DirecTV to offer games online without DirecTV sat subscription

Peace

For anyone who cares about copyright law, viruses, or wants a clean stream to all the games, DirecTV is offering its NFL Ticket online to everyone for the first time this year. $350 for all the games streamed live to your PC. You do not need the DirecTV dish (which is good, if like me, you can't get DirecTV where you live).

I have done the streaming thing before for DirecTV and it's amazingly good. Not as good as watching in HD, but almost never cuts out and quality is solid. Better than the B&W TV I used to watch in 1978.

DirecTV starts offering this for sale on Sept 8. Here's the link.

Edited by Peace

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who cares about copyright law, viruses, or wants a clean stream to all the games, DirecTV is offering its NFL Ticket online to everyone for the first time this year. $350 for all the games streamed live to your PC. You do not need the DirecTV dish (which is good, if like me, you can't get DirecTV where you live).

I have done the streaming thing before for DirecTV and it's amazingly good. Not as good as watching in HD, but almost never cuts out and quality is solid. Better than the B&W TV I used to watch in 1978.

http://www.directv.c...online/overview

Bad link, Peace.

http://www.directv.c...online/overview

That's some good info, Peace.

Bumping it to keep it up there.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/nflstonline/overview

Fixed that link for you :thumbsup:

As a longtime DTV and Sunday Ticket subscriber who has used online viewing regularly for the past several years, I completely agree with the OP. If you can't get (or don't want) a satellite dish this is a great way to enjoy the Ticket.

On Sundays I typically have my main TV tuned to the Bills while my laptop is streaming the Red Zone channel or another game I'm interested in.

As a longtime DTV and Sunday Ticket subscriber who has used online viewing regularly for the past several years, I completely agree with the OP. If you can't get (or don't want) a satellite dish this is a great way to enjoy the Ticket.

On Sundays I typically have my main TV tuned to the Bills while my laptop is streaming the Red Zone channel or another game I'm interested in.

They are also bragging about HD download capability...not sure what that means but I assume they mean they will have more than just the two video stream capabilities this year.

Once it's up and running, I'll bump the thread. And after the first game, I'll post a review of the software. When they first offered this, the software and stream was terrible. Last year, using Microsoft Silverlight, it was really good. Almost never froze and the quality of the vid was excellent (even if the team was not!). Not HD excellent but not painful either.

I watch the games on a Mac BTW, so I assume this will continue to be Mac-compatible this year although I am not sure until the season starts.

Edited by Peace

Very tempting. But the price makes me hesitate. That's a stiff price to watch a stream of a TV broadcast that is still loaded up with annoying commercials. I'll see how I feel about this as we get close to the opener.

From what I've read, it's not that easy either -- you have to prove that you can't get DirecTV service (ie: no balcony, no view of the sky, etc).. I'm not sure how diligent they'll be on checking that though... Or how it can even be "proven."

From what I've read, it's not that easy either -- you have to prove that you can't get DirecTV service (ie: no balcony, no view of the sky, etc).. I'm not sure how diligent they'll be on checking that though... Or how it can even be "proven."

That's not true according to DirecTV. They specifically state that you don't need to have a DirecTV satellite and service subsrciption to use it and there are no other requirements.

Edited by Peace

If that's the case, then forget it. It's already overpriced. If they want me to beg them to take my money, they can take a flying !@#$ at a rolling donut.

Is it possible for more than one computer to log in and watch games (ie I watch game in York PA and Brother watches same game in North Carolina)?

thanks

Updated: Found the answer myself under the Q&A (Didnt notice the tab at first):

You can only be logged in to NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ To-Go on one device at a time. If you want to switch from one device to another, log out of your first device. If you get an error message after logging out of the first device, please wait 30 seconds and try again.
Edited by gflande1

Is it possible for more than one computer to log in and watch games (ie I watch game in York PA and Brother watches same game in North Carolina)?

thanks

Updated: Found the answer myself under the Q&A (Didnt notice the tab at first):

You found the answer but for everyone else: No. That would defeat the moneymaking purpose. This is a substitute to the satellite, not a way to circumvent the law!

That's not true according to DirecTV. They specifically state that you don't need to have a DirecTV satellite and service subsrciption to use it and there are no other requirements.

It's a big vague. Engadget reports that you have to verify you can't get DirecTV:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/23/directv-to-offer-sunday-ticket-online-in-hd-to-non-subscribers/

And the top line of DirecTV page talking about the service says, "Can't get DIRECTV? No problem."

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/nflstonline/overview

But I would've expected to see something in the FAQ, and there isn't. So I'm not sure...

As for the quality, I'm assuming it's the same as the streaming they've given customers for the past few years, and if so (why wouldn't it be?), the PQ is excellent.

Hmm. I dunno Fez...the DirecTV site is silent as to that requirement. I am fortunate (or UN, as tha case actually is). The installers have been out 5x, as recently as last week. I have no line of sight.

couldn't someone just state that they travel a lot since DSS is pushing a mobile app? that should justify it but i agree, i hate to have to beg for something i'm paying good money for.

Hmm. I dunno Fez...the DirecTV site is silent as to that requirement. I am fortunate (or UN, as tha case actually is). The installers have been out 5x, as recently as last week. I have no line of sight.

Do you put in a request for them to reposition the satellites? I heard their customer service is outstanding!