The Sound (and benefit) of Slience

Peace

I find this article more and more true...as I get sucked down the tech rabbit hole deeper.

Cellphones, which in the last few years have become full-fledged computers with high-speed Internet connections, let people relieve the tedium of exercising, the grocery store line, stoplights or lulls in the dinner conversation.

The technology makes the tiniest windows of time entertaining, and potentially productive. But scientists point to an unanticipated side effect: when people keep their brains busy with digital input, they are forfeiting downtime that could allow them to better learn and remember information, or come up with new ideas.

Ms. Bates, for example, might be clearer-headed if she went for a run outside, away from her devices, research suggests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/technology/25brain.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Today - an average day - I will use, in two different locations, four different computers, three telephones (one a PDA), two MP3 player, a Kindle, and maybe watch some television.

Not a day goes by that I don't at least ask myself once "What the hell am I doing???"

Today - an average day - I will use, in two different locations, four different computers, three telephones (one a PDA), two MP3 player, a Kindle, and maybe watch some television.

Not a day goes by that I don't at least ask myself once "What the hell am I doing???"

you and me both, brother. im constantly plugged into the grid, and have been actually FEELING the need to unplug grow more and more each day. its why i swore of the technology biz once already, and those were the best 3 years out of the past 12. didnt even have my own computer, compared to living in the TRON world i do now.

I very rarely get (make) the chance, but I really enjoy just looking up at the sky. It's quite peaceful just watching clouds go by and slowly change shape. Or better yet--if you find yourself in a dark place on a clear night--looking up at the stars. If I go too long without some moments of quiet solitude, I can feel my self start to come apart and become a rather ornery gringo.

you and me both, brother. im constantly plugged into the grid, and have been actually FEELING the need to unplug grow more and more each day. its why i swore of the technology biz once already, and those were the best 3 years out of the past 12. didnt even have my own computer, compared to living in the TRON world i do now.

and barely an hour after i typed this im sitting here, giddy as can be, because i just got the new netflix app which allows me to access their entire instant library right on my phone. streaming season 1 LOST now in HD. god help me.

Tell me about it. I go downstairs where we have no TV to read. What do I bring with me, my blackberry with emails and internet. I never get more than a page read but boy I sure know who's emailing me and what's going on here. :wallbash: Just !@#$ing shoot me.

and barely an hour after i typed this im sitting here, giddy as can be, because i just got the new netflix app which allows me to access their entire instant library right on my phone. streaming season 1 LOST now in HD. god help me.

Now this is the thing I don't get. Everyone went crazy and bought these big ass flat screens but they watch TV on their computers and phones. :unsure:

I may be the last person in CT without a cellphone. Yep, it's inconvenient sometimes but I'll trade it for a little more sanity and not having people calling every 5 minutes just to ask where I am and what I'm doing. I am very much a 'Leave me the ---- alone" person.

I was camping in Northern NY, edge of the Adirondack park for July 4th weekend. Nearest cell signal was 10 miles down the road. I was enjoying my time just sitting around camp, watching nature, reading, while others would take a trip or two each day down the road to check their phones/emails/etc.

I was camping in Northern NY, edge of the Adirondack park for July 4th weekend. Nearest cell signal was 10 miles down the road. I was enjoying my time just sitting around camp, watching nature, reading, while others would take a trip or two each day down the road to check their phones/emails/etc.

My favorites are the ones who set in a campsite all day staring at their portable DVD player. Why are you people here? :wallbash:

I may be the last person in CT without a cellphone. Yep, it's inconvenient sometimes but I'll trade it for a little more sanity and not having people calling every 5 minutes just to ask where I am and what I'm doing. I am very much a 'Leave me the ---- alone" person.

My wife doesn't have one either and will probably never get one.

maybe the funniest part of this thread is the irony that the discussion is happening on an internet message board

Where else would we talk? :unsure:

Edited by Chef Jim

I very rarely get (make) the chance, but I really enjoy just looking up at the sky. It's quite peaceful just watching clouds go by and slowly change shape. Or better yet--if you find yourself in a dark place on a clear night--looking up at the stars. If I go too long without some moments of quiet solitude, I can feel my self start to come apart and become a rather ornery gringo.

Is the sky still there?