ESPN's Bill Simmons on Trent Edwards

Dorkington

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100902

30. Trent Edwards, Bills

It's always fun when a QB sucks, but especially when fans are in deep denial and say things like, "If he had time to throw, I think he'd have a chance to be good" (like Bills fans do with Edwards). In general, deep denial is fun. My wife watches "Bachelor Pad" every Monday as I read books and magazines and pop my head up anytime someone's in a bikini. For this week's immunity game, they had everyone answer mean questions about everyone else in the house, one of which was, "Which one of the girls is destined to be a bridesmaid but never a bride?" Everyone picked the show's tramp, Natalie, who did everything but roofie the other guys in the house during the first few episodes. Amazingly, Natalie was blindsided by this and ended up breaking down in the bathroom after the game. My wife (who never tweets except when this stupid show is on) tweeted, "Why do women who act like sluts act shocked and hurt when someone points out that they probably won't get married?" As if we don't know the answer. Come on. Deep denial. It's a dangerous drug.

Ouch!

We've already seen during pre-season what happens when Edwards has both time and playcalling behind him... he looks solid to me. Lets hope the regular season proves Mr. Simmons wrong. :)

Edited by Dorkington

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.g...=simmons/100902

Ouch!

We've already seen during pre-season what happens when Edwards has both time and playcalling behind him... he looks solid to me. Lets hope the regular season proves Mr. Simmons wrong. :)

I have to give it to Bill Simmons because his writing is amusing. That being said, his writing should be left at just that, amusing. He makes some funny observations and quips but his sports knowledge and opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. He is a homer worse than any of us on this board toward Boston-area teams. Again, Simmons is a funny guy, as this article showcases, but his opinion isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

I have to give it to Bill Simmons because his writing is amusing. That being said, his writing should be left at just that, amusing. He makes some funny observations and quips but his sports knowledge and opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. He is a homer worse than any of us on this board toward Boston-area teams. Again, Simmons is a funny guy, as this article showcases, but his opinion isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

I think guys like him who are good at their jobs because they're often reasonably funny just say stuff to try to be funny, and don't really believe what they say, or think much about what they are really saying. They are going for the joke, not the validity of the criticism, and readers should consider that. Easterbrook is like that, too.

I have to give it to Bill Simmons because his writing is amusing.

Simmons, like Rick Reilly, is one of those guys whose writing USED to be amusing.

After awhile, though, you realize that they basically continually recycle the same half-dozen column ideas. Like how comic strips are funny for the first few years and stale thereafter. Or how most bands live off their first few albums for the next 30 years.

Simmons, like Rick Reilly, is one of those guys whose writing USED to be amusing.

After awhile, though, you realize that they basically continually recycle the same half-dozen column ideas. Like how comic strips are funny for the first few years and stale thereafter. Or how most bands live off their first few albums for the next 30 years.

I don't read regularly so I guess I don't get burned out on him. His most recent article about Shaq/James Dolan was pretty funny...BUT THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME :bag:

Edited by tbonestake

I guess the amusement level depends on which team or player is the subject of the amusement. If it is about the Raiders then it is funny, but when it's about the Bills the guy must be a hack.

All the Bills have to do to shut up the trash talk is produce a playoff team. Sportswriters and commentators are bandwagon jumpers. If the Bills ever become relevant again then the tenor of the columns will change.

In the meantime, the trash talking has been accurate until proven otherwise. Denial is a powerful force. Why do the Bills fans seem to predict every year the Bills will be contenders and that the Jets,Dolphins and Pats all stink? Denial of reality.

I think the majority of Bills fans think Edwards is an average QB. The fans that think Edwards is going to break out are the same ones who believe Maybin needs time, Donte is a top 5 safety and Nix walks on water. Every fan base has that.

Simmons is funny but the better comparison would be, the "college break girlfriend". You come home from college on break, your old girlfriend is still hangin around town, you call her up, "hang out" and in the morning as you wake you realize what you did and say, "Did I expect things to change?"

There will be plenty of fans who have that same feeling come week 8 about Trent.

I think the majority of Bills fans think Edwards is an average QB. The fans that think Edwards is going to break out are the same ones who believe Maybin needs time, Donte is a top 5 safety and Nix walks on water. Every fan base has that.

Simmons is funny but the better comparison would be, the "college break girlfriend". You come home from college on break, your old girlfriend is still hangin around town, you call her up, "hang out" and in the morning as you wake you realize what you did and say, "Did I expect things to change?"

There will be plenty of fans who have that same feeling come week 8 about Trent.

Great analogy! The preseason I would imagine is the phone call that goes pretty well. You BS for a little while and you remember why you liked her at one point. Now we are on our way to the local watering hole where she is 'hanging out with her friends'....

Edited by tbonestake

he had another bills reference in the post after tebow as well. it was pretty funny in a sad way i guess.

"That means Tebow is already 80 percent home. Throw in his marquee value and I believe Jacksonville fans and Buffalo fans will be very bitter by December. Of course, at least one Buffalo fan just read that and said: "Wait a second, I'm bitter every December. Are you saying I'm going to be more bitter than usual? Last December I sucker-punched a Jets fan outside Ralph Wilson Stadium just because he seemed a little too proud of his Sanchez jersey, then I ripped off the jersey and repeatedly drove over it with my snowplow as 150 Buffalo fans cheered me on. I'm going to be more bitter than that?" Yes."

Ouch!

And why would Bills fans listen to a guy who dubs himself "The Boston Sports Guy"? He should go back to writing for Jimmy Kimmel, except that Jimmy didn't think he was very funny either! After the Bills whoop the Pats in week three, somebody remind him of that article!!

Total, Total Garbage.

These so called experts picked Buffalo for last place WHY, according to them NO OFFENSIVE LINE and failure to draft a LT #1

Then they have the nerve to state that fans are in denial when they make excuses for a quarterback with no time to throw.

The facts are the facts no matter how you want to write it!

Great analogy! The preseason I would imagine is the phone call that goes pretty well. You BS for a little while and you remember why you liked her at one point. Now we are on our way to the local watering hole where she is 'hanging out with her friends'....

There's an opportunity for a "sack" joke somewhere in this analogy. :lol:

Ouch!

You again Dorkington. There is only room for one dork around her, and thats me!