Just some observations when looking at the 53

Deep2Moulds46

I haven't been able to watch any preseason games this year, so I am strictly going by what I saw from last year and TC reports...but..

Keeping 2 TE's is kind of a surprise. I guess maybe we'll just put a 6th OL in for short yardage situations until Nelson gets back.

This is collectively, the worst offensive line group I have seen in a long time. Outside of Wood, Levitre and Hangartner, you could make the case that we have a bunch of UFL prospects , and unfortunately, two of them have to start.

Im a little surprised Kelsay made the roster given his salary and the lack of a salary cap. We could have cut him with little to no penalty, and he isnt a fit in the 3-4.

Ellison is going to play where exactly in this 3-4?

I loved our DB's before the season started, now for some reason, when I see it written down, it looks like an average group to me.

2 TE and 8 lineman. That has disaster written all over it. I was suprised to see us keep 6 safetys too

I am surprised a little, but I think they can pick up players of the same quality as the ones they let go at those two positions. Defensive backs are a deep area on this team. Some of those cut offensive lineman are going to be on the practice squad. I wonder if they might be able to deal one of those defensive backs.

We've got to consider that at least two of these positions will change over the next few days. The Bills F.O. has to have a pretty good idea on who will be released from other squads that will improve us - so, for instance, Hartwig?? from Steelers - a center - was just released. We could go after him and have a solid back up there. I'd be surprised if we didn't add another C/G and a T, and maybe we've got to consider someone like Troy Smith now, too. I think we'll see a little change soon.

I'd say the only surprises I have so far are seeing Chad Jackson and Bell getting cut. I was hoping we'd keep Coleman and Moats - as I'm high on both their potential, especially Moats, who looks like he'll be a monster LB for us for years. Bell - I think if he makes it through waivers we'll put him on practice squad.

The thing that strikes me is that five udfa made the team: Donald Jones, David Nelson, Antonio Coleman, Dominique Harris, and Cordaro Howard. I think David Nelson has a bright future and could even be starting towards the end of the year. Since Cordaro Howard is the only reserve interior lineman, he is going to see some action too.

I am surprised a little, but I think they can pick up players of the same quality as the ones they let go at those two positions. Defensive backs are a deep area on this team. Some of those cut offensive lineman are going to be on the practice squad. I wonder if they might be able to deal one of those defensive backs.

It looks like we kept the most talented 53, kind of like drafting the best player available. We may be able to deal a DB and pick up another OL or at least a late draft pick. This way someone doesn't just get our DB for nothing when released. The other thing is that some of the players dropped right now might still be available a week or a few weeks down the road if injuries pop up. Someone like Kirk Chambers always seems to be around to add back to our roster when needed. I think Nix and Gailey were very shrewd about this thing. Of course the practice squad will also be there to re-sign several of these cut players, and at positions where we might need them.

Edited by NewHampshireBillsFan

So you haven't even seen the team play this year yet you're sure that this guy can't play in that position and the secondary is suddenly mediocre. Seems perfectly reasonable. Go back to your Madden season.

:flirt: I cant believe I had to read this far before 'someone' said it. :thumbsup:

Not sure why the staff went the way they did but they are in control. I will give my thoughts and opinions though. QB's - I am ok with, I jope Brown gets on the practice squad an remains there. RB's - I can understand keeping the 3; but I would have kept Bell and traded Lynch. WR's - Chad Jackson showed me he deserved to be on the team, someone will get him. TE's - it is what it is, need help. OL - 8 is way to few, injuries and such and with a shortage at TE I am sure 1 will be used. The waiver wire will have to be watched, this group may be in trouble. DL - Looks good enough for me. I would have one more NT though. LB - it takes 8 to run a 3-4, why 10 were kept is beyond me. I look for a cut here if someone is added. DB's - for the talent way too many. I look for some to be moved if FA'a come in or players come off injury or suspension or whatever. ST's - looks good to me. I guess the overage in players for positions kept looked better then the players in positions cut. I venture as I have read this is not final. Holes for TE and OL about predict it. My final thoughts on OL is less is better if not injured. More playing time less players may be hope they get better. Do you think an offensive minded coach would be so light as far as offense is concerned? 12 DB's - I thought Jauron was gone? We will just have to Billieve - Go Bills!!!!! :thumbsup:

I agree with the thoughts on the O-line: as long as we can stay healthy, then the less kept the better, since the starters we have at tackle aren't as promising as we'd like, it only would seem logical that keeping players below them would be lessening the overall talent of the team.

As for the DB's - I think it is a case of keeping best talent and knowing that in doing so there will either be a cut or two to make room for aquisitions over the next few days, or trade options as some teams are very weak at DB - otherwise solid playoff contenders, too.

I was curious about Ellison - because it seems like Scott, our safety, kind of does what we'd want Ellison to do; namely play LB on obvious passing downs. With Scott it's a strenght for the team because he doubles as a safety, and is a solid player at that position. With Ellison, it seems like he is a luxury on this squad - unless he is just much better than I can see - I know he's smart and knows his assignments, and that it is his size that is his weakness.

I haven't been able to watch any preseason games this year, so I am strictly going by what I saw from last year and TC reports...but..

Keeping 2 TE's is kind of a surprise. I guess maybe we'll just put a 6th OL in for short yardage situations until Nelson gets back.

This is collectively, the worst offensive line group I have seen in a long time. Outside of Wood, Levitre and Hangartner, you could make the case that we have a bunch of UFL prospects , and unfortunately, two of them have to start.

Im a little surprised Kelsay made the roster given his salary and the lack of a salary cap. We could have cut him with little to no penalty, and he isnt a fit in the 3-4.

I loved our DB's before the season started, now for some reason, when I see it written down, it looks like an average group to me.

These guys here beat it to deaf but D.Bell has looked pretty good since he's been in there. On the other side thats a different story, I see Meredith taking that spot before season ends. Im not as high on the interior from what I saw or Stupar reaching his blocks in this scheme, Hangartner get blown up often and Levitre is a slow starter in games, so let help he doesn't get Trent killed early in games...IMHO,I say go get Hartwig as insurance just in case Hangman has a rough go this year.

Edited by pimp on da' net

I had that thought too, that some of the choices may have been made with a deal discussion in mind.

Observations

Six safeties seem a little unbalanced but might be due to the Byrd injury

If I was playing the Bills I'd test the Bills LBs early and often as pass defenders

Chad Johnson must have some serious problems outside of physical abilities to play football

Offensive Line is scary, yikes!!

not surprised the Bills kept McCargo - he's looked better as a 3-4 end then he ever looked as a 4-3 tackle

I'd be shocked if there isn't some major reshuffling after the first game.

Bills must be looking at o-line and TE for possible waiver pick-ups. I would assume at least one safety will be cut if they can find players at other positions. I am also guessing that the Bills are trying to trade McCargo. Keeping five undrafted free agents suggests to me that this is not a talented roster. After Evans, our current group of wrs is probably the worst in the NFL.