Chan Gailey admonishes a group of fans

Guest dog14787

The fans have every right to B word, but I respect and enjoy the fact that Chan was willing to demonstrate actively in front of the team that he has their back...

That's the kind of guy I want around... (Let's just hope he wins and we see more of what we did last time out)

Yeah nice that Gailey 'has their backs' but, honestly, who the !@#$ does Chan think he is...

???? :unsure:

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This tells me that panic is starting to set in for Chan.

You cannot tell me that today was the first day that people were heckling Trent. He is terrible. He is difficult to watch because as soon as there is any pressure, he folds quicker than Drew Bledsoe.

To me, it is pathetic that Chan lashed out at the fans in this manner. The fans have a right to criticize and heckle players who are not performing well. It does not mean the fans don't wish the player was performing better, it just means that they care about the team and accept crappy play.

This really is concerning to me. Chan is clearly feeling the pressure now that it is getting closer to naming a starter. None of the QBs have stepped up and he is stuck with Trent. Now he is furiously defending his ugly girlfriend.

SAD. Really SAD.

I think this is a SAD mischaracterization of what happened. I've never gottent he impression from Chan that any pressure has gotten to him yet. I think it was probably a calculated move on his part to do it on the last day of training camp and was probably more for the team than anything else.

Guest dog14787

I just texted my wife and asked if she saw/heard anything. She said she heard some people being pretty loud but couldn't make out what they were saying. Then saw Gailey over there and did notice her area had lots of players after practice while the "prime" area with the hecklers had none.

She also said my 9 year old daughter, a Trent fan, was closer and apparently heard at least some of it. And told her Mom she was going to go tell the 'jerks' to shut up or go home. My wife stopped her, but knowing her I'm sure she would have.

But she now has a Trent autograph on a football and on her Trent jersey so she is a happy camper :)

Awesome Codemonkey, fans like your daughter are exactly why If you don't have anything better to say then don't say it, and allow the folks around you, especially the younger more impressionable spectators, to have a good time.

Edited by dog14787

Not such a big deal to me all the way around.

1) The fans heckling are probably a little silly...doesn't really seem the place for it. I suppose if you really care about the Bills and you really think that Brohm over Trent is a crucial decision that not waiting for the season to start and expressing that opinion in any venue possible is fine.

2) Chan didn't attempt to silence or censor the fans. He merely indicated that their insults of one player were insulting to the whole team, which I think is a positive, and that they would not be doing something nice for the section where the insults were coming from.

Seems reasonable and not a huge scandal. No freedom of speech issue here, no egging someone's house, etc.

:thumbsup: Agreed. Like it or not, Edwards is the QB and Leach isn't the coach. This is what we have, so let's work with it.

But, here's the thing, we don't have to like it. Yes, Trent is currently the QB. But he sucks and I don't like it. I will let express my dislike for him every chance I get. That does not diminish the fact that I am a diehard Bills fan. I love the team and want them to be successful. I really don't like Trent Edwards and wish he were not on my team. I am rooting for him to be successful and will cheer when he does something well, but I will also boo at him and complain about him when he does something bad.

MADDOG (let's hope the name does not indicate your demeanor),

This is not about 'rights'. You have the right to p!$$ your pants in public and act like nothing happened. Does that mean that you do it? Acting stupidly is not 'freedom'.

What is at issue here, is why would you go to a PRACTICE setting and expect regular season results? Heck, why would you expect anything? It's PRACTICE. That is moronic. Practice has nothing....NOTHING to do with performance. As Edwards, Gailey, etc have all said they are working on the fundamentals of football in order to improve the football team. One does not improve by being 'perfect'. And how do you think one does get better, anyways?

Chan is not panicking. If he was panicking, he would be listening to the boneheads who- as has been rightfully observed- were guests of the Bills. He would hear the jeers of the morons, take it as sage advice, and bench Edwards. Gailey, as the head coach of the Bills, acted like one. He set the tone and led by example that you mess with one, you mess with all. That's the formation of what I like to refer to as a SPINE. Something the Bills have not had in over 10 years.

+1 :thumbsup: Well said sir i agree 100%

!@#$ Him. Trent sucks and the fans are sick of his ass being on the field let alone this team. If a team sucks or a player sucks its every fans right to boo or heckle or whatever. If Gailey doesn't like it, then do something about it, get a real god damn QB in here and start winning some ball games.

!@#$ you. Fans such as yourself are the main reason why this team hasn't done anything in a decade. You dont have an ounce of patience and you don't have anything better to do on a Wednesday except drive to Rochester and heckle Edwards probably in front of kids.

Who do you like on this team? If you were in charge you would probably try to dump the whole team and start from scratch. In reality the NFL just doesn't work like that. It's not the John Madden Playstation game.

The Bills could have drafted a QB but didn't. Trent Edwards was the only thing available to give us a decent chance of winning now. Get over it

My point is that Chan should be focusing on turning Trent into something other than a crappy QB or finding a suitable replacement rather than lashing out at the fans. The timing of this episode just gives me the feeling than Chan is feeling the heat. None of his QBs are performing well enough. I still think putting Trent at the top of the pecking order was a stunt intended up pushing the other 2 to perform better. I don't honestly believe that a man who has been around professional football as long as Gailey can honestly believe Trent is a viable NFL starter. The problem is that his bluff failed. Now he is stuck with Trent and he is cracking under the pressure.

I promise you I will be heckling Trent on Saturday if he performs poorly just as I will cheer for him in the unlikely event that he does something exciting. He had a decent game last week, lets hope he keeps it up. If he doesn't, he's going to hear it and so will Chan.

But your word on Trent is law, right? So what NFL team did you last work for in the personnel department?

Guest dog14787

But, here's the thing, we don't have to like it. Yes, Trent is currently the QB. But he sucks and I don't like it. I will let express my dislike for him every chance I get. That does not diminish the fact that I am a diehard Bills fan. I love the team and want them to be successful. I really don't like Trent Edwards and wish he were not on my team. I am rooting for him to be successful and will cheer when he does something well, but I will also boo at him and complain about him when he does something bad.

We're really not just talking about your typical cheering or booing though are we,

Edited by dog14787

Thats fair

I agree completely. I have not liked everything the Bills have done over the past 10 years and I have no problem saying so here as well as other places. But there is a time and a place for everything. And heckling a player at the open practice today was neither the right time or the right place.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Comments like that, does little to prove your point.

So, you honestly expect him to win in practice? There's no game being played, but if he isn't 100%, unbelievably accurate on every pass, running every play to perfection, timing is absolutely impeccable....

Based on that mindset, Trent shouldn't even have to practice. He should just be perfect, show up on Sunday, and play.

Do I have your thinking right?

I would not personally go to practice and boo. And I would imagine that for the teenagers who were harrassing Trent, it had little to do with his specific performance in that day's practice but more to do with his overall lack of QB talent and the fan's frustration that Trent is atop the depth chart at QB. He is more than anything, a symbol of how bad the Bills QB situation is and the fans are lashing out at him. That is really my point. I am not really defending the behavior of these teenagers. I am more so criticizing Chan for feeling it necessary to address it. The point that Trent sucks and deserves to be heckled and criticized is beside the point.

I'm not signing any autographs for you, because, frankly, you are annoying...as tired as you are of Trent Edwards on the Bills, I am tired of your endless repetition of the same thing, over, and over, and over, and over, and over again... give it a rest for a while, huh? We get it, you hate Trent Edwards...

+ 101

Personally, I would hope Trent Edwards is not on the field focused on a section of fans heckling him while practicing. Gailey hears it on the sidelines, so that's why he's addressing it, and not Edwards. Good for Chan. Yes, I do wish Edwards was as fiery as Kelly or Flutie, but he's not. He hasn't done anything to lose his job, so whether Bills fans like it or not, he is our QB for now. Brohm, I hope, will be #2 after all is said and done. As far as the dude showing off his hatred for Edwards, he's still mad that his homeboy, Sam Bradford is not in Buffalo. Next year is probably the year we draft a QB, and it'll probably be with the first pick. It's going to be a long 2010.

When does the Sabres season start?

:blink:

Did you watch any football last year? Trent most certainly has done enough to lose the job already, and many of us are increasingly perplexed by a new head coach who seems to think this is a clean slate.

If you took over a football team and the owner signed Jeff George to be the QB, would just watch practice and say "gee, he seems good. Nice strong arm." and ignore all of the game film available on him from the past that would show you he sucks??

Because that is what Chan is doing right now, relying entirely on practice and not watching last year's film to know this guy can't play.

And I guarantee it is going to cost us the first half of this season again. Then Trent will get pulled or injured, we'll be something like 2 - 6, and Brohm or Fitz will lead us on a run that will fall just short of the playoffs and everyone will wonder why those guys didn't start from the beginning.

I just can't believe there are people here who are not seeing this.

!@#$ you. Fans such as yourself are the main reason why this team hasn't done anything in a decade.

I think you are grasping at straws with your second sentence. This team hasn't done anything in a decade because of poor hiring decisions at the top, poor hiring decisions by a past GMs, poor hiring decisions by past head coaches, poor draft day decisions by the aforementioned group of clown, poor FA decisions by same aforementioned group of clowns and on and on and on.

Don't give the lunatic fringe sooooooo much credit.

Edited by Beerball

I just texted my wife and asked if she saw/heard anything. She said she heard some people being pretty loud but couldn't make out what they were saying. Then saw Gailey over there and did notice her area had lots of players after practice while the "prime" area with the hecklers had none.

She also said my 9 year old daughter, a Trent fan, was closer and apparently heard at least some of it. And told her Mom she was going to go tell the 'jerks' to shut up or go home. My wife stopped her, but knowing her I'm sure she would have.

But she now has a Trent autograph on a football and on her Trent jersey so she is a happy camper :)

Well, there is a waste of a perfectly good football.

Just kidding. Good for her. Thats really what training camp is for. I am taking my 8yr old son to the game on Sat. He's excited. He likes Spiller and Marshawn.

Man I have to say The Chan has just about won me over. He is sooo old school. He is protecting his players while they practice. It's one thing to heckle during the games, that ok. But harassing them during practice is another. I don't think that's fair to Trent or any other bills player during practice.

No way Jauron does anything like that.

Get em Chan, good job. :)B-)