Why not Houshmanzadeh?

PaattMaann

I am not saying we go out and get Houshmanzadeh (who will probably be cut today by the seahawks) just because he is a name. I am saying go and get him because he is a massive target who didnt live up to his hype in Seattle because he didnt catch TD passes, he still has caught over 70 balls every season hes been a starter...that is someone who gets things done. That is a possession receiever that we desperately need on a team of burners at the wideout spot. Housh is also an EXCELLENT blocker from the WR position, open up more lanes downfield for Spiller or even Parrish on short routes or screen passes. Not to mention we can get him fairly cheap because of Housh's current contract in seattle that says Seattle has to pay the remainder of his salary that his new team lacks compared to his Seahawk contract....example) if his contract was for 6 million this season, if he signs with us for the Veteran minimum of 850,000 then seattle still has to pay him 5 million bucks this year, not us...win win I think...

Anyone with a serious reason not to pull the trigger on this one?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying we go out and get Houshmanzadeh (who will probably be cut today by the seahawks) just because he is a name. I am saying go and get him because he is a massive target who didnt live up to his hype in Seattle because he didnt catch TD passes, he still has caught over 70 balls every season hes been a starter...that is someone who gets things done. That is a possession receiever that we desperately need on a team of burners at the wideout spot. Housh is also an EXCELLENT blocker from the WR position, open up more lanes downfield for Spiller or even Parrish on short routes or screen passes. Not to mention we can get him fairly cheap because of Housh's current contract in seattle that says Seattle has to pay the remainder of his salary that his new team lacks compared to his Seahawk contract....example) if his contract was for 6 million this season, if he signs with us for the Veteran minimum of 850,000 then seattle still has to pay him 5 million bucks this year, not us...win win I think...

1. If we wanted a possession WR, why didn't we just keep TO?

2. The reason we didn't keep TO is: we need to let our young receivers develop, something having TO kept from happening last year. At the very least we need to see who can do what. We can't spend another year keeping the same people on the roster because they may have potential. For most of them, it's been three years. Time to fish or get cut. Especially when you consider we have a #4 draft pick who is already on the "3 year delay" plan due to already being IRed this year.

3. I don't think another 32 year old WR is going to help us re-build. 32 year old WRs are for teams missing a piece or 2, and therefore, not for us. :bag:

4. The guy just got done "not meeting expectations" in Seattle. So what? Are we going to lower expectations for him and let him come here? Hint: lowering expectations for players has been killing this team, and its fans, for the last 10 years. Enough of this horseschit. Upstate has been steadily lowering expectations for itself, which breeds and rewards incompetence and buffoonery, for far too long. The NFL is the NFL and its standards are universal, therefore, not subject to this jackass, lowering expectation game.

5. We need to think in terms of spending our resources(FA $$$ and draft picks) finding our Andre Reed, since we already have a James Lofton(Lee Evans) on the team. I want a new, young, hall of fame potential WR, or I want to be giving somebody a chance at being that guy, instead of getting a journeyman to go through the motions = Housh.

6. Based on how things have gone with this coaching staff, we want our young offense to be together, learn together, and grow together. Because if they can do that, there's little doubt they are going to be very good. TJ is on his way out, and we don't need anymore "veteran leadership". We have a veteran leader: Lee Evans. Done.

Enough reasons? I am sure if I spent another 5 minutes, I could think of more :D

1. If we wanted a possession WR, why didn't we just keep TO?

2. The reason we didn't keep TO is: we need to let our young receivers develop, something having TO kept from happening last year. At the very least we need to see who can do what. We can't spend another year keeping the same people on the roster because they may have potential. For most of them, it's been three years. Time to fish or get cut. Especially when you consider we have a #4 draft pick who is already on the "3 year delay" plan due to already being IRed this year.

3. I don't think another 32 year old WR is going to help us re-build. 32 year old WRs are for teams missing a piece or 2, and therefore, not for us. :bag:

4. The guy just got done "not meeting expectations" in Seattle. So what? Are we going to lower expectations for him and let him come here? Hint: lowering expectations for players has been killing this team, and its fans, for the last 10 years. Enough of this horseschit. Upstate has been steadily lowering expectations for itself, which breeds and rewards incompetence and buffoonery, for far too long. The NFL is the NFL and its standards are universal, therefore, not subject to this jackass, lowering expectation game.

5. We need to think in terms of spending our resources(FA $$$ and draft picks) finding our Andre Reed, since we already have a James Lofton(Lee Evans) on the team. I want a new, young, hall of fame potential WR, or I want to be giving somebody a chance at being that guy, instead of getting a journeyman to go through the motions = Housh.

6. Based on how things have gone with this coaching staff, we want our young offense to be together, learn together, and grow together. Because if they can do that, there's little doubt they are going to be very good. TJ is on his way out, and we don't need anymore "veteran leadership". We have a veteran leader: Lee Evans. Done.

Enough reasons? I am sure if I spent another 5 minutes, I could think of more :D

1. TO is NOT a possession receiver...he and Housh are vastly different receivers, Housh has always been a possession guy who runs perfect 5-8 yard quick routes, something our offensive coordinator/head coach has said he wants to focus on...perfect fit for Housh not Owens who prefers those 15 yard routes that dont necessarily force him over the middle every play...like I said, TO wants to be involved in BIG plays, Housh will be fine with his 5 yard catches, THATS what we need

2. Our young receievers can STILL develop with the addition of Housh...adding one piece doesnt force us to forget all our others...there are 4 quarters in every game, and if we use 4 WR sets at all, that leaves plenty of opp for all our receivers to see alot of game action

3. why cant a 32 year old receiver help our team develop? They see a guy who just shows up to work day in and day out and doesnt B word and moan, and focuses on the little things that have made him a pro bowl WR....route running and getting open...something NONE of our WRs have proven they know how to do - and yes this DOES include Lee Evans...sure he gets open when he runs fly routes down the field, NOT ins and crossing routes...Housh gets open (as evident by his 70 plus receptions every year as a starter)

4. He was signed to be a number 1 in Seattle, hes not a number 1...im not lowering expectations, its being realistic with expectations, hes a good number 2 WR, not the number 1....thats it, Seattle misjudged and is now learning that the hard way

5. We have money THIS YEAR to give to him (less than a million probably is what it will require)...that has NOTHING to do with "finding our Andre Reed" haha...Andre Reeds come once in a while...so you are saying we do not improve our team in favor or hoping like hell an Andre Reed falls in our lap? Silly...not to mention we have a potential good WR on injury reserve this year that could be our guy (Easly)

6. I agree with what you said haha...

In short...adding TJ does nothing to detract from the rest...im not saying hes the best WR in the NFL...but he is better than almost all of our current WR's and hes PROVED IT IN THE NFL ON SUNDAYS his entire career....why are we afraid of success?

Why not Housh?

Bills are in Rebuild mode... new coach, staff, young players, switching defenses and different offense...probably finish similar to last year. So...

Why bring in a 10 year vet in while in rebuild mode? That would mean the release of someone... Johnson, Jackson, Nelson, Hardy. And even if they were to release Jackson, the other three are young guys that they want to play to get experience (remember, Gailey gets a mulligan this year). If Housh is here, you're bringing him here to play, not to sit... and if he's playing, the other young guys ain't. That just slows their development. Bad idea

Bottom line... Go with what you invested time and effort in and let the chips fall where the chips fall. Housh ain't worth spit. He's 32 and an injury waiting to happen. If the Bills are going to bring anyone in, bring in a half way decent left tackle.

Why not keep TO? There is your answer.

there was already a report that disputes all of those teams being interested, i will go back and try to find it, but the reasons were Jets and Cards dont need any more WRs...Vikings denied any interest, and the chargers just traded for crayton

anyway, no one is going to trade for a player that is going to be released for sure AND if they trade for him they are stuck with his current salary, instead of opting to sign him when hes released and keep the Hawks' on the hook for the majority of his 2010 salary....would he come to buffalo even if we were interested? That, I do not know...

Why not Housh?

Bills are in Rebuild mode... new coach, staff, young players, switching defenses and different offense...probably finish similar to last year. So...

Why bring in a 10 year vet in while in rebuild mode? That would mean the release of someone... Johnson, Jackson, Nelson, Hardy. And even if they were to release Jackson, the other three are young guys that they want to play to get experience (remember, Gailey gets a mulligan this year). If Housh is here, you're bringing him here to play, not to sit... and if he's playing, the other young guys ain't. That just slows their development. Bad idea

Bottom line... Go with what you invested time and effort in and let the chips fall where the chips fall. Housh ain't worth spit. He's 32 and an injury waiting to happen. If the Bills are going to bring anyone in, bring in a half way decent left tackle.

again, please read my previous posts...bringin in Housh does not mean ANYONE gets the shaft thats already our WRs (besides Hardy, he will and NEEDS to get cut, he sucks and is injury prone like WOAH)...Housh brings veteran route running and intelligence to our young WRs...no, Lee Evans DOES NOT bring that, Lee Evans runs deep routes, period...they can learn from Housh by example...and just because we bring Housh in does not mean hes immediately our number 2 WR, he probably would see limited game action until week 4 or so when he picks up the offense..and even then, he can play in rotation with all of our WRs...its a win win

Housh is an injury waiting to happen? Hes been injured ONCE in his entire career, in fact hes incredibly durable and CHEAP

Cuz he's one of the biggest ashholes in the league and that's not the kind of veteran leadership I want for a young rebuilding team.

why is he an !@#$? the only things I remember him doing was calling some egotistical radio host " a punk ass white boy" like 5 years back and then this year he was upset with his Madden rankings....haha, why does that make him an !@#$? Especially as you say "one of hte biggest !@#$s in the league" thats a bold statement for someone with two MINOR public incidents...from what I have heard is that hes a great teamate...who cares what he says to radio hosts and madden geeks?

WHY WOULD HE SIGN WITH US?

I honestly cannot see why a guy like this would sign here, unless he had no others options.

WHY WOULD HE SIGN WITH US?

I honestly cannot see why a guy like this would sign here, unless he had no others options.

now THAT is a reason I can live with...haha...unless he sees opportunity to play a one year contract and be a starter here in order to receiever another bigger contract next year?