QB rotation for Bengals game

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if Gailey is truely holding a QB competition then he HAS to get Brohm some reps with the 1s. He was too good last week not to get a chance. That is if its truely a competition....

The 3rd PS game is the one where starters play the most. I would like to see Edwards and Brohm alternate series through the mid 3rd. That would give Brohm the opportunity to win the job, AND put Edwards under a lot of pressure to perform - both are big positives and would help the team moving forward more than just handing the reigns to Edwards

Ideally I would like to see Brohm with the ones. Maybe its out of morbid curiosity but IF the guy is going to be one of your top 2, you may want to see if he makes your first unit better.

Given the Bills' track record for playing it safe and predictible, I imagine that Trent will get all the first snaps, Fitz will come in with the 2nd unit, Brohm will get Qtr 3, and Levi will get the mop up duty. I hope Gailey throws a monkey wrench in there somewhere, which would be CHAN-tastic!

In the end, Trent-Fitz-Brohm-Brown for the 28th.

It seems the "open contest" at QB has been won.

I don't think Chan feels the need to keep it undecided until the Miami game. That being said, Edwards doesn't need to play tons this week because he's seen more time than most starters in the first two games. Since Cincy will likely keep their starters in for the whole half or so, Brohm/Fitzpatrick can still get in some time with/against the ones.

Seems like this is Fitz's last chance to claim a roster spot. Brohm's game #2 was better than Fitz's game#1, but the coaches know there's a difference between playing in that Washington game vs. that Indy game. Even the coaches had a better night against Indy than DC!

It'll be interesting to see what Chan does. Our boys were actually fun to watch against Indy!

Edwards is going to start and play until the Starters go out. Anything after that doesn't matter does it? Brohm didn't start the world on fire last week. Fitz didn't the week before. Brohm's performance doesn't scream play with the starters if you ask me.

He was throwing 5-8 yard patterns. kind of hard not to get the ball there. he didn't throw anything well beyond 10 yards at all.

I'm afraid he did VA...

(1:21) (Shotgun) B.Brohm pass deep right to C.Jackson pushed ob at IND 7 for 26 yards (R.Fisher). Caught along

sideline at IND 10.

Come on now, did you really expect Brohm to replace Aaron Rodgers? And, we did steal him off the practice squad....Green Bay matched the Bills offer, but Brohm came because he tought he would get a better shot at the #1 job here. After Trent crashes and burns (again), he will get that shot! Finally, the big arm that Brohm has is the #1 requirement of a great NFL quarterback....Trent's arm is below average!!!

Not according to Training Camp reports. The majority of the reports had Edwards as the strongest arm in camp.

I suspect we'll see Trent for the entire first half and a drive or 2 in the second half. Then Fitz comes in for a few drives. Then if there's still time Brohm will come in. This competition has been fun, but now we have to get ready for the season. Trent was like the Champ. You gotta knock out the champ and I'm not sure anyone did. A case could be made for any of them.

I think we'll keep all 3 and put Brown on the PS. I don't see anyone picking him up, and even if they do, it's really not that big of a deal. Spread QBs who threw for a ton of yards and TDs in college are a dime a dozen these days.

Maybe I'll be all wrong and Coach Gaily will announce tomorrow that Fitz won the competition and start him Saturday. He did have the most productive first game of anyone. He was the only one of the three to get his team down in the red zone and actually get a TD out of it. A TD pass at that.

Agreed on the rotation. I think Brohm gets to play with the 1st string, 2nd string and 3rd string in the final game to give the coaches a good feel about him. Edwards needs the 3rd game to build more rhythm with the 1st team offense.

As for Borwn, it all depends on how strong the coaching staff feels about him. If they have a strong opinion about him, they are not going to risk leaving him on the PS. He is not ready yet.

"QB update

Buffalo’s head coach said he and his staff know what the quarterback rotation will be for Saturday night’s preseason game against Cincinnati at Ralph Wilson Stadium Saturday evening, but he’s not making those plans public.

Gailey was asked if any of the quarterback’s stock has gone up of late based on performance.

“I can’t see a lot of movement in stock one way or the other because they’ve all done a pretty good job,” said Gailey. “That’s a good thing. Nobody’s moved down. Everybody’s played well when they’ve had the opportunity so that’s been a positive.”

The quarterback rotation has largely remained the same. Trent Edwardscontinues to get twice as many reps as the other two quarterbacks in the open competition, with Brian Brohm and Ryan Fitzpatrick switching off each practice in terms of who follows Edwards in the rotation.

Gailey has stated that he does have a drop dead date on when he intends to name his starting quarterback. He’s choosing not to share that either. When asked if he’s closing in on that decision the Bills head coach said the following.

“I think if we say it’s open, we’ve got to let it play out,” he said. “I wish we could do it today, it would be easier on everybody. We’re still looking at every option that’s available and every direction that we want to go. I think as long as we have that openness about it, then we’re going to make a good decision – even if it doesn’t come until the week of the first game. I don’t want it to go that way but it may be the way it is.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-18/bc0f9b49-5f95-4fd3-b7d0-553a96ec8c68

Check out the scouting report on Drew Brees. See how accurate they were on him.

No offense, but Brian Brohm is not Drew Brees. He is Brian Brohm. And has his own short comings when it comes to NFL style football. An average arm happens to be one of them. His ability to not find the end zone is another. What he did in college is, just that. Maybe it won't ever translate into starting in the NFL. Not trying to knock the guy, but i can't stand when people try to compare apples to oranges. He hasn't proven yet that he was worth a second round pick. That doesn't mean he won't end up being a good Qb.

His (Brohm's) ability to not find the end zone is another. What he did in college is, just that. Maybe it won't ever translate into starting in the NFL.

This is what bothers me about Brohm. I've seen 4 opportunities with the Bills where a good pass may have scored a TD that were blown.

1. The long pass to TO in the EZ against Atlanta that was so short, the DB that was beat on the play was able to catch it by going back and getting it.

2. The pass to the RB Saturday. May have scored. Would have been close.

3. The pass to Chad Jackson down the left sideline. If he had lofted it about 2 yards further Chad would have caught it going away.

4. The pass to the right corner of EZ.

He makes a lot of completions. However, when it's a big one that can get us a TD, he blows it. He's nutting up on the TD throws.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe it's that confidence thing?

He did hit the one on the right sideline to Chad Jackson though. Almost went for a TD. That was a nice play all the way around.

Watching him against the Colts, you can see flashes that show Brohm has a MUCH higher ceiling that Edwards. That doesn't mean anything as of right now, but lets hope that he hits it.

If that's the case I think Fitzpatrick is the odd man out of here! That's fine with me! Personally I would've just kept Brohm & Brown and picked up a FA and traded for a QB.

If that's the case I think Fitzpatrick is the odd man out of here! That's fine with me! Personally I would've just kept Brohm & Brown and picked up a FA and traded for a QB.

Great, let's get rid of a guy who when he played last year on a disaster of a team,the Bills win 5 out of 9. And a guy who in his pre season game got 2 TDs and threw a nifty TD pass. Yeah, let's cut him in order to keep a great between the 20s cat who scored no TDs, threw no TD passes (even though he had multiple opportunities), and got us a grand total of 3 points in his pre season game. Brilliant.

We'll see what happens Saturday.

Edited by reddogblitz