I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE SPILLER PICK!!!

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

The one thing that bugs me about the platoon of mediocre backs idea -- its just not true.

All those teams have invested early and often in backs, but because they are perennially good teams, they aren't top 10 picks. They don't spend top ten picks on anyone though because they all win. Not all have worked but...

NE- maroney (1st)

Balt - ray rice (2nd), McGahee (two 3s and a 5), McClain (4)

Colts - addai (1st), brown (1st)

Dallas - felix jones (1) while they had Marion barber (4)

New Orleans - bush (1st - number 2 overall)

All of them have a 1st rounder, besides baltimore and between mcgahee and rice they made a real commitment.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

couple points i don't think i've seen yet:

1.) you can't teach speed. if you watch tape of spiller in college and see what he has done in the pros, defenders cannot catch spiller in the open field.

2.) i don't believe the spiller pick is really a "luxury pick". remember, this is a contract year for lynch and fred jackson is 29. if the bills don't successfully trade lynch, this gives them a full year to pound on lynch, and avoid wear & tear to freddy & CJ. next year, lynch is gone, jackson is 30, and spiller has a full year of experience under his belt.

so, instead of next year debating whether we need to resign lynch or draft some unknown out of college, we have a RB who has a full year of experience in Gailey's system and was rated far and away as the top RB in this year's draft. and spiller doesn't seem to be an a-hole yet either. and if the rest of the team still sucks, we can focus on drafting for one of those other needs while being assured we have one of the most explosive players in the NFL.

Ok, you want to be taken seriously. You say "we should have and could have addressed many more needs in the draft." Sorry, need some specifics here. What did mpl6876 the GM have in mind? Who would you have selected at #9, and if you would have traded, who were your trading partners and upon what basis do you know you could have made the deals? Furthermore, what "need areas" did the Bills fail to address? They needed DL help -- they drafted Troup in the 2nd round and Harrington in the 3rd (and signed Edwards in FA). They needed LB help -- they signed Davis in FA, and drafted Moats and Batten. They needed WR help -- they drafted Easley, and signed Jackson and Nelson. It's pretty clear thus far there were no desirable selections at QB at #9. So they didn't draft an OT -- that seems to be all those of you who say "they failed to address needs" have left. Oh wait -- they did that too (Wang).

]Please, enlighten me. And tell me why drafting a guy who has the potential to SCORE every time he touches the ball is a bad idea for a young QB who needs confidence and a young OL trying to come together on a team that has been HORRID offensively for the past 6-7 years.

First off, I thought about not even replying to your sarcastic response. Nevertheless, I will answer you. Most of the questions cannot be answered because I was not in the draft room. None of us know what transpired in that room. To say I was trying to be or play GM is uncalled for and a cheap shot. I am used to your arrogant, idiotic, and smart ass comments. Yet, your questioning my credibility. Simply put, I would not have taken a running back when we have two solid running backs on the team. I believe my statement has great validity and I stand behind it. I would have done my best to find someone to trade with. I firmly believe the pick could have been traded. The facts indicate the Bills never even considered this a possibility. IMHO, a rebuilding team like the Bills should always be open minded to trades and picking up more draft picks. I would have considered the following players McClain, Davis, Morgan, Buluga, and Williams. I would have liked to see the Bills pick up an extra pick and move down the draft and select one of these available guys. That is the best answer I can give you.

The jury is still out on all of our draft picks this year. None of us know how successful any of these players are going to be. Not even Spiller. Sure he looks great and I am excited to see him on the field. I do believe he will be a successful running back. How successful remains to be seen.

Please, enlighten me. And tell me why drafting a guy who has the potential to SCORE every time he touches the ball is a bad idea for a young QB who needs confidence and a young OL trying to come together on a team that has been HORRID offensively for the past 6-7 years.

First off, I thought about not even replying to your sarcastic response. Nevertheless, I will answer you. Most of the questions cannot be answered because I was not in the draft room. None of us know what transpired in that room. To say I was trying to be or play GM is uncalled for and a cheap shot. I am used to your arrogant, idiotic, and smart ass comments. Yet, your questioning my credibility. Simply put, I would not have taken a running back when we have two solid running backs on the team. I believe my statement has great validity and I stand behind it. I would have done my best to find someone to trade with. I firmly believe the pick could have been traded. The facts indicate the Bills never even considered this a possibility. IMHO, a rebuilding team like the Bills should always be open minded to trades and picking up more draft picks. I would have considered the following players McClain, Davis, Morgan, Buluga, and Williams. I would have liked to see the Bills pick up an extra pick and move down the draft and select one of these available guys. That is the best answer I can give you.

The jury is still out on all of our draft picks this year. None of us know how successful any of these players are going to be. Not even Spiller. Sure he looks great and I am excited to see him on the field. I do believe he will be a successful running back. How successful remains to be seen.

That's a cop-out. He asked you who would you have picked, you say you would have moved down. But it takes two to tango. Would someone have taken the #9 pick off your hands? Certainly. But unless someone is looking to move up you won't get value for the pick. Remember Cleveland the year before trading down and trading down? They had the #5 overall pick, they went home with a center and a bunch of scrubs STers from the NYJ. This "I firmly believe the pick could have been traded" is bull ****. Man up and say who you wanted if it wasn't Spiller. McClain was drafted ahead of our pick tough guy so that one is out. If Davis was your guy then say so. Same goes for Morgan, Bulaga (a terrible pick at #9, IMO), or Williams (ditto this). I wasn't crazy about picking a RB first either but if you really are drafting for value then it's the right pick. Reach for need and you're spinning your wheels. But don't tap dance around the question - man up and call it as you see it.

Edited by Leonidas

a running back with sub 4.4 speed, vision, and unbelievable change of direction skills is much more valuable than any offensive lineman will ever be, and the qbs in this draft (save bradford) were no better than any of the qbs currently on the roster,imo.

many have said that adding a great running back makes the line better, that is true....adding chan gailey makes the line better also.

That's a cop-out. He asked you who would you have picked, you say you would have moved down. But it takes two to tango. Would someone have taken the #9 pick off your hands? Certainly. But unless someone is looking to move up you won't get value for the pick. Remember Cleveland the year before trading down and trading down? They had the #5 overall pick, they went home with a center and a bunch of scrubs STers from the NYJ. This "I firmly believe the pick could have been traded" is bull ****. Man up and say who you wanted if it wasn't Spiller. McClain was drafted ahead of our pick tough guy so that one is out. If Davis was your guy then say so. Same goes for Morgan, Bulaga (a terrible pick at #9, IMO), or Williams (ditto this). I wasn't crazy about picking a RB first either but if you really are drafting for value then it's the right pick. Reach for need and you're spinning your wheels. But don't tap dance around the question - man up and call it as you see it.

I did answer the question! I would have traded the pick , dropped down in the first round and select one of the guys I mentioned. Perhaps, you didn't like my answer but I answered the question.

I did answer the question! I would have traded the pick , dropped down in the first round and select one of the guys I mentioned. Perhaps, you didn't like my answer but I answered the question.

Why dont you just go with the fact that we didnt trade the pick and say who you think we shouldve taken at the 9 spot instead.

So you would have traded down no matter what, potentially getting next to no value for the #9 overall pick? Do you remember Mangini having the worst draft day performance in 2009 since Mike Ditka circa 1999, going home with a center, some bust WR, and a bunch of Jets' scrubs? Oh yeah, Erik Ainge was certainly worth trading down 18 spots.

Technically, yes, you answered the question. I even like the idea of trading down. But in this scenario it's not an answer because you don't know what the market was out there for the pick. I'll tell you what - knowing now who was looking to trade up (San Diego, Philly) and more importantly what they were willing to give up to do so, tell us what trade you would have made and what selection you would have made. Fair?

So you would have traded down no matter what, potentially getting next to no value for the #9 overall pick? Do you remember Mangini having the worst draft day performance in 2009 since Mike Ditka circa 1999, going home with a center, some bust WR, and a bunch of Jets' scrubs? Oh yeah, Erik Ainge was certainly worth trading down 18 spots.

Technically, yes, you answered the question. I even like the idea of trading down. But in this scenario it's not an answer because you don't know what the market was out there for the pick. I'll tell you what - knowing now who was looking to trade up (San Diego, Philly) and more importantly what they were willing to give up to do so, tell us what trade you would have made and what selection you would have made. Fair?

I didn't say that. IMHO, I believe we could have gotten fair value for trading the pick. Of course, nobody here really knows the answer.

I am not going to get into a long drawn out senario of who we could have traded with and for whom and so on ...That is a question none of us can answer with any validity or certainty. So I will not even attempt to anwer that.

My point is I didn't like the pick because we already have two very solid RB's. Sure Spiller looks good and I am very excited to see him play.

Why dont you just go with the fact that we didnt trade the pick and say who you think we shouldve taken at the 9 spot instead.

If we were forced to keep the pick, after the fact, it looks like Spiller is the man we should have picked. Time will tell if that is the correct pick.

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

Hey John,

It is great that you can admit that you were wrong and I hate to gloat but I literally jumped of my couch and screamed in excitement when they drafted CJ! Here's hoping that he maintains his momentum during the regular season. He has a great deal of potential. As for the blame for your opinion, lets charge it to Ted Underhill...:beer:

PS-can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo

First -- sarcasm is my thing. Get over it.

Second -- I see Leonidas and CarolinaBill were finally able to drag it out of you that if the Bills stayed at #9, Spiller appears to have been a pick even you would have made.

Third -- you failed to respond to any of my other points. You certainly ARE trying to play armchair GM by criticizing what the Bills did, and your response is a complete cop out because you don't propose any sort of an alternative other than a vague "I would have done it differently." You propose trading down like it's as simple as Buddy picking up the phone and selecting his preferred spot.

It is so EASY (and lazy) to sit back and critique others when you are not in their shoes. I've done it myself, and it's wrong. At least four times in your various responses to this thread you've used the words "none of us know the answer" or something to that effect, yet you have no problem saying the Bills did it the wrong way. I don't find you to be particularly credible because I still believe you're a troll masquerading as a Bills fan. After the first preseason game you made the ridiculous assertion that Chan Gailey should be embarrassed. That's the kind of statement I'd expect from a troll just trying to rile people up. At least the other overly critical posters around here state their cases with some basis in logic. I may not agree, but I understand where they're coming from and what they would do differently. And they've been around long enough that I KNOW they love the Bills.

I was no fan of selecting a running back before the draft, but once I saw highlights of the guy I was convinced. I was very happy with Spiller on draft day. And now it's nice to see him continue to be electric on the field in the NFL.

I still say Spiller = 2010 version of Gayle Sayers.

I hope he has a better record in the playoffs than Sayers.

Feelin' a lot of love around here lately. Thank you, Die Hard. The old lesson learned here: think before you post. JC's quoted post was neither derogatory nor player bashing. Just sharing a thought-out opinion. No need for the AA-type acknowledgement, just a very good example of posting an opinion that the majority probably doesn't agree with, without raisin' hell..

Go Bills!

The one thing that bugs me about the platoon of mediocre backs idea -- its just not true.

NE- maroney (1st)

Balt - ray rice (2nd), McGahee (two 3s and a 5), McClain (4)

Colts - addai (1st), brown (1st)

Dallas - felix jones (1) while they had Marion barber (4)

New Orleans - bush (1st - number 2 overall)

And which one of these RB's are great? My original point about picking CJ was that we had a very good duo. As good as any that you listed so why spend the pick....well after watching CJ and the way that Chan is using him, he's not any of those guys above, he looks like he has the makings of an all time great.

Feelin' a lot of love around here lately. Thank you, Die Hard. The old lesson learned here: think before you post. JC's quoted post was neither derogatory nor player bashing. Just sharing a thought-out opinion. No need for the AA-type acknowledgement, just a very good example of posting an opinion that the majority probably doesn't agree with, without raisin' hell..

Thanks. As red-assed as I am about the Bills, I love when I'm wrong about something like this! :thumbsup:

PS-can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo

One of my favorites...what kind of name is Poon? :lol:

Please, enlighten me. And tell me why drafting a guy who has the potential to SCORE every time he touches the ball is a bad idea for a young QB who needs confidence and a young OL trying to come together on a team that has been HORRID offensively for the past 6-7 years.

Don't take this as an attempt to "enlighten you" ... it's just my opinion;

While I think you are correct in that C. J. has the potential to score every time he touches the ball, I think you have already convinced yourself that he WILL score every time he touches the ball (or at least a magority of the time). To my way of thinking he also has the potential of losing 2, 5, 10 yards every time he touches the ball, it's not a reflection on what I think his abilities are ... it's a reflection on the rest of the teams abilities. To my way of thinking he has a greater real world potential to more often kill a drive (or at least make it more difficult) than he does of scoring every time he touches the ball.

Only time will tell which is true .... and that time is getting closer and closer every day .... GO BILLS!!!