Tail Gate foods (recipies )

mikef292004

ok, just brainstorming here... A couple of ideas.

1. (Ambitious Idea) Come up with a cookbook that could be ordered through mypublisher or some sort of online book place. Each recipe would have to be made once and an awesome photo would need to be taken. We could sell the books at cost or tack on something for charity. Or we could try and do a PDF version and make it free or a nominal charge for charity.

2. (Less ambitious) Make a new forum where every thread is a new recipe, alphabetized, and a photo included with each.

thoughts?

Perhaps something even less ambitious, but more general purpose. You have a "Tailgating Central" section, but there isn't a forum in there dedicated to tailgating at home Bills games. If you created a forum there for that purpose, you could have recipe threads along with various other discussions related to tailgating at home games.

3. (Don't reinvent the wheel) Fezmid had a cookbook forum some years back. Presuming it wasn't lost in the crash of 20 ought ?? or that Fez had a back-up start there and add any non duplicates to it.

That was a piece of unmaintained software I had on TBD that turned into a HUGE security hole and I had to close it down. Although many of the recipes can be found on archive.org it isn't in any realistically accessible form.

Perhaps something even less ambitious, but more general purpose. You have a "Tailgating Central" section, but there isn't a forum in there dedicated to tailgating at home Bills games. If you created a forum there for that purpose, you could have recipe threads along with various other discussions related to tailgating at home games.

Well, there are two separate things there. An idea for the Tailgating and the recipes. I think having really long threads with no pics is marginally useful. Why not kick it up a notch and just organize it a bit?

Why is it no one wants me to be a millionaire?

Take a foil pan on grill with 1/2 stick of butter and Peppers and Onions, cook until soft, fill the pan with beer and add the brats or sausage, boil for 45 mins or so, finish the meat on the grill to char it up a bit.

My other favorite is Jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, put em on skewers and grill until the bacon is cooked. Wear gloves when working with the peppers or you'll fry your hands. Take the seeds out or they will be crazy hot. If you need to cool them more (wuss), toss in boiling water for a minute.

1. (Ambitious Idea) Come up with a cookbook that could be ordered through mypublisher or some sort of online book place. Each recipe would have to be made once and an awesome photo would need to be taken. We could sell the books at cost or tack on something for charity. Or we could try and do a PDF version and make it free or a nominal charge for charity.

2. (Less ambitious) Make a new forum where every thread is a new recipe, alphabetized, and a photo included with each.

thoughts?

I like Option 1 though option 2 is good also.

3. (Don't reinvent the wheel) Fezmid had a cookbook forum some years back. Presuming it wasn't lost in the crash of 20 ought ?? or that Fez had a back-up start there and add any non duplicates to it.

I would be nice if some or all of the recipes could be retrieved from the first effort.

Ummm... yes there is....

Tailgate East Forum

We may concentrate on the TBD Home Opener there, but a lot of the info, maps, hotels, etc, work for any home game.

thoughts?

Like both ideas, although in (1) I think I like the PDF idea better (maybe because I have no idea what mypublisher is or the work involved).

Thanks for all the great recipes.If we could do a PDF the could be distributed through emails or downloaded from here that would be Awesome..! Once or twice a year we take the camper to a camp ground not far from my house and there is free cable jacks at each location, so we bring along the TV sit by the fire and watch the game, so not all recipes need to be just for tailgating in the parking lot at the Ralph..We could give a copy of the PDF to all new members that join on here, and in order to be cool and get another buffalo under your name you'd have to add a recipe to the book...LOL

I VOTE YES TO PDF..!

I'd be happy to help organize the recipes and get them printed. I've used Lulu.com before to print a collection of my own short stories and they did a really good job. In order to submit, you need a large PDF, so we'd be able to do both option 1 and 2 at the same time.

An informal forum would probably be a good starting point to gather the information.

We should try to get the information from archive.org as well -- I had a link to it in my sig line, but that seems to be gone after the board change. Scott, can you look up the direct link from the previous board? I'd be happy to start copying them into a new forum to keep them.

Just my $0.02 USD

It would be easier to do the PDF route to get things together. You can publish a book later, if you wish.

If you go the publishing route (Lulu or other), you really need someone who is familiar with the design process to make things look good. The PFRA is starting a publishing branch for our books, so I made sure I had a professional put things together, especially with the cover. The spine width can be tricky and your cover can be shifted if it is not done properly. It all depends on the quality that you want from the final book.

The main thing is that you need someone willing to be the point person that will put everything together.

The main thing is that you need someone willing to be the point person that will put everything together.

I think ti'd be fun and would be willing to do it. I've used Lulu before and it's really not too hard to do.

We could even use the printed version as a fundraiser for TBD instead of charity.

Anyway, I found the cookbook through Archive.org -

http://web.archive.org/web/20060909115847/www.twobillsdrive.com/cookbook/

If you live in Texas, then you know that the 12 hours in the smoker is the only way to go. Let's get that recipe! If for nothing else, well, we can start at 11pm the night before an away game and have folks over to watch on TV.

Okay, here is the non-cheating way to do a brisket.

Dry rub the brisket the night before.

Soak pecan and oak chips the night before in water or whiskey. I used Crown Royal and it was awesome.

-I start with charcoal and get the coals hot using a chimney (no lighter fluid).

-Add soaked wood chips on top of the charcoal.

-Put the brisket in the smoker for 2 1/2 hours away from the fire (indirect heat method). The smoker temperature should be around 225-250 degrees. Do NOT open the cover to look at the brisket because this will drop the temperature dramatically

-Add more smoking chips on top of the coals as needed. There should be a separate cover to the fire box.

-After 2 1/2 hours of smoking, place the brisket onto some aluminum foil shaping the foil like bowl and pour about a cup of apple juice over the brisket into the bowl shaped aluminum foil. Cover with another piece of foil and pinch the sides creating an airtight seal. I double wrap in aluminum foil.

-Keep the brisket away from the heat and keep the fire at about 225-250 for an additional 10 hours by adding charcoal periodically to maintain the temperature.

-The brisket should be tender to a fork. Take it out of the foil (I cover both side of the brisket with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce) and char both sides of the brisket directly over the heat. You may have to get your fire hotter by adding more charcoal.

-Rest for 20 minutes and slice across the grain.

Anyone got any "different" recipes for tail gating..? All is welcome but please don't reply with "cheeseburger" or Potatoes Salad", I need a little more depth than that.. I'm a good "outdoor" cooker, so I can probably figure it out with little detail, but please put enough to understand the concept of it..

P.S. - Sorry this is not the usual Bills player bashing thread, but I'd rather use my time in a positive way..

I have another recipe that is easy and should impress all the folks in Buffalo! Usually this is done with grilled corn on the cob but for a party it is much easier to use frozen corn. If you want grill a few cobs of corn and cut off the kernels adding to the frozen corn. This is what you add to the corn:

1)Butter

2)Crema Mexicana (or Creme Fraiche)

3)Crumbled Queso Fresco

3)Chili Powder or cayenne pepper

Mix the butter and Crema Mexicana into the corn. Use enough to coat the corn generously. Not like a soup. Then, crumble the Queso Fresco over the top of the corn. Sprinkle Chili Powder on top. If you don't want to put chili powder on the whole plate, each individual could add it to their own serving according to their taste.

This is easy, delicious and will impress the folks in the northeast.

Ok, I added a forum for this - as this will make it easy to organize. The way it is setup is that the forum will list topics by alphabetical order. Make one recipe per topic. If at all possible - include a photograph if you can. Or someone else who makes it should post one. Obviously, that might take some time get around to it...

http://forums.twobil...cookbook-forum/