Chan Gailey admonishes a group of fans

Guest dog14787

Anyways, Tim Graham has now added his take on the Gailey versus Teenage Hecklers incident:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/26542/chan-gailey-wont-tolerate-bills-insults

Very interesting comments:

"Too many times I've seen fans ride a player unmercifully from the stands only to turn into trembling fawns when the player comes to the rail to sign an autograph or pose for a picture. It's a safe assumption the same fans who grow Internet muscles when they post anonymously on a message board would go scrambling for a Sharpie if they knew they might get to meet the same player they've been ripping online.

A reporter asked Gailey whether he might regret telling the fans what he thought.

"No," Gailey replied. "In my opinion, if you do something you tell people why. When we make a decision with our football team, I tell them why. I told [the players] why we weren't going to [sign autographs], and I told [the fans] why we weren't going over there."

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the first one out of my seat cheering when he plays well. It just doesn't happen enough for my liking and I don't have much hope he will improve. I hope he does, but it would definitely surprise me.

As someone else posted, whenever I say something negative about Trent, it is in response to someone else who is over effusive with undeserved praise for him.

Fair enough.

Anyways, Tim Graham has now added his take on the Gailey versus Teenage Hecklers incident:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/26542/chan-gailey-wont-tolerate-bills-insults

Very interesting comments:

"Too many times I've seen fans ride a player unmercifully from the stands only to turn into trembling fawns when the player comes to the rail to sign an autograph or pose for a picture. It's a safe assumption the same fans who grow Internet muscles when they post anonymously on a message board would go scrambling for a Sharpie if they knew they might get to meet the same player they've been ripping online.

A reporter asked Gailey whether he might regret telling the fans what he thought.

"No," Gailey replied. "In my opinion, if you do something you tell people why. When we make a decision with our football team, I tell them why. I told [the players] why we weren't going to [sign autographs], and I told [the fans] why we weren't going over there."

And now additional stuff:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5492834

"Gailey targeted those fans for spending part of the two-hour workout getting on quarterback Trent Edwards, who's attempting to reclaim the starting job he lost last season.

One fan called out for Edwards to prepare to lose his job to third-stringer Brian Brohm. Edwards also was targeted for his haircut -- he's grown out his hair and sideburns -- and for being a native Californian. The group of fans -- part of a crowd that numbered more than 1,000 -- did not say anything back to Gailey, and had dispersed shortly afterward."

Funny. The exact same sort of moronic behavior we see here every day.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

!@#$ Him. Trent sucks and the fans are sick of his ass being on the field let alone this team. If a team sucks or a player sucks its every fans right to boo or heckle or whatever. If Gailey doesn't like it, then do something about it, get a real god damn QB in here and start winning some ball games.

How about walking into Larry Quinn's and Darcy Regier's office and booing them?

!@#$ them.

!@#$ them.

Yeah, out of the two franchises in Buffalo, let's boo the one that usually makes the playoffs. That's perfectly reasonable.

Back on topic: Chan was in the right here. His no-nonsense style is great.

Edited by McGee

I would not personally go to practice and boo. And I would imagine that for the teenagers who were harrassing Trent, it had little to do with his specific performance in that day's practice but more to do with his overall lack of QB talent and the fan's frustration that Trent is atop the depth chart at QB. He is more than anything, a symbol of how bad the Bills QB situation is and the fans are lashing out at him. That is really my point. I am not really defending the behavior of these teenagers. I am more so criticizing Chan for feeling it necessary to address it. The point that Trent sucks and deserves to be heckled and criticized is beside the point.

OK/

So you are not then as Mad as your moniker would lead one to believe. :flirt:

Why is Gailey sticking up for his team a bad thing?

We have great fans, but the Bills fans aren't "The Best." Steelers fans are. They travel better than any other fan base in the NFL.

I'm not sure if Steeler fans actually 'travel' anymore than other fans. After many foundries and industries closed in the Pennsylvania area, many workers were displaced and sought jobs elsewhere spreading Steeler fans all over the country.

I understand your point though....there ARE Steeler fans everywhere!

!@#$ them.

How about you quit acting like a teenaged heckler? You're a bad reflection on your parents and I pray that you don't breed any offspring.

The world doesn't really need any more stupid, vulgar idiots. Just my observation.

Thanks for adding to the discussion. !@#$ them? That's great. I can just imagine your take on matters of great importance. Do me a favor…don't breed and also, don't register to vote please.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

!@#$ Him. Trent sucks and the fans are sick of his ass being on the field let alone this team. If a team sucks or a player sucks its every fans right to boo or heckle or whatever. If Gailey doesn't like it, then do something about it, get a real god damn QB in here and start winning some ball games.

I was there for two sessions last week. There were about 3 idiot teenagers heckling Trent then too - probably the same 3 morons. I almost went down to tell them to shut up myself but had my family with me and decided not to.

DARTH, normally I agree with your premise that the fans have a right to express their displeasure, but keep in mind this is a free practice session, not an actual game. The Bills could close the thing if people are disruptive - not saying they would or that it would be smart - I'm saying the fans' "right" in this case is not nearly so clear.

As for your own tireless (and tiresome for the rest of us) obsessive whining about Edwards, honestly, think of something else - you've become an adjective and a punchline around here, rather than a valued contributor.

Anyone who has watched them last fall or this summer can't really be serious thinking Edwards is worse than Brohm - certainly not so much so that heckling the team over the coach's choice makes any sense.

Edited by BobChalmers

You know it lets the players know the coach is on their side. For a change the coach isn't a pu$$y who will let just any old stupid thing go on with his team. I like the attitude.

I will give him this; at least he didn't approach the hecklers and say, "It's hard to throw a football in the NFL..."

Yes...so can we FINALLY now put the stupid "hes wearing gloves becuase hes afraid of the cold" claptrap to rest?

Why is it manly for every player other than the QB to wear gloves all season? Isn't he the only one handling the ball on every play? Can't he decide if it's in his best interest to use a glove for better grip?

This is the dumbest criticism ever leveled against a QB.

This tells me that panic is starting to set in for Chan.

You cannot tell me that today was the first day that people were heckling Trent. He is terrible. He is difficult to watch because as soon as there is any pressure, he folds quicker than Drew Bledsoe.

To me, it is pathetic that Chan lashed out at the fans in this manner. The fans have a right to criticize and heckle players who are not performing well. It does not mean the fans don't wish the player was performing better, it just means that they care about the team and accept crappy play.

This really is concerning to me. Chan is clearly feeling the pressure now that it is getting closer to naming a starter. None of the QBs have stepped up and he is stuck with Trent. Now he is furiously defending his ugly girlfriend.

SAD. Really SAD.

i think chan didn't go far wnough with these dickwads...he and trent should go down to where these guys work and knock them garbage cans outta their hands.

I was there for two sessions last week. There were about 3 idiot teenagers heckling Trent then too - probably the same 3 morons. I almost went down to tell them to shut up myself but had my family with me and decided not to.

DARTH, normally I agree with your premise that the fans have a right to express their displeasure, but keep in mind this is a free practice session, not an actual game. The Bills could close the thing if people are disruptive - not saying they would or that it would be smart - I'm saying the fans' "right" in this case is not nearly so clear.

As for your own tireless (and tiresome for the rest of us) obsessive whining about Edwards, honestly, think of something else - you've become an adjective and a punchline around here, rather than a valued contributor.

Anyone who has watched them last fall or this summer can't really be serious thinking Edwards is worse than Brohm - certainly not so much so that heckling the team over the coach's choice makes any sense.

Amen+++1