Why not Houshmanzadeh?

PaattMaann

1. TO is NOT a possession receiver...he and Housh are vastly different receivers, Housh has always been a possession guy who runs perfect 5-8 yard quick routes, something our offensive coordinator/head coach has said he wants to focus on...perfect fit for Housh not Owens who prefers those 15 yard routes that dont necessarily force him over the middle every play...like I said, TO wants to be involved in BIG plays, Housh will be fine with his 5 yard catches, THATS what we need

2. Our young receievers can STILL develop with the addition of Housh...adding one piece doesnt force us to forget all our others...there are 4 quarters in every game, and if we use 4 WR sets at all, that leaves plenty of opp for all our receivers to see alot of game action

3. why cant a 32 year old receiver help our team develop? They see a guy who just shows up to work day in and day out and doesnt B word and moan, and focuses on the little things that have made him a pro bowl WR....route running and getting open...something NONE of our WRs have proven they know how to do - and yes this DOES include Lee Evans...sure he gets open when he runs fly routes down the field, NOT ins and crossing routes...Housh gets open (as evident by his 70 plus receptions every year as a starter)

4. He was signed to be a number 1 in Seattle, hes not a number 1...im not lowering expectations, its being realistic with expectations, hes a good number 2 WR, not the number 1....thats it, Seattle misjudged and is now learning that the hard way

5. We have money THIS YEAR to give to him (less than a million probably is what it will require)...that has NOTHING to do with "finding our Andre Reed" haha...Andre Reeds come once in a while...so you are saying we do not improve our team in favor or hoping like hell an Andre Reed falls in our lap? Silly...not to mention we have a potential good WR on injury reserve this year that could be our guy (Easly)

6. I agree with what you said haha...

In short...adding TJ does nothing to detract from the rest...im not saying hes the best WR in the NFL...but he is better than almost all of our current WR's and hes PROVED IT IN THE NFL ON SUNDAYS his entire career....why are we afraid of success?

1. Historically, the definition of a possession receiver is a larger guy who can put his body between the man and the ball, regardless of rout. TO went over the middle a whole lot last year, so WTF are you talking about? Why do we want a little, 32 year old guy going over the middle again? In a division that all plays the 3-4? We already have a slot receiver who can do the crossing pattern thing. As has been said: injury waiting to happen.

2. How do young receivers develop by sitting on the bench, or not even dressing? They don't. So far I have only seen 4 WR sets in situations. And again, my 4 WRs for that are Evans, Parrish, Johnson, and Jackson/Nelson...but I'd rather see a RB motion out into one of the spots. TJ puts Johnson /Jackson/Nelson on the bench. That's not developing them.

3. Apparently you don't know what the word "develop" means. Mental reps only go so far, and they are practically worthless for a WR. Timing and rout running is a learn by doing, not by watching, activity. :wallbash:

4. Again, why do I want to sign a FA right before the season starts, so he can be #2-3? Do you want to sit Steve Johnson/Roscoe Parrish? I can see if we were signing a HOFer. But, he ain't. He won't know the playbook, and therefore he will be a liability for the first 3 games, while again, keeping people on the bench. Meanwhile, you will be telling us not to expect too much from our big FA singing. So basically our expectations of TJ, and our young guys would be exactly the same. Where's the benefit? :wallbash:

5. I am saying that if you keep recycling old FA WRs, you never know what your young guys can do in a real game. This is fairly easy concept to understand. For all we know, Steve Johnson/Chad Jackson is better than TJ...but we can't know one way or the other if they are on the bench.

TJ detracts by keeping people out of the game. We cannot keep guys on the roster who can't play in the big game. The only way we know if they can, is if we play them, in the big game. We have seen a lot of potential from our young WRs, but we need to see if they can do it, consistently, for real. TJ only interferes with that process.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Historically, the definition of a possession receiver is a larger guy who can put his body between the man and the ball, regardless of rout. TO went over the middle a whole lot last year, so WTF are you talking about? Why do we want a little, 32 year old guy going over the middle again? In a division that all plays the 3-4? We already have a slot receiver who can do the crossing pattern thing. As has been said: injury waiting to happen.

2. How do young receivers develop by sitting on the bench, or not even dressing? They don't. So far I have only seen 4 WR sets in situations. And again, my 4 WRs for that are Evans, Parrish, Johnson, and Jackson/Nelson...but I'd rather see a RB motion out into one of the spots. TJ puts Johnson /Jackson/Nelson on the bench. That's not developing them.

3. Apparently you don't know what the word "develop" means. Mental reps only go so far, and they are practically worthless for a WR. Timing and rout running is a learn by doing, not by watching, activity. :wallbash:

4. Again, why do I want to sign a FA right before the season starts, so he can be #2-3? Do you want to sit Steve Johnson/Roscoe Parrish? I can see if we were signing a HOFer. But, he ain't. He won't know the playbook, and therefore he will be a liability for the first 3 games, while again, keeping people on the bench. Meanwhile, you will be telling us not to expect too much from our big FA singing. So basically our expectations of TJ, and our young guys would be exactly the same. Where's the benefit? :wallbash:

5. I am saying that if you keep recycling old FA WRs, you never know what your young guys can do in a real game. This is fairly easy concept to understand. For all we know, Steve Johnson/Chad Jackson is better than TJ...but we can't know one way or the other if they are on the bench.

TJ detracts by keeping people out of the game. We cannot keep guys on the roster who can't play in the big game. The only way we know if they can, is if we play them, in the big game. We have seen a lot of potential from our young WRs, but we need to see if they can do it, consistently, for real. TJ only interferes with that process.

Housh is not "little", hes 6'2, 230 pounds...sooo, not little by any means buddy

again, get into your dense head, that signing someone like Housh doesnt push everyone else to the bench, it lets them play and learn from him at the same time, if we kept the 6 WRs i mentioned (including Housh) they would all dress and all play, you dont seem to understand rotating into games....you seem stuck in this model where only 3 or 4 WRs dress and play, thats just not realistic....we can find out if Johnson/Jackson/Nelson have what it takes while STILL ADDING Housh....plenty of reps to go around, espeically if any one of them gets injured

im talking about adding someone who can get it done now, and has proven to be able to get it done...not just hoping like hell that one of our 5 unproven, young WRs can actually get it done now but realistically probably end up with another ineffective passing game because WRs fail to get open....but hey, what do I know?

Housh is not "little", hes 6'2, 230 pounds...sooo, not little by any means buddy

again, get into your dense head, that signing someone like Housh doesnt push everyone else to the bench, it lets them play and learn from him at the same time, if we kept the 6 WRs i mentioned (including Housh) they would all dress and all play, you dont seem to understand rotating into games....you seem stuck in this model where only 3 or 4 WRs dress and play, thats just not realistic....we can find out if Johnson/Jackson/Nelson have what it takes while STILL ADDING Housh....plenty of reps to go around, espeically if any one of them gets injured

im talking about adding someone who can get it done now, and has proven to be able to get it done...not just hoping like hell that one of our 5 unproven, young WRs can actually get it done now but realistically probably end up with another ineffective passing game because WRs fail to get open....but hey, what do I know?

My mistake on that measurables. I was looking at the wrong guy.

Regardless, what on earth makes you think we are in "get it done now" mode with this team? Your entire argument is based on the premise that somehow we have a playoff team that's missing a final piece. I assure you, all preseason optimism aside, we don't--> and that's coming from an intolerable optimist.

EDIT: Oh, and now that we have Nelson? I would MUCH rather see him run routs in the middle...because he can also run routs anywhere on the field, and, he's going to act like the TE we don't have for at least a little while.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Regardless, what on earth makes you think we are in "get it done now" mode with this team? Your entire argument is based on the premise that somehow we have a playoff team that's missing a final piece. I assure you, all preseason optimism aside, we don't--> and that's coming from an intolerable optimist.

when I say get it done now, I dont mean that we are on the verge of the playoffs (although in any given year a team can turn it around, plenty of examples in recent history)...I mean "get it done" in the sense of making us a top 20 offense, being able to move the chains consistently...something that Housh has demonstrated every year of his career that he can help do, even in seattle last year where their offense was almost as bad as ours, he still caught over 70 balls, the last time a bills WR caught 70 balls? 2005...might have been 2006, but still...thats a long time not to have someone consistently catching balls...

bottom line bro...bringing in housh is nothing but positive, and still allows our young guys to get on the field and try to prove they are NFL receievers, why not add a WR who is already a proven NFL wideout to help in the process? They all see the field, they all learn from Housh...

per rotoworld

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News disputes a report that the Jets made a trade offer for T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

The original report came from the Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, who has to be pretty miffed at his source. The report never seemed believable in the first place, and the denials are already in full swing. In all likelihood, Housh will end up being released.

when I say get it done now, I dont mean that we are on the verge of the playoffs (although in any given year a team can turn it around, plenty of examples in recent history)...I mean "get it done" in the sense of making us a top 20 offense, being able to move the chains consistently...something that Housh has demonstrated every year of his career that he can help do, even in seattle last year where their offense was almost as bad as ours, he still caught over 70 balls, the last time a bills WR caught 70 balls? 2005...might have been 2006, but still...thats a long time not to have someone consistently catching balls...

bottom line bro...bringing in housh is nothing but positive, and still allows our young guys to get on the field and try to prove they are NFL receievers, why not add a WR who is already a proven NFL wideout to help in the process? They all see the field, they all learn from Housh...

There is no evidence that the WRs we have can't catch 70 balls a game, especially given this coaching staff, and what we have seen this preseason. There is no evidence that they will. The point is we don't know. We do know that Housh is being shopped for a reason. And I don't remember Seattle as being flush with WRs. IF he is somebody they need, then they keep him.

Again, whatever intangibles the young guys need to learn they can get from Evans. And, they can't learn how to play the position physically from the sidelines. The WR position is about doing it.

per rotoworld

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News disputes a report that the Jets made a trade offer for T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

The original report came from the Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, who has to be pretty miffed at his source. The report never seemed believable in the first place, and the denials are already in full swing. In all likelihood, Housh will end up being released.

yea that Joe Reedy report seemed skeevy when it first came out...housh will be released and then pursued, just wishing it is by us, and again, im not a name chaser, im not talking about much hyped and recently released michael clayton, im talking about a proven talent and asset

yea that Joe Reedy report seemed skeevy when it first came out...housh will be released and then pursued, just wishing it is by us, and again, im not a name chaser, im not talking about much hyped and recently released michael clayton, im talking about a proven talent and asset

Well, there goes your "trade for his contract idea"

He just got released. My guess is somebody will make him an offer, and it won't be us.

Well, there goes your "trade for his contract idea"

He just got released. My guess is somebody will make him an offer, and it won't be us.

where did I ever want to trade for his contract? thats crazy...I specifically said I wanted to sign him when he was released because the Hawks would have to pay the difference in his salary, so we could get him cheap...

OC in Buffalo. You are crazy inaccurate all over the place. TO very rarely ran a route that didn't hug the sidelines. And probably won't in Cinci.

A possession receiver is a receiver that catches passes between the hash marks to keep the chains moving. (Josh Reed would be the closest to a possession receiver the Bills had )

There is plenty off evidence Chad Jackson won't be 70 catch receiver. Steve Johnson has a high motor and desire if Hardy had half of Johnson's work ethic he could be 70 catch guy but There is a ton of evidence that Hardy won't make it.

TJ is not old for a WR or injury riddled.

He would take reps away from the Young WRs but adding a good wide receiver that has a reputation for picking up firsts and extending drives could actually increase reps for the young guys because the Bill could have the ball longer and WRs packages can be substituted to develop Steve Johnson.

Basically there really isn't a downside for picking Housh up for 1 mil.

EDIT: Oh, and now that we have Nelson? I would MUCH rather see him run routs in the middle...because he can also run routs anywhere on the field, and, he's going to act like the TE we don't have for at least a little while.

While trying not to sound too mean about this, you do realize that not knowing that Houshm. is a tall receiver without having to look it up made a whole bunch of us automatically discount anything your write about this topic (or pro football generally)? I mean the guy's only been one of the best receivers in the game over the last 5 or so years and yet you don't seem to recall seeing him play apparently, or couldn't recall who he was.....

That said, I do agree with your later point that the fact that he's been cut and doesn't have Seattle picking up his salary this year makes it unfortunately unlikely that we'll get him this year. I also suspect that the Seahawks would have taken no less than a 3 or 4 to not cut him and trade him while picking up the vast bulk of his salary this year.

Edited by MattM

While trying not to sound too mean about this, you do realize that not knowing that Houshm. is a tall receiver without having to look it up made a whole bunch of us automatically discount anything your write about this topic (or pro football generally)? I mean the guy's only been one of the best receivers in the game over the last 5 or so years and yet you don't seem to recall seeing him play apparently, or couldn't recall who he was.....

That said, I do agree with your later point that the fact that he's been cut and doesn't have Seattle picking up his salary this year makes it unfortunately unlikely that we'll get him this year. I also suspect that the Seahawks would have taken no less than a 3 or 4 to not cut him and trade him while picking up the vast bulk of his salary this year.

no, there is language in Housh's contract that says if hes cut in seattle (which he just was) they are on the hook for his 7 million salary this year, if he signs with a team for 1 million, seattle pays the other 6....

his skills havent declined, Pete Carroll loves his USC boys and wants Mike Williams to get a fresh start there and start...Mike Williams has more "intangiables" than Housh...Housh is still going to give you the 70 catch year hes been posting sicne 04...we need to go get him now...

why is he an !@#$? the only things I remember him doing was calling some egotistical radio host " a punk ass white boy" like 5 years back and then this year he was upset with his Madden rankings....haha, why does that make him an !@#$? Especially as you say "one of hte biggest !@#$s in the league" thats a bold statement for someone with two MINOR public incidents...from what I have heard is that hes a great teamate...who cares what he says to radio hosts and madden geeks?

I couldn't care less what he says in interviews.

But when I constantly see him disrespecting teammates, quitting on plays, whining to coaches and yapping at opponents for no reason, then he gets classified as a ginormous jackass who I do not want as a veteran on a young impressionable team.

Bills cut WRs James Hardy, Naaman Roosevelt, Chad Jackson. Seahawks cut WR TJ Houshmanzadeh. Housh may be in his early 30s (which is old for a WR) but he produced well in his 1 season with Seattle, having more receiving yards than our top two leading receivers (TO and Evans). I think this would be a smart move for the Bills to make to have Housh team up with Evans as the starters, have Housh be a role model for Stevie J until Housh retires and Stevie picks up the starting position. Stevie plays in the 3rd WR position and keep Roscoe to play the slot