George Bush is a man who was born on third base

Weren't the years from 97-01 surplus years?

Not really IIRC. Seems like they forgot to add in things like the troops around Iraq, the overflights etc. That wasn't part of the budget. They also left out things like Federal Aid to disaster areas, which always happens and should be accounted for. Social Security was basically added into the general budget (not a federal tax though, according to many Conservatives, to throw a barb their way). So that was a general bonus to federal income at the time. I could be wrong, but that is my recollection.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was only '99 and '00.

But the national debt kept increasing despite the budget surplus, which always made me feel that the surplus was less a real surplus than some sort of accounting trick. Kind-of like my wife saying "I earned $1000 more than I spent the past month" while conveniently forgetting to mention that she borrowed $2k to do that.

Not really IIRC. Seems like they forgot to add in things like the troops around Iraq, the overflights etc. That wasn't part of the budget. They also left out things like Federal Aid to disaster areas, which always happens and should be accounted for. Social Security was basically added into the general budget (not a federal tax though, according to many Conservatives, to throw a barb their way). So that was a general bonus to federal income at the time. I could be wrong, but that is my recollection.

I never really looked into it...just going by picture one on the CBO.

http://www.cbo.gov/

I thought it was only '99 and '00.

But the national debt kept increasing despite the budget surplus, which always made me feel that the surplus was less a real surplus than some sort of accounting trick. Kind-of like my wife saying "I earned $1000 more than I spent the past month" while conveniently forgetting to mention that she borrowed $2k to do that.

nice.

When he is off the teleprompter he doesn't appear to have much knowlege of the subject and his gaffes like the 57 states make him look foolish. Nobody should feel comfortable with the leader of the free world not being knowlegeable and appearing foolish.

Leave him alone. He has an Ivy League degree.

Repeat after me: "There was no such thing as a surplus."

For whatever reason, people like to pretend that George W. Bush is solely responsible for the current mess. The facts don't add up. No matter who was elected President, the recession was going to happen. That doesn't absolve Bush, a fiscal liberal, of his responsibility in furthering the mess.

But there was no surplus. Even freakin' SNL understood that.

I think the real crux here is not that he uses a teleprompter but that he is lost without it.

Oh, so you're more comfortable with a president who would instead ignore his inability to speak coherently in public and just wing it. Someone who speaks from the gut, and produces soundbite after soundbite of pathetically humorous utter stupidity. That's not exactly a revelation.

Oh, so you're more comfortable with a president who would instead ignore his inability to speak coherently in public and just wing it. Someone who speaks from the gut, and produces soundbite after soundbite of pathetically humorous utter stupidity. That's not exactly a revelation.

You truly have a reading comprehension problem. I said the real crux here is not that he uses the teleprompter but that he is lost without it. I'm sure he could speak very well if he knew what he was talking about.

You truly have a reading comprehension problem. I said the real crux here is not that he uses the teleprompter but that he is lost without it. I'm sure he could speak very well if he knew what he was talking about.

No comprehension problem here unless I'm missing something. You're saying he should get rid of the teleprompter and be "lost" during every speech instead of continuing to use the "crutch", no? Kind of like the last guy, who you apparently liked a lot better.

I'll try to break it down further if you're still having trouble.

I believe we can all agree amongst rational thinking people that the Bush and Obama administration (up to now) have both been a complete disaster.

I believe we can all agree amongst rational thinking people that the Bush and Obama administration (up to now) have both been a complete disaster.

agree but with the following nitpicks

1. It should be called the Cheney 78 months/Bush 18 months, administration

2. I wouldn't call either administrations complete disasters, just plain disasters.

3. While we would both call the Obama Administration a disaster I doubt our bones of contention are the same.