are going to criticize the team for failing on a 7th round pick, you MUST give them credit for unearthing UDFAs.